Have you lost weight by ditching certain foods?

13»

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Not cutting out entire groups of foods, but: when we stopped eating out (seriously stopped - we eat out maybe once a month now) and started eating at home, it must have made a huge difference. I know it was portion size, but restaurants also add way more fat to their dishes than most recipes for home use include. Fat isn't bad! But the extra fat ups the calories of restaurant food.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I was trying to think of what I have specifically cut out, but everything falls more in line with the idea that I'm actively choosing not to have it. I'm allowed to, and I consider it, but ultimately choose not to.

Except alcohol. Hubs and I were getting a little too habitual about our nightly booze, so we're conducting a "habit reset" experiment. No alcohol yet this year, but next month, we'll add it back at social events. I suspect it'll still be a rare occurrence because it sure has been nice to save all of my calories for food. :)

Pretty much this^^
  • tealtortoise
    tealtortoise Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2017
    Coffee. I have known for awhile that coffee is bad for ME. I would brew it and have with some kind of creamer (i.e.: Coffeemate, half/half, vanilla almond milk creamer, etc). Starting my day off with this sugar set me up for failure the rest of the day. It made it more difficult for me to stay on track. If I could enjoy it black, it would likely be a much different story. Anyway, the coffee (and by default, much of the caffeine) in gone and so is 25+lbs.
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Bread for me! I should stay as far away from bread as possible.. *pokes bread with a stick*
  • jennylg44
    jennylg44 Posts: 6 Member
    I completely cut out dairy and lost weight! I can't eat it at all anymore.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Since I reached my maintenance weight I only have added more food items. LOL. Specifically it's the alcohol group. It's more and different beers and wines. Some evenings can feel pretty long and that's where the drinks come in.

It's only natural that the healthier one gets, the more he/she eats with a healthier appetite.

But to stick to the topic at hand, I have cut back on salt.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Coffee. I have known for awhile that coffee is bad for ME. I would brew it and have with some kind of creamer (i.e.: Coffeemate, half/half, vanilla almond milk creamer, etc). Starting my day off with this sugar set me up for failure the rest of the day. It made it more difficult for me to stay on track. If I could enjoy it black, it would likely be a much different story. Anyway, the coffee (and by default, much of the caffeine) in gone and so is 25+lbs.

Never happen for me. I need the caffeine in the morning to wake me up!! (And I don't drink it black either - wish I liked it that way!)
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    I'm on a very low fat diet due to gallstones, averaging 15g fat a day. Has helped loads in managing gallbladder attacks and weight loss but is not healthy or sustainable long term. Also means I go over on sugar regularly but have to get the calories in some how. It's interesting that people have been advising me (not on here) to eat "good" fats, unfortunately my gallbladder doesn't recognise the difference
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    mymy1997 wrote: »
    Hello there, I hope you have a wonderful day. I have hypothyroidism and I have stopped eating bread since it makes me sluggish and I feel like passing out after indulging in carbohydrates. So have you cut out any foods from your diet and started noticing real results?

My diet changes were made to see if I could manage my joint and muscle pain without Rx meds that had potential serious side effects.

I cut out added sugar, all forms of all grains and kept all carbs to <50 grams daily and medium protein.

In just 30 days my pain levels of 7-8 for the past 40 years dropped to 2-3 levels. Yes 2.5 years I am still eating LCHF with great success per my lab reports. Resolving early cataract formation in each eye was the most unexpected.

@mymy1997 best of success and welcome to MFP forums.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I don't really cut anything out because as soon as I cut out "X", all I want to eat/crave is "X". Instead I just stopped buying certain things to have hanging around the house and use them more for special occasions or date night. For example, chips and salsa. If I had these around the house, it would be a free for all until they are gone. So now, DH and I just do a date night at a mexican place when we are craving it and I eat the chips and salsa then.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited March 2017
    No, but I eat less mayo because when I look at calories I decide (usually) that I want something else instead for the amount of calories. I probably used about 6tbsp on my sandwich before (270 calories by itself) so now I use maybe 1tbsp or mix light mayo with hot sauce *or* use mustard (0 calories). Then I can have a snack.