Foods to battle depression

I have found myself battling depression due to grief. I know this is the reason I have lost my motivation to work out and eat right. I am pushing through and forcing myself to get up and get moving. What foods are there to lift spirits and give energy? Anyone else experience this.

Replies

• JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Agreed with the above, do not turn to food or any form of self medication to cure depression...

But statistics show that exercise is just as effective, maybe even more so, then medication...

You have to find peace with life as it is right now, know that everything is as was meant to be, otherwise it would not be so...

Wishing you peace...
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    I have thank you. I was looking more for foods known to improve mood and energy. I know that the journey is long, not looking for a quick fix to get over the loss of a loved one. But more trying to boost my energy in the meantime while I do the inner work.
  • Klmom123
    Thank you <3
  • sheaslounge
    sheaslounge Posts: 2 Member
    Have you tried eating more green vegetables and fruits? I have found eating more greens increases my energy. I usually will have my greens in a smoothy. Also, I have found that wheat causes me to be less energetic. Perhaps eating gluten free foods may help you. I too wish you peace...
  • Klmom123
    I do eat wheat everyday , hmm, I will try to cut that out. My smoothies are usually berry, with alittle spinach. I will increase that and see what happens. And thank you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Energy comes from calories, eat at maintenance for a while whilst you get help with your depression.

Wishing you the best.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Peppermint oil is used in aroma therapy to improve mood and increase energy.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    I have won my battle with depression. Granted I am still on tablets but i am much happier than befpre! I understand you linking food with happiness. I use to binge then sleep over and over everyday. What i did was introduced something deemed as healthy like an avocado into my diet cut my calories back and pretty much used the healthy item as i placebo. I saw i lost a little weight and thought i must be losing it because I'm eating and avocado or a banana, then it just spiraled from there. I went from adding something healthy to lose a little weight, to having almost every meal an healthy option because i saw results. It's becoming an obsession now but i love the way i feel. I love my life! I still have bad days where and i still eat junk! But just thinking 'oh i had kiwi fruit i have energy for the gym' helps me get motivated
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Working out fixes my depression; foods don't affect it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You might also look at improving your sleep and exercise. I find those two did more to lift my mood than any one food.

A well balanced meal with a variety of macros and lots of fiber I find improves my energy level.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    ^^^ you're right foods don't affect it, but i think they can affect the way you think and help motivate you
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited March 2017
    Klmom123 wrote: »
    I have found myself battling depression due to grief. I know this is the reason I have lost my motivation to work out and eat right. I am pushing through and forcing myself to get up and get moving. What foods are there to lift spirits and give energy? Anyone else experience this.

I am very sorry to hear you are grieving. I can't say I understand your specific situation and how you are feeling, but I know how I felt when grieving the loss of my fiance and the roller coaster it put me through. It is hard. My first advice is be kind to yourself.

I don't know of any food that battle depression. I slowly gained up to 300 lbs when I was grieving (over 100lbs). It wasn't until 2 years later I started to lose it again.

Don't be afraid to reach out and accept help from people. I really do recommend speaking to someone experienced in grief counseling, whether it be a therapist, social worker or crisis interventionist. They really helped me through the darkest days.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to message me. I hope you find some comfort soon. <3

ETA: there is no shame in needing/taking medication (if you end up needing to). If needed to can really help you resume your life.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I do eat wheat everyday , hmm, I will try to cut that out. My smoothies are usually berry, with alittle spinach. I will increase that and see what happens. And thank you.

Absolutely no reason to cut out wheat, or any other food group. No need to make things even more difficult and complicated than they already are.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Coffee (or tea), getting exercise (ideally outside) and being kind to myself help some. I take an anti-depressant in the winter, which levels me back out so I can make better choices.

I second the suggestions to make sure you get sufficient sleep.

And, if making these adjustments doesn't do enough, consider counseling - having someone to talk to as you work through this may be helpful.

Best wishes <3

~Lyssa
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    I have thank you. I was looking more for foods known to improve mood and energy. I know that the journey is long, not looking for a quick fix to get over the loss of a loved one. But more trying to boost my energy in the meantime while I do the inner work.

Basically, eating a nutritiously balanced mix of foods that you enjoy is the best way to boost energy. maybe doing more of your favorite foods.
  • Klmom123
    Thank you all. It's not an easy road for sure. I just feel like I am ready to get myself moving in the right direction. And it's a start to healing myself.
  • Klmom123
    elphie754 wrote: »

I am very sorry to hear you are grieving. I can't say I understand your specific situation and how you are feeling, but I know how I felt when grieving the loss of my fiance and the roller coaster it put me through. It is hard. My first advice is be kind to yourself.

I don't know of any food that battle depression. I slowly gained up to 300 lbs when I was grieving (over 100lbs). It wasn't until 2 years later I started to lose it again.

Don't be afraid to reach out and accept help from people. I really do recommend speaking to someone experienced in grief counseling, whether it be a therapist, social worker or crisis interventionist. They really helped me through the darkest days.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to message me. I hope you find some comfort soon. <3

ETA: there is no shame in needing/taking medication (if you end up needing to). If needed to can really help you resume your life.

And a special thank you to you. I'm glad you are hearing and inspiring others with your story. ❤
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    I find my depressive episodes are a lot more controlled when I am outside a lot, running everyday, medicated (my OCD meds happen to be an SSRI), and I am supplementing magnesium appropriately. Can't say any combination of foods makes it better. Anecdotally speaking I found when I was eating refined sugar it was worse, but that doesn't mean anything for you necessarily.

Definitely talk to someone OP, grief is difficult to manage and food is generally speaking not the answer to one's problems.