Feel like no progress

Hi,
I've been logging since 23rd Jan. I aim for a 1500 calorie intake and I exercise 5-6 a week.
Running 2×5k and 1 ×10k plus I do a weighted body sculpt session 1hr once a week and up to 2 x 30min kettlebell strength sessions using YouTube videos.
I'm 38 and 5ft 4in.
I currently weigh 56.6kg and my goal is 54.4kg
I use my fitbit charge HR to monitor my Cals burned and for my strength sessions and my tomtom to monitor my runs and cal burned.
I weight and log my food. Scales not cups.
Sorry for long post but I haven't lost for a while. Weight or inches.
Any suggestions. My diary is open so please feel free to have a look.
I keep reading about water weight but not sure what that is. I usually drink about 3l of water a day.
Just getting a bit hacked off as dont feel I'm getting out what I'm putting in.
Am I just being impatient!!

Replies

• nikolabird
    nikolabird Posts: 52 Member
    Oh and my initial weight in Jan was 59kg.
  • nikolabird
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, you are being impatient. You've lost a bit over 5 lbs since the end of January, which is around .75 lbs per week. That's as good as it gets at your size (fairly lean/light.) Congrats!

Lol thanks @jemhh. I think I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    nikolabird wrote: »
    Yes, you are being impatient. You've lost a bit over 5 lbs since the end of January, which is around .75 lbs per week. That's as good as it gets at your size (fairly lean/light.) Congrats!

Lol thanks @jemhh. I think I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Happy to be of help :)

It kind of stinks but if you are at a healthy weight, weight loss can be verrrrry slooooow.
  • nikolabird
    nikolabird wrote: »

Happy to be of help :)

It kind of stinks but if you are at a healthy weight, weight loss can be verrrrry slooooow.

I'm trying to lose my belly and it's very stubborn so I'm trying to lose any fat I have in the hope it will eventually go too. Good things come to those who wait right lol.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Sounds like you are doing well to me. Take measurements as sometimes you see loss of inches even when there isn't much movement on the scale. I like to keep trying on that pair of jeans that are too snug . You are doing awesome. Keep it up . weight loss is slower at this stage
  • nikolabird
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are doing well to me. Take measurements as sometimes you see loss of inches even when there isn't much movement on the scale. I like to keep trying on that pair of jeans that are too snug . You are doing awesome. Keep it up . weight loss is slower at this stage

Thank you @bizgirl26. It's hard sometime to stay motivated but no one else can do it for me lol.
  • neoke33
    neoke33 Posts: 15 Member
    Congratulations on your progress so far. I too am having a weight crisis. I haven't reached the level of fitness you have yet. I walk everyday at least an hour. My late afternoon walk is with two pound weights. I am on a strict 1300 calorie diet. When I weighed the last two days I gained a total of six ounces. I'm afraid to weigh today. Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.
  • jemhh
    neoke33 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your progress so far. I too am having a weight crisis. I haven't reached the level of fitness you have yet. I walk everyday at least an hour. My late afternoon walk is with two pound weights. I am on a strict 1300 calorie diet. When I weighed the last two days I gained a total of six ounces. I'm afraid to weigh today. Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

The only thing you are doing wrong is worrying about minutiae. Nobody's weight is 100% steady from day to day. Your is affected by hydration levels, hormonal shifts, the amount of waste in your body, etc. on top of whether or not you eat in a deficit.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Sometimes it is missed when a poster quotes weight in kg.s.

OP is 5'4'' 120 with a BMI of 20.6.

Being well below the 24.9 top end if the healthy weight range, weight loss will be very slow.
  • neoke33
    neoke33 Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you JEMHH. I need to keep my focus on the bigger picture.
  • dianalthomas750
    dianalthomas750 Posts: 7 Member
    Due to the exercise you're doing you could be adding muscle and I've always heard that it weighs more.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

The only thing you are doing wrong is worrying about minutiae. Nobody's weight is 100% steady from day to day. Your is affected by hydration levels, hormonal shifts, the amount of waste in your body, etc. on top of whether or not you eat in a deficit.

I agree you're putting too much emphasis on and weighing yourself too frequently. If you think of the weight change you mentioned in terms of a percentage; for a hypothetical individual weighing 150 lbs, 6 ounces equates to 0.25% which is minimal and a completely reasonable fluctuation due to all the different variables Jemhh referenced. I would suggest weighing yourself no more frequently than once per week and doing so at the same time every week to be as consistent as possible for comparison purposes (I prefer shortly after waking Monday mornings).

I know it can be hard to not focus on the scale, but consider the entirety of fitness/health beyond the number on the scale:
    - Do you feel like your fitness level is improving?
    - Have other aspects of your life improved (sleep/restfulness, aches/pains, general well-being, digestion, etc.)
    - Can you see bodily changes in the mirror or in the fit of your clothes?

• jemhh
    steveko89 wrote: »

I agree you're putting too much emphasis on and weighing yourself too frequently. If you think of the weight change you mentioned in terms of a percentage; for a hypothetical individual weighing 150 lbs, 6 ounces equates to 0.25% which is minimal and a completely reasonable fluctuation due to all the different variables Jemhh referenced. I would suggest weighing yourself no more frequently than once per week and doing so at the same time every week to be as consistent as possible for comparison purposes (I prefer shortly after waking Monday mornings).

I know it can be hard to not focus on the scale, but consider the entirety of fitness/health beyond the number on the scale:
    - Have other aspects of your life improved (sleep/restfulness, aches/pains, general well-being, digestion, etc.)

I'm not necessarily a fan of the weigh once a week method but I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference/comfort.

Women have hormonal fluctuations that cause water weight gains/losses on a regular basis. It's fairly common/normal to see weight gain both leading up to ovulation and leading up to menstruation. For a woman with a textbook 28 day cycle, that means water weight gains/losses happening in 2 week cycles. In general, women are better off comparing weights from cycle to cycle. So Day 1 of one cycle vs Day 1 of the next cycle. You may or may not want to still take/log weights on the other days, but do not compare Day 1 of this week to Day 1 of next week to Day 1 of the next week. (Hormonal BCP does not completely erase the hormonal fluctuations in case you are wondering.)
  • nikolabird
    steveko89 wrote: »

I'm not necessarily a fan of the weigh once a week method but I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference/comfort.

Women have hormonal fluctuations that cause water weight gains/losses on a regular basis. It's fairly common/normal to see weight gain both leading up to ovulation and leading up to menstruation. For a woman with a textbook 28 day cycle, that means water weight gains/losses happening in 2 week cycles. In general, women are better off comparing weights from cycle to cycle. So Day 1 of one cycle vs Day 1 of the next cycle. You may or may not want to still take/log weights on the other days, but do not compare Day 1 of this week to Day 1 of next week to Day 1 of the next week. (Hormonal BCP does not completely erase the hormonal fluctuations in case you are wondering.)

I'm on the depo injection (OCP) and haven't had a period for roughly 5 years. So I've no idea where I am cycle wise lol. Thanks for the info though. It's very informative.
  • nikolabird

Good luck on your journey. I'm sure we will achieve our goals eventually. Stay positive and focused.