Friends suddenly unsupportive after losing a lot of weight?

I am at a loss and figured I'd turn to you guys to see if you've dealt with anything similar..

I started trying to lose weight in February 2016, where my starting weight was 234lbs (on a 5'3" frame..I was pretty big). In seven months, I lost 60lbs through cleaning up my diet and exercising regularly. Nothing drastic, nothing "fad-like".. Literally just hard work. I maintained my weight for 5ish months, giving my mind/body a break from such hard work, and I'm now back on track and losing weight again to lean out a bit more. I want to see the muscle definition in the muscles I've worked so hard build.

Admittedly, how I look has changed A LOT. I went from a size 20 jeans to a size 8. My face is a heck of a lot slimmer now, too. But I've worked with a dietitian and my family doctor this whole time, and I'm healthy. I am the fittest I've been in my entire 32 years of life. I climb mountains, do every single sport I ever wanted to try / participate in (easily!), and I seriously love my life. Yes, I like being smaller and like how I look more now, but it's become soooo much more than the scale.

ANYWAYS, I had a friend message me the other day after I posted a photo of myself and he went on and on, saying I "looked like a f*ing skeleton" and he's "worried I might be anorexic" and that I'm "skin and bones". Trust me, at 173lbs with a 39% skeletal muscle mass, I'm the furthest thing from skin and bones. I'm built sturdy and muscularly and built for power in all my sports I do.

How the heck do I even begin to deal with this type of criticism? Or the day-to-day coworker comments about "Oh, careful, you're getting too skinny".. I feel like telling everyone in my life that if they didn't intervene when I was obese and veryyyy unhealthy before I started weight loss, they have no right to say anything about my size now.. But there's got to be a better, less confrontational way.

I never thought I'd be on the receiving end of "thin shaming".. that's for sure!

Replies

• dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Sometimes think that an outward appearance means an inward change. I definitely noticed that in the other direction too, people treating you different as you get heavier and heavier for example. They act like getting super heavy means that there is something different about you now....
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    I have lost about 80 lbs over 2 years. My mom only puts my heaviest pics on display... But she is *like* that lol
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    cwagar123 wrote: »
    I have lost about 80 lbs over 2 years. My mom only puts my heaviest pics on display... But she is *like* that lol

Wait, why??
  • antinomiancelestial
    antinomiancelestial Posts: 36 Member
    I get this. I have lost 2 freaking pounds so far, and I had a friend express concern that I might have an eating disorder because I expressed frustration at being hungry one day. I think that as other posters have said, there's a lot of misinformation in our society about what's healthy and what's not. I'd go with what others have suggested and just say "Thanks, but I'm working with my doctor on this and feel great" if these are people you know well or just ignoring the situation if they aren't good friends.
  • lizvia
    lizvia Posts: 2 Member
    Congrats! I'm at your starting weight and 1 inch taller, just starting the journey of weight loss again! I keep going back to old habits. This time it's for my health.