sugar detox

I need help getting the sugar out of my system. Any good detox diets? Advice? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Sugar is not in itself bad if you don't have any medical conditions, except for your teeth.

That being said, I had a bad diet of ice cream and cookies for awhile...and anything else sweet I could get my hands on. I maintainedon't and even lost weight eating that way. But I didn't feel very good.

So I replaced the sweets with protein and fiber rich foods. I have some really tasty protein powder that satisfies my sweet cravings when I get them now. I just quit the ice cream as it was an emotional thing for me and got my emotions under control. It wasn't easy by any means and I threw a lot of stuff in the barn where I work part-time. I also focused on how much better I felt in just a short time.

TLDR; I went cold turkey for a month with ice cream.

I still stay away from ice cream but indulge every other week in a sweet delight. I also make my protein shakes the consistency of a milkshake in the blender with ice.

Hope that helps.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    I loved the book "I Quit Sugar." It is not a "detox" diet, and is a humane and science-based way to get control of your consumption. Takes about 8 weeks, not cold turkey, and you are still allowed a couple of low-glycemic index sugars, and no artificial sweeteners. Her recipes are tasty and satisfying. The idea is to clear the sugar from your system, and then reassess the amount sugar you CAN eat. Worth a look-see.
  • grannyrosey
    grannyrosey Posts: 2 Member
    It's difficult to remove sugar. I'm trying as my partner is diabetic. I've just had grilled tomato on toast and mfp says it's 22g of sugar
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    1) Sugar is not a toxin, so there's no way, nor any need, to "detox" from it.

2) Unless you have some medical condition, your body is perfectly equipped to metabolize and utilize sugar.

3) All carbohydrates are ultimately digested/metabolized into simple sugars, so unless you ingest absolutely zero carbs, you'll still have sugar in your system. And even at zero carb intake the body will convert fat into glucose because the brain preferentially uses glucose as fuel.
  • grannyrosey
    grannyrosey Posts: 2 Member
    It's difficult to remove sugar. I'm trying as my partner is diabetic. I've just had grilled tomato on toast and mfp says it's 22g of sugar

Oops I just realised I had an orange with that meal. That will be where the sugar came from.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Its wonderful if your liver is working well, it should eliminate everything which needs to go but when the digestive tract is sluggish or best part stopped you will have problems. Research is showing the most important part of our immune system is in our gut. Having a well balanced digestive microbiome is essential because all too often our least helpful microbes will demand sugar and they do not care if it comes from confectionary or from fruit and veg with the fibre it comes with and slows its release. A diet too high in "sugar" combined with poor elimination will contribute to thrush/candida outbreaks.

Unless you have repeated health problems I would not beat myself up about sugar, do what you can to reduce the added "sugar" to an amount which you are happy with. Please remember a well balanced diet contains protein, carbs, fibre, fats giving you minerals and vitamins. Fat in food has all to often been derided, this is the principal building block for our hormones, it is least easily turned into excess weight when compared with sugar. The fat in our cells can be, in the right circumstances the under the carpet response to debris from "life" that our livers etc are unable to excrete.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    After an operation I now have an allergic reaction to sugar. It's more annoying than a health issue. Even some fruit is a trigger. Many years ago I thought enough was enough.

So I just cut added sugar from my diet after about 4/6 weeks you end up not even wanting it. Anything sweet just tastes like treacle to me now. I can sit on a table with everyone else eating fancy desserts and it doesn't bother me. I can make cakes etc but not tempted to eat any.

3 years ago, we don't know why but the reaction got worse and so I ended up cutting out some of the sweeter fruits. I can't even have one bite of a mango, within seconds I have a reaction.

So if your cutting added sugar then probably best to go cold turkey as then your body gets used to it quicker. If you drink soda's then the withdrawal symptoms may be worse. Headaches mainly.

Seriously after 6 weeks you won't be interested in eating sugary things.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    I should add my diet is spot on I eat loads of veggies and fruit, good fats,nuts, seeds, fish and meat. Oh and I still put on weight even without added sugar I consumed too many Calories but not now thanks to logging.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Unless you have some sort of medical issues, quit worrying. Despite all the stuff say about detox, that's what your body does.

Do you ever drink alcohol? That's really a poison, sugar isn't! If you have a drink do you need a detox? Of course not, your body removed the poison.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Hmm, I've never seen any sugar detox clinics.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited March 2017
    Well you can stop eating any carbs But it's not recommended. Any carb you eat will be converted into sugar in your body, the rate at which it happens all depends on how rapidly that carb is digested.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    kavahni wrote: »
    I loved the book "I Quit Sugar." It is not a "detox" diet, and is a humane and science-based way to get control of your consumption. Takes about 8 weeks, not cold turkey, and you are still allowed a couple of low-glycemic index sugars, and no artificial sweeteners. Her recipes are tasty and satisfying. The idea is to clear the sugar from your system, and then reassess the amount sugar you CAN eat. Worth a look-see.

What's wrong with artificial sweeteners?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    kavahni wrote: »

What's wrong with artificial sweeteners?

duh, haven't you heard? They make you fat!!