Runners

I recently started running (about 3 weeks ago) but now Ive noticed my knees hurt alittle. Any recommendations on knee strengthening? I ride a stationary bicycle on my XT days because I dont have a pool available to me that is big enough for laps.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Did you get fitted for shoes at a running store specifically for you? Using old and worn shoes can cause problems elsewhere in the body, or using shoes that don't really match your feet i.e. arches, volume, pronation, supination, etc.

Also, starting out any new activity can cause a lot of aches and pains. Don't try to do too much, too soon. Run every other day, at most. Keep the pace slow and easy. If you are very out of shape or overweight, you might want to start with walking, to build up the muscles and tendons and joints.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    If you just started to run maybe you should use the C25K program. That program has helped me a lot (I'm a newbie runner too). You should also consider some shoes like spiriteagle suggested.
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Also do some core and hip strengthening exercises such as squats, planks or side leg lefts. A lot of running related knee problems, especially in women, relate to muscle imbalances.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    I recently started running (about 3 weeks ago) but now Ive noticed my knees hurt alittle. Any recommendations on knee strengthening? I ride a stationary bicycle on my XT days because I dont have a pool available to me that is big enough for laps.

What introductory program are you on?

Were you fitted for shoes at a running store?

Is it generalized pain (Gah, I'm sore!) or is it localized pain (I can point right here, and it hurts!)

Depending on your answers here, my reply will vary.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Agree with Corey. Where is the pain?

I bet it is a running form problem. You are probably over striding and have your knees to far out in front of your body. Google running form and make sure you are running correctly
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Don't forget stretching before and after running. It can be runner's knee.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm about to start week 5 of C25K. I've tried running time and time again, but eventually gave it up because A) my knees and hips hurt and B ) I didn't really know what I was doing. I got fit for proper shoes this time and for the first time ever, I don't hurt. And following a structured build-up program like C25K is helping me slowly become a runner. I'm running and I enjoy it. Finally. :smiley:
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited March 2017
    ^^All this. Shoes, form adjustment, strength training, starting slow and easy... Yup, all great considerations.

I would also recommend foam rolling, which is Lucifer's manifestation of self-torture, but, wow, does it help with general soreness...

Edit: Hi, @treegirl97 ! :smiley:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I'm going to guess your knees just aren't used to the stress and pounding of running yet.
    You'll probably get shin splints at some time too.
    Cut back your running a bit until the pain goes away. Then -- GRADUALLY -- increase the time/miles back up.
    We all go through this kind of thing as we learn to run and start to improve. So, take it that way. This is that first setback that indicates you are making serious progress! Congrats.
    If it doesn't get better when you cut back a bit, then consult a health professional or running coach.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I thought I couldn't run because my knees would hurt when I started running and I gave up on it. I then started walking a lot. That led to me playing Ingress.com to relieve boredom. To play faster I started running short intervals between portals. As I built up gradually over months I noticed that I was covering 5 to 7 miles a day and my knees didn't hurt. I now can run 5 to 6 times a week and often do 6 miles a day. I also do half marathons for fun. Get fitted with great shoes (currently Hoka One One Constant 2) that are larger than what you wear now. I learned this when I lost all of my toenails after the running store never pointed it out. Run as if you are running on eggs and trying not to break them. Start slow and built on it over many weeks. Many people like C25K here. When your body starts talking you need to listen but sometimes it isn't what you think. Once I developed pain in my ankle and thought it was due to the camber in the road so I switched sides. That didn't help but I finally tracked it down to a pair of sandals that caused it. Whenever I slack up on my miles due to colds or bad weather I like to go back to my "Ingress" runs to build back up.
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2017
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    If you just started to run maybe you should use the C25K program. That program has helped me a lot (I'm a newbie runner too). You should also consider some shoes like spiriteagle suggested.

This is a fantastic program. I did it a while ago and it really breaks you in slowly and comfortably. I'm certainly not a trainer or a person that's qualified to hand out advice when it comes to physical exercise, but I wonder if pedaling a bike on the off days is working your knees too hard. They need some rest between run days to recover. Your knees and legs will adjust on their own after a while as long as you're not overdoing it. One thing I found is that an actual track (at a High School, etc.) is a much more forgiving running surface. If you're running on regular pavement it can be brutal on the joints. Shoes are super important too.

Stay with it and good luck!