Gallon of Water a Day

13»

Replies

• MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    I keep it nearby, closer than snacks and "junk" food. I find I'm pretty lazy, and will consume what is closest to me when I'm working. It's better if I'm drinking water, or an infusion instead of adding calories.
    I was thinking about this "fact" about water the other day. If you think back (as much as we can) to humans back in the day, before communal water, was there a hope in heck that they drank 64oz of water minimum a day? No way. Unless they were to sit by the stream and drink water all day, they'd never find that much just hanging around. I can definitely see try to drink a fair bit, but to have a set "minimum" for health just seems weird when we never would have had access to that much in our "natural" environment.

Humans "back in the day" had a very short life expectancy. They suffered with a myriad of other risk factors modern, "civilized" humans do not have to deal with. Many were nomadic, and trekked miles on a daily basis for their basic needs. Modern humans have the privilege of feeling proud of hiking on a treadmill for approximately half a mile once a week and calling it a workout. Apples and oranges, or in this case, nomad vs. couch potato ;)
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Frequency of output is a better indicator of hydration than color of the urine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,029 Member
    I was thinking about this "fact" about water the other day. If you think back (as much as we can) to humans back in the day, before communal water, was there a hope in heck that they drank 64oz of water minimum a day? No way. Unless they were to sit by the stream and drink water all day, they'd never find that much just hanging around. I can definitely see try to drink a fair bit, but to have a set "minimum" for health just seems weird when we never would have had access to that much in our "natural" environment.

There's a reason that early historical settlements tended to be on rivers or lakes. Read any diary of early pioneers, and you'll find water source as a very important (and often time-consuming) concern.

But I agree with the point about myriad differences between "back in the day" diet/activity and now. Finding our modern balance is the important thing.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    I use the cutest app called plant nanny! It sends you reminders to drink and as you enter your water you grow these cute little cartoon plants.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    KCMarie22 wrote: »
    Hello,

Just recently restarted working out again and I have always had problems with drinking water on a consistent basis. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on what I can do to make sure I am drinking enough water a day?

thank you.

Best way to cut through all the derp: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements