Intermittent fasting and skipping breakfast

e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
I starting doing a 16:8 IMF protocol about 3 weeks ago. I fast from 8pm to noon, and then eat from noon to 8pm. This is literally the only time frame that works with my schedule. It has been working well for me so far. However, I can't help but feel torn about not eating breakfast in the morning. Isn't it the most important meal of the day to fuel your body and get your metabolism going?

I guess I'm wondering if anyone could give me some insight and information on the benefits of IMF and whether it's worth skipping breakfast for or not. Also curious... since your body is fasting, doesn't it take in whatever food it finally receives and stores it as fat since your body might be thinking it's in starvation mode?

So many IMF myths! Help!

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    "Most important meal of the day" is either an old wives tale or a tag line created by the bacon and egg industry.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    "Most important meal of the day" is either an old wives tale or a tag line created by the bacon and egg industry.

It actually seems to have been the cereal industry, as @janejellyroll said. One of several articles about it: https://priceonomics.com/how-breakfast-became-a-thing/

Immediate stand out from that article "...product invented by men like John Harvey Kellogg, a deeply religious doctor who believed that cereal would both improve Americans’ health and keep them from masturbating and desiring sex. "

I've never felt better about skipping breakfast.

He was definitely a kook, and pushed a lot of things for that reason. Including one of the most common neonatal medical procedures done to infant boys in the United States to this day.
  • Skipping breakfast worked for me for quite awhile. I eat it now because I've become accustomed to it, and I'm trying to follow a 3 meals-a-day routine at the moment.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It actually seems to have been the cereal industry, as @janejellyroll said. One of several articles about it: https://priceonomics.com/how-breakfast-became-a-thing/

Immediate stand out from that article "...product invented by men like John Harvey Kellogg, a deeply religious doctor who believed that cereal would both improve Americans’ health and keep them from masturbating and desiring sex. "

I've never felt better about skipping breakfast.

If you haven't, you should read Road to Wellville (there's a movie too, but I have not seen it). The old NYT review is still assessible: http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/02/08/home/boyle-wellville.html
    It is 1907 and the reader is invited to contemplate the inventor of cornflakes, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg of Battle Creek, Mich., a paragon of clean living who prescribes for the patients in his sanitarium not one but five enemas every single day, as well as a diet featuring nut butter, grapes, milk, a mysterious substance called Protose and a drink called kumyss (which, according to one reluctant diner, "smelled like a wet dog"). The patients at the Battle Creek Sanitarium (known to devotees simply as the San) include the usual gaggle of the wealthy and influential: "On the horizon were visits by Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, Thomas Edison, Admiral Richard E. Byrd and the voluminous William Howard Taft." It does not escape the doctor that his fortune and power owe much to their faith in him. But Dr. Kellogg is a man of convictions, too, and part of Mr. Boyle's purpose is to explore the workings of such deeply held beliefs.

EVERY religion needs a skeptic, and for the religion of "biologic living," the author provides Will Lightbody, a wealthy young man from Peterskill, N.Y., who follows his wife, Eleanor, to Battle Creek, partly to protect his marriage and partly to seek relief from his own affliction, a gut that sings with pain every time he takes a bite. Will is a victim of earlier misguided home medication: in an attempt to wean him from drink, Eleanor has been surreptitiously dosing him with Sears' White Star Liquor Cure, which turns out to be tincture of opium. To break himself of his narcotic habit, he goes back to Old Crow. By the time he arrives at the San, Will is "just one more sick man in a wheelchair," watching his wife flirt with her doctor. Kellogg diagnoses Will's problem as "autointoxication" and prescribes a regimen of fasting, exercise, enemas and "sinusoidal" baths (wherein an electric current is passed through the patient's body while his hands and feet are immersed in water)....
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I hardly ever eat breakfast unless I actually wake up really hungry. Usually don't feel the need to eat until 11 or 12, even if I get up at 8. Eat when you like.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I just feel better all around if I don't eat before exercise, so by time I get to that first meal it's after 11 at the earliest. I found it helps decrease my appetite for the remainder of the day postponing that first meal. All for I.F.
  • diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    Works for you go with it.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Yep breakfast importance is a myth, like the eating timing. I don't know the benefits of IF but for weight loss the only considerable variable is the CICO.

Starvation response only activates over long periods of low calorie restriction like a survival situation so you shouldn't worry about it. You can eat 1 meal a day like Ironandwine69 and still have a healty metabolism.

There are many studies about the food timming and weight lost. I posted this recently http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2014/06/04/ajcn.114.089573.abstract