How do you work out?

Gosh I know this seems like a stupid question but I just got a gym membership. Normally I run as a workout and that is it. I feel like I have NO idea how to exercise in a gym?
What do you guys do?

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Right now, I'm sticking with the recumbent bike for 30-45 mins a day until I build up some endurance. I will then probably start in on strength training in about a month or so. The ellipticals look easy and fun, but I've never been able to find one that doesn't feel odd or "jerky" in movement. I don't like treadmills only because I always get blisters on the backs of my feet regardless of the shoe I'm wearing, and my bad knees can't take the impact. We do have a pool and once that warms up a bit, I'll be swimming after my bike rides :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    If you're talking about the weight room, there are a myriad of established programs out there to choose from. I highly recommend using an established program for weight training.

I have a trainer and though I don't work with him one on one much anymore, he puts my programming together. I also cycle.
  • CutieCait123
    CutieCait123 Posts: 39 Member
    I definitely enjoy swimming and I could see myself doing laps in the pool. I just feel like I have no idea how to workout with equipment. Is a gym membership even worth having? I can do pushups, situps, planks, at home. Not sure I just feel silly.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    I lift things up and put them down!

All kidding aside, medium weight lifting 3 days a week and cardio 3 days a week.. HIIT two of those 3 days and maybe a long brisk walk the other.
  • CutieCait123
    LOL it's okay I have a sense of humor!

Medium weight lifting on the machines or do you use free weights?
    TheRambler wrote: »

All kidding aside, medium weight lifting 3 days a week and cardio 3 days a week.. HIIT two of those 3 days and maybe a long brisk walk the other.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I used to drive to the gym only to get on a bike to warm up before lifting. I started to question this logic so now I run in the morning and plan my route to go by the gym so no warm up is required. To speed things up I just do a nautilus set and focus mainly on running. Of course I am only interested in staying in shape and not trying to bulk up.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    I just had a c-section so I've got 3 weeks left before doc clears me for weights so I just do an hour on the Arc Trainer for now.

It's been a year since I lifted, but when I do get back into it I usually rotate back and abs one day, arms/shoulders/chest one day, and hips/thighs/calves one day, no weight day, and start over if I remember correctly. Hubby is my weight lifting buddy and I usually just follow suit with what he's doing. I do the Arc Trainer every day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Machines have their place, but they really shouldn't be at the foundation of your programming as they work primarily in isolation. You'll get the most bang for your buck doing compound movements using free weights followed by some isolation work as applicable to your programming.

A couple of good beginner programs are New Rules of Lifting for Women (which is a good read in and of itself as it helps explain a lot of things and dis-spells a lot of myths and hangups that woman tend to have in regards to lifting)...Strong Curves is another good one. Both of these are geared towards women and have a more general fitness focus...programs like StrongLifts 5x5 are great as well and are geared towards optimal strength.
    I definitely enjoy swimming and I could see myself doing laps in the pool. I just feel like I have no idea how to workout with equipment. Is a gym membership even worth having? I can do pushups, situps, planks, at home. Not sure I just feel silly.

A gym membership is worth having if you have a reason to go to a gym...I go to the gym to lift...that's the only reason I'm there.

Body weight work is fine and many people have done well with it...it becomes more difficult to progressively overload though (which is where the benefits ultimately come in) as you can't just throw on another plate...you have to progressively make the movement more difficult by performing variations.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    I just started going back to the ymca. For now I walk half a mile as fast as i can lol around their track to warm up n then i pick whatever machine speaks to me day .. i do it for 30 mins on a "fat burning" preset program, then i walk around the track again for a half mile but a bit slower as a cool down. today was only my second day.. i'll build on that after 4 or so days. i don't want to over do it to where i am so sore that i can't workout for a few days lol
  • SafwanKhanzada
    SafwanKhanzada Posts: 10 Member
    Best way is to do cardio as a starting exercise for 10 to 15 minutes. After that you can hit the weights, light weights if you prefer and in the end a strong aerobic session. I do this daily but with heavy weight and it surely does gives you the best results!
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    also i pay to go otherwise i wouldn't go if it were free (free = exercising at home lol).
  • JasonlRoeder
    JasonlRoeder Posts: 729 Member
    It depends on your goals. You can lift light weights for many reps to gain strength and definition or lift heavy to gain strength and mass. I have a membership but am too busy to go. I usually do calisthenics at home.
  • CutieCait123
    Thank you I will be looking into all of that! That was very helpful.

cwolfman13 wrote: »

Machines have their place, but they really shouldn't be at the foundation of your programming as they work primarily in isolation. You'll get the most bang for your buck doing compound movements using free weights followed by some isolation work as applicable to your programming.

A couple of good beginner programs are New Rules of Lifting for Women (which is a good read in and of itself as it helps explain a lot of things and dis-spells a lot of myths and hangups that woman tend to have in regards to lifting)...Strong Curves is another good one. Both of these are geared towards women and have a more general fitness focus...programs like StrongLifts 5x5 are great as well and are geared towards optimal strength.

A gym membership is worth having if you have a reason to go to a gym...I go to the gym to lift...that's the only reason I'm there.

Body weight work is fine and many people have done well with it...it becomes more difficult to progressively overload though (which is where the benefits ultimately come in) as you can't just throw on another plate...you have to progressively make the movement more difficult by performing variations.

• TheRambler

;)

I use free weights because balance is more important than how much weight. It really works more muscles in diffent ways!!

Feel free to ask for any advice!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I don't got to a gym - no time and the nearest one is pretty far away.

During the warmer months I rarely exercise as I'm very active outside (garden, yard work, hiking, basketball, etc.)

When it's too cold for outdoor activities I do a lot of step aerobics in front of the TV and this year I bought a Total Gym which I totally love. I used to do strength training with dumbbells and resistance bands but the Total Gym is much easier.
  • davidhoaran2010
    davidhoaran2010 Posts: 1 Member
    its taken me 6 months to get a settled training programme, I did start with a PT who set me up for 10 lesson.
    My routine tends to be a cardio class , then a session on free weights working 2 muscle groups plus abs 30-40 mins, if time permits its a quick dip in the pool. If I do not do a class I warm up usually on the rower try and and 2000m in that 10 mins, go through my routine max time 35 mins, then another session on either tread mill or bike 15-20 mins, then cool down, I train for for 5 days and rest for 2 ., then no eating for 60 mins let the body keep working. I have lost nearly 20 kilo and getting toned. I try and mix it up, hope this helps
  • TheRambler
    Every morning..Sit ups, push ups, lunges, squats, planks, crunches.. I try to add a new exercise each week and additional reps each day. It doesn't really matter what you do.. just do something.

Great point. My fitness watch yells at me when I'm on my butt too long. Worth it.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    It was just over a year ago that I got my gym membership (just our gym at work). Here is what a typical week looks like for me:

--2 days heavy lifting, lower (<12) reps with dumbbells (1 hour sessions)
    --2 days fitness class with lighter DBs, higher reps (>15) (1/2 hour sessions) + 20-30 min Arc trainer
    --1 day all cardio: Arc trainer/rowing machine (40-50 min)

This in addition to lots of walking, heavy gardening, and biking at home, and calisthenics with my 7 year old who has recently become interested in fitness.

If I can't work out at the gym, I will do my heavy lifting at home, and replace the class with a Jillian Michaels session like intermediate 30-Day Shred.

My heavy lifting program was designed by my personal trainer, who is also conveniently my nephew. :) I am very pleased with my 6-week program and have been doing it since I joined the gym; your gym might have trainers who will offer a free session where they can check you for form, give you some pointers, etc. Taking a class or two might be an easier way to get into it and help you get your bearings without committing to a trainer right away. I definitely cosign the recommendation to do free weights rather than the machines, although I will occasionally use the lat pull down or dual axis row machines to replace other exercises.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Stronglifts is a decent one to start that is fairly simple and quick. (Alternates squats, rows, bench press with squats, overhead press, deadlift -- all compound movements that will get multiple muscles including core). In addition to squats and some compound pulling, pushing-type movements, I tend to add planks, box jumps, some extra arm work if I have the time; and do a warmup on the elliptical and some non-weighted squats, toe touches followed by stretching beforehand.

On running days, some non-weighted squats, toe touches, push-ups (and stretching).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    It depends on your goals. You can lift light weights for many reps to gain strength and definition or lift heavy to gain strength and mass. I have a membership but am too busy to go. I usually do calisthenics at home.

Think you got that backwards, You lift for many reps 10-15 for mass, some enderance, and strength (mostly mass), heavy weight is for strength (1-5 reps) with minimal mass