Agree, I wanna see afters!
  • TracyYinzer
    TracyYinzer Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    5'11" here and just getting started. :)

:::BUMP:::
  • glp724
    glp724 Posts: 48 Member
    So many amazing and inspiring transformations!
  • shesmartina
    shesmartina Posts: 20 Member
    You are all awesome!!
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    5'10-11 just starting CW 230 Goal 170
  • Landofkim
    Landofkim Posts: 89 Member
    Wow ! You look less then 175. What a change ! Congrats on your determination ! Inspirational . What have you been doing to achieve these result ?
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    edited March 2017
    Landofkim wrote: »
    Wow ! You look less then 175. What a change ! Congrats on your determination ! Inspirational . What have you been doing to achieve these result ?

THanks! For the first 60 lbs I just cut out carbs (<25 g/day). I have PCOS and am insulin resistant, so I've known for a long time that carbs were a problem. Then that stopped working weight-loss wise. That's when I joined MFP (and Planet Fitness) and started counting calories. That got things going again and I lost the last 65 lbs over the last 8 months. I still keep carbs lower than normal, but not nearly as restrictive (<125 g/day).

I've struggled about that 175 number. The BMI calculator puts me at a max of 164 for "normal". Once as a teenager, I got down in the 150s (high normal) and people said I looked way too thin. So even though it doesn't match up with the weight charts, I think for me 170ish is probably where I should be.
  • northdog
    northdog Posts: 43 Member

I've struggled about that 175 number. The BMI calculator puts me at a max of 164 for "normal". Once as a teenager, I got down in the 150s (high normal) and people said I looked way too thin. So even though it doesn't match up with the weight charts, I think for me 170ish is probably where I should be.

You carry your weight so well! I'm also 5'8" and currently weigh 179. I still wear size 16/18 pants and M/L tops and definitely look overweight.

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    @JulieSHelms - You really do look fantastic. And you can tell it's you because of your smile. :)

I have a similar issue with goal weight. The BMI charts say that 175 is the top of my healthy weight range. But according to body fat testing, 185 is actually fine. I'm large framed and women in my family have unusually dense bones (the doc says my 70-year-old mom has better bones than most 30-year-olds). So I'll get there and then decide what to do.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    northdog wrote: »

You carry your weight so well! I'm also 5'8" and currently weigh 179. I still wear size 16/18 pants and M/L tops and definitely look overweight.

What size frame do you have? I'm large framed which shows up in wide shoulders and huge rib cage, but I think my lower half is probably average. Don't know if it's related but I have a long back and extra vertebrae too.

TmacMMM wrote: »
    @JulieSHelms - You really do look fantastic. And you can tell it's you because of your smile. :)

I have a similar issue with goal weight. The BMI charts say that 175 is the top of my healthy weight range. But according to body fat testing, 185 is actually fine. I'm large framed and women in my family have unusually dense bones (the doc says my 70-year-old mom has better bones than most 30-year-olds). So I'll get there and then decide what to do.

Dense bones...never thought of that! How did you have that measured? So maybe the BMI chart isn't the bible on weight loss :wink: But it was helpful at 300 lbs and 3 decades to even figure out what I should aim for. Because I do weight training daily, I'm hoping I've got some heavier muscle now too. I'm definitely in better shape than probably at any other time in my life.

Btw, losing weight also cured my aortic aneurysm, left ventricular hypertrophy, arrhythmia, and gave me a solid normal A1c and cholesterol. Only problem is I'm struggling with a blood pressure that is too low now (80/40) which makes me dizzy a lot. (I'm on a bp lowering medicine off-label to treat a hormone issue with my PCOS, but now that I've lost weight it is actually impacting my bp.)

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    @JulieSHelms - Just through family history; no hard evidence, unfortunately. My grandmother had very dense bones all the way until she died at age 94. My lean 13 y.o. daughter is the same weight as her equally-lean but taller 20 y.o. step-brother. Zero osteoporosis, going back many generations.

I read an article last year about a family with very dense bones that were the subject of a multi-generational scientific study, and I wondered if we were related. :)
  • northdog
    northdog Posts: 43 Member

What size frame do you have? I'm large framed which shows up in wide shoulders and huge rib cage, but I think my lower half is probably average. Don't know if it's related but I have a long back and extra vertebrae too.

I thought I was large framed, but I don't think that's true. I have long legs and arms and thinner shoulders. My wrists are pretty slim, given my current weight. I wear a small fitbit and I only have three holes left on the band. I am pear-shaped though, so my hips and legs are larger. Right now my goal is 150.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Goal reached! I'm 50, 5'8", large frame, SW 300, GW 175. It took 17 months, 17 days.

You have truly ispired me! I'm 59 and this helps me see this journey is so worth it!
  • Ayybee1114
    Ayybee1114 Posts: 12 Member
    cm1458 wrote: »
    You can do this!
    I'm 5'9
    Start weight: 263
    165lbs right now.
    Start size: 24
    Current size: 8.
    Looking to lose about 10min - 20max more pounds :)
    Beforeat2633x2-001.jpg
    Iwin003-001.jpg
    Iwin002.jpg
    1012121322.jpg
    179443_1264079657957_6833084_n.jpg
    HairCut003-001.jpg

Did you have loose skin? I'm 5'11 240lbs and terrified of loose skin cause it's so expensive to get it removed
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!