New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    This is amazing!!! FINALLY some people who aren't obsessed with sticking 'under their calorie goal' I can't tell you how sick to death I am of people congratulating each other for not eating enough! Hi everyone :smile:
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Hi! Welcome!
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Kkmama wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm Christina.
    I am at my wits end.
    I have found previous success on mfp and lost 40 lbs eating between 1600- 1800 calories a day with exercising 30 mins a day. I felt amazing. That was six years ago...

Then my knee trouble got in the way and had to stop working out and finally had a total knee replacement and I recommitted myself to being healthy. I have seen numerous Naturopaths, spent $$, and taken handfuls of supplements. I go to the gym daily and either take a cardio class or a class that involves weights. And no weight loss!

I have been logging my food daily for 75 days, trying to find a range to eat at... tried 1650 calories and have gone as low as 1300 calories. I'm 5'9" and presently weigh 222. I am active. My TDEE is 2357 with my BMR at 1693.

Any insight and success stories eating this way would be greatly appreciated.

When I saw my Dr. for my physical we of course talked about my weight. His response was, "Maybe you're just meant to be big!!!!" I almost lost it on him. Then he said... you're hitting middle age! I'm turning 50 this summer!

Thanks for listening!

Christina

Hi Christina!
    I know this will come as counter intuitive, but one of the reasons why you are finding it hard to lose weight is because you aren't eating enough!
    Even if you took the maximum cut we recommend (15%) you should be eating 2003 calories.
    I would recommend adding 100 calories per week to get back up to at least 2000 calories.
    You may benefit going up to eating at your TDEE for a while.
    You may find this blog on plateaus useful;
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/workout-or-diet-plateau/
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    This is amazing!!! FINALLY some people who aren't obsessed with sticking 'under their calorie goal' I can't tell you how sick to death I am of people congratulating each other for not eating enough! Hi everyone :smile:

Hi!
    Yes you will find excellent support in this group with plenty of excellent eats going on too! ;)
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • FlipNFly2
    FlipNFly2 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello! My name is Alana and I just found this forum! I'm here because I recently gained back 30lbs after maintaining that loss for two years. I also just turned 40 and freaked out! Im an athletic trainer and I work with collegiate athletes daily! I am constantly asked to advise them on nutrition and strength training and health and wellness and I feel like if I'm going to talk the talk I need to walk the walk! I've recently started doing the same lifts my athletes are so I'm lifting heavy and squishing in triathlon training but I'm GAINING weight not losing! And it's not just weight! None of my clothes fit!! I know diet is my issue so I want to try this and hopefully it's the ticket back to my old body! Attached is a pic of what I looked like 3 years ago and what I look now!! You will clearly see why I'm here!! bjxxk1pqmx0z.png
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Welcome to the group @FlipNFly2
    First off.. are you sure you are eating enough? if you are doing both weight training AND training for a triathlon, your body is in definite overdrive and needs to be fed properly. Have you taken a look at our calculator to find out what your TDEE should be? http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Keep in mind with your activity, you are well ABOVE strenuous so even at the high end the calculator might not be completely accurate for you.
    Most athletes find they have to pick their activity of choice and train for that. A lot of marathon runners will train only endurance leading up to their race and then when finished, head back to a strength based program. You may find with your triathlon, your energy is needed for the cardio aspect and the weights might have to be pushed aside until the race is complete.

Any questions we are around to help!
    Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • FlipNFly2
    FlipNFly2 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi Kelly! I'm sure I'm eating too much of all the wrong stuff which is why the macro breakdown your calculator gave is perfect! As for training currently I'm in the preparatory cycle for tri so I'm lifting 3 days a week running two and biking one. When I can! Right now my work schedule is chaos because one of my teams is vying for an NCAA national championship so work has put a damper on my fitness! After next week I should be able to fall back into a routine. I won't be swimming until it warms up because I hate swimming in pools ;-) I'm only training for sprint distance tri and one early season half marathon so my distances are short. In three weeks I will transition into competitive season training so my lifting drops to two days a week and becomes more about power and maintanence less strength building and my cardio will ramp up as I increase my run distances and days, add an additional bike day and start adding in the dreaded swimming! My problem has always been that when I do workout a lot I tend to "reward" myself with food. I need to learn to eat to fuel and not to eat to reward. I still haven't found the right balance between eating too much and not eating enough. Which is why I set my activity level at active and not extremely active. Plus I never seem to get in all the training the plan calls for! I need to learn to eat to my macros not to a calorie count and I'm hoping that's what this group can help me do! I definitely get way to many carbs and not enough protein. Plus I have a GIANT sweet tooth I have to learn to contain!! Thanks for the input! Hopefully with the help of this group I can finally find the right balance for me and start to shed some of this extra weight cause it's embarrassing being a fat triathlete and a fat athletic trainer!!
  • CorinnePina
    CorinnePina Posts: 26 Member
    Hello everybody, HELP!
    I'm getting too fat for no explainable reason. I gained 6 pounds for no reason! I eat a way less than my BMR and workout!! My BMR is 1,685 calories per day.I eat about 1,500 calories a day and burn 600/day with exercise
    My nutritionist says I need to eat more because my body is in starvation mode . She said that some weight gain is normal during the metabolic reset....I'm gonna look like a house for a while. It feels terrible!! 0533d9cq4kdp.jpg I attached my metabolic testing.
  • empressichel
    Hi @CorinnePina
    Yes, your nutritionist is totally right, not eating nearly enough. Eating below your BMR means you aren't eating enough to sustain your body if it was in a comatose state.
    Have you checked out our calculator to see what you need to work up to for your maintenance or TDEE level?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    And the information about a reset?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    And don't worry! If you take the increases slowly, it minimises any weight gain. Just imagine how much better your body is going to feel when you start having more food! You've got this!
    Have you got our starter kit?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
    This will help answer a lot of your questions that will come up.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • CorinnePina
    Thank you @empressichel ! I posted the same question in the general weight loss forum and people were attacking me that such a thing does not exist, even questioning my nutritionist's credentials . I felt horrible reading it. Then they went on and saying that there is no such a thing as under eating. I guess I trust you and my nutritionist.
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    CorinnePina, that's exactly why I avoid the general forums. Some of the people there are nasty rude. You sure won't find that mentality here. :wink:
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    I admit I do read the general forums occasionally just to remember what it was like out the "outside" I love these forums and what we do here just makes sense - mathematically and otherwise!
    Welcome Corrine :smiley:
  • lunabellz
    lunabellz Posts: 20 Member
    Hi, I joined because it sounded great and I just rejoined MFP to try new ideas. I'm 67 with some health issues and I need to loose some weight. I love dogs. I'm retired. I love to read and I'm onGoodreads site and active in several of the groups.
  • empressichel
    Hi @pitbullmama1 Glad you joined our group and I hope you will find it helpful and supportive.
    After you go through all the stickies at the top of the group and have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    FlipNFly2 wrote: »
    Hi Kelly! I'm sure I'm eating too much of all the wrong stuff which is why the macro breakdown your calculator gave is perfect! As for training currently I'm in the preparatory cycle for tri so I'm lifting 3 days a week running two and biking one. When I can! Right now my work schedule is chaos because one of my teams is vying for an NCAA national championship so work has put a damper on my fitness! After next week I should be able to fall back into a routine. I won't be swimming until it warms up because I hate swimming in pools ;-) I'm only training for sprint distance tri and one early season half marathon so my distances are short. In three weeks I will transition into competitive season training so my lifting drops to two days a week and becomes more about power and maintanence less strength building and my cardio will ramp up as I increase my run distances and days, add an additional bike day and start adding in the dreaded swimming! My problem has always been that when I do workout a lot I tend to "reward" myself with food. I need to learn to eat to fuel and not to eat to reward. I still haven't found the right balance between eating too much and not eating enough. Which is why I set my activity level at active and not extremely active. Plus I never seem to get in all the training the plan calls for! I need to learn to eat to my macros not to a calorie count and I'm hoping that's what this group can help me do! I definitely get way to many carbs and not enough protein. Plus I have a GIANT sweet tooth I have to learn to contain!! Thanks for the input! Hopefully with the help of this group I can finally find the right balance for me and start to shed some of this extra weight cause it's embarrassing being a fat triathlete and a fat athletic trainer!!

First of all, never be embarrassed about your size and what you can do. You can do things 98% of the world wont even attempt in life, and to be embarrassed that you are larger than someone else doing the activity is absurd. Why does it matter if you arent the typical "ripped" trainer? Would you tell one of your clients to be embarrassed about wanting to better themselves because they don't look like the perfect triathlete? No. So why are you berating yourself for it? Be proud of what your body can do at ALL sizes and stages, and not be mortified that you don't fit society's mold of what a trainer should look like. Personally, I prefer speaking to trainers who have life experience in the quest for a better body, rather than someone who has zero % body fat.

Im going to go out on a limb here and tell you, you are not eating enough. Your activity level is well over active and definitely in the strenuous area. Automatically by doing a triathlon your body is required to be in a cardio generated mode for a long time. I suggest you read this and see if it helps shine a light on your cardio routine
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/final-nail-in-the-cardio-coffin

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a triathlon or half marathon (I did a half myself), its important to know that a cardio based exercise like that will NOT yield the same results as lifting heavy weights. Its important to fuel the body properly for your activity level and this is definitely higher than Active. I would revisit the calculator I posted above and make your activity level the highest the calculator says. Do you wear a fitbit or similar gadget? That will also help you determine a rough estimate of activity because you are in a steady state cardio program.

As for eating your macros, focus on what you can ADD to your day, rather than what you can SUBTRACT. It is far easier to think about adding more protein into your day rather than eliminating carbs. By adding in the protein, you will start to edge out the extra carbs and the macros will eventually balance out.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • CorinnePina
    I just can't eat that much! My TDEE is 2,364 calories and make it to 1,600 at most. I'm not losing weight yet despite that increased from 1,300-1,400. I feel very bloated and rather gained 1 pound. Should I keep going?
  • Raynn1
    I just can't eat that much! My TDEE is 2,364 calories and make it to 1,600 at most. I'm not losing weight yet despite that increased from 1,300-1,400. I feel very bloated and rather gained 1 pound. Should I keep going?

You can:).. believe me, it gets easier to eat more, the longer you do it.. just slowly increase 100 cals or so each week or two. You will be amazed how much more food your body actually needs and will eventually tell you it needs. (hunger pains etc)... I went from about 1400 cals to 2400 really quickly.. and then spent a long time around 2800... before jumping up to MY TDEE of 3200... it can be done and when you are ready, you will do it:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • CorinnePina
    Hi @CorinnePina
    Yes, your nutritionist is totally right, not eating nearly enough. Eating below your BMR means you aren't eating enough to sustain your body if it was in a comatose state.
    Have you checked out our calculator to see what you need to work up to for your maintenance or TDEE level?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    And the information about a reset?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    And don't worry! If you take the increases slowly, it minimises any weight gain. Just imagine how much better your body is going to feel when you start having more food! You've got this!
    Have you got our starter kit?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
    This will help answer a lot of your questions that will come up.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
    Raynn1 wrote: »

You can:).. believe me, it gets easier to eat more, the longer you do it.. just slowly increase 100 cals or so each week or two. You will be amazed how much more food your body actually needs and will eventually tell you it needs. (hunger pains etc)... I went from about 1400 cals to 2400 really quickly.. and then spent a long time around 2800... before jumping up to MY TDEE of 3200... it can be done and when you are ready, you will do it:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL

I am close to 1,700 calories right now. I gained 3 pounds is that normal? Should I still be increasing?
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Mikki, I am here to lose about 100lbs. I've previously tracked macros, but decided to try something different due to struggling with weight loss. I had a friend point me this way. I am currently trying to wrap my mind around eating more than what I am used to, it is a bit scary to think I can lose at eating 2400 cals a day!
  • empressichel
    @corinnepina Yes it is quite normal to gain weight when you are increasing calories. Just keep steady and keep increasing slowly. 3 pounds could be due to monthly fluctuations, water weight so many things.
    Keep going you are doing great!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL