How do you work out?

2»

Replies

• Tylerman35
    Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
    I do calisthenics and have a flexible program I follow from a trainer. I don't use weights hardly ever
  • noellysilva
    noellysilva Posts: 14 Member
    I do strength training and cardio usually either the stair master or high intervals. It really depends on which machines are available since the gym gets packed
  • trorion
    trorion Posts: 13 Member
    Walk around the gym and find the people that look like they are in the shape that you want to be in. Do what they do. Please note that free weight areas tend to have about 6 men to every woman. If you're not sure how to do a lift ask (preferably someone who works there).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...Is a gym membership even worth having? I can do pushups, situps, planks, at home. Not sure I just feel silly.

It's not essential, but it can be helpful to some people. For instance, me. I don't work out at home. I have to physically leave my home to get motivated. It's a mental thing. If something is available all the time at my house, I just won't ever get around to it. I'll keep putting it off. And there are so many other distractions at home, so many ways to put it off.

My brother gave me his treadmill that was collecting dust. It just continued to collect dust at my house, too, so I sold it and split the profits with him. The thing about the gym is I pay for that membership (not very much, but I still hate wasting money) so I go there and I use it. And there are a variety of things I can do there - not just that stupid treadmill. Once I've gotten myself there, I'm not going to waste my time doing nothing. Plus, there aren't any other distractions there like I'd have at home. It's just working out. Mentally, just taking the effort to get geared up and leave the house puts me in a different frame of mind.

I don't think that's how everybody works, though. There are plenty of people who prefer working out at home, and tons who get a membership and then never use it. Just figure out what's most helpful to you and do it!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Just go to a gym, see a personal trainer to write you a program. Depending on what you want. I. E to tone your legs, build bit of strength etc. And they should show you how to perform the exercise with good form, how many sets to do. Don't worry, you will enjoy it :)
  • dirty559
    dirty559 Posts: 4 Member
    I find that a great start especially for women is to use more machine weights. Using machines minimizes improper form and more importantly injuries.
    Do legs every four days and back then chest there after, something to work towards 3 days in one to two days off
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I have no idea since I don't go to the gym... :wink:

I do however use my home as my gym and the great outdoors :smiley:
  • cayordogfood
    cayordogfood Posts: 5 Member
    Gosh I know this seems like a stupid question but I just got a gym membership. Normally I run as a workout and that is it. I feel like I have NO idea how to exercise in a gym?
    What do you guys do?

Are used to be really physically fit but I did my workout at home I like did an hour of weightlifting an hour of cardio an hour on the treadmill I think it depends on your body and your metabolism and what works for you because there's so many weight options out there because not everything works for one individual I should say every individual what works for me was a high-protein low-carb racquet diet and a lot a lot of exercise
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm sure I'll get pushback on this, but my advice would be quit the gym and go outside and play. Did you need a schedule and plan when you were a kid? No--you ran, you swam, you jumped, you climbed, you rode your bike, you skated, and you were probably more athletic than you are now. I was an obese gym member for 20 years. Then I quit, and I started actually USING my body and I lost 80ish pounds. And I am not that much of a one-off. Take a look around your gym--you see a lot of fit healthy people there?

To answer your actual question--I cycle as my main sport. But I also hike the state parks, go kayaking, take my dogs to the park....
  • CutieCait123
    CutieCait123 Posts: 39 Member
    I'm sure I'll get pushback on this, but my advice would be quit the gym and go outside and play. Did you need a schedule and plan when you were a kid? No--you ran, you swam, you jumped, you climbed, you rode your bike, you skated, and you were probably more athletic than you are now. I was an obese gym member for 20 years. Then I quit, and I started actually USING my body and I lost 80ish pounds. And I am not that much of a one-off. Take a look around your gym--you see a lot of fit healthy people there?

To answer your actual question--I cycle as my main sport. But I also hike the state parks, go kayaking, take my dogs to the park....

I really like your post. That's why I struggled with going to the gym because I have a two year old and we play outside and kayak together. The gym feels pointless for me but I paid for the membership and feel like I have to go now.