Sick and tired of notice 'Not eating enough calories'!

I just emailed support because I am so sick and tired of this app not allowing people to eat under 1000 cal. my endocrinologist says it is perfectly fine to eat 1000 cal or even less. There are hundreds if not millions of people that eat them that many calories and are perfectly healthy. I like having the Weight loss prediction when you complete your diary, it's very motivating! My fitness pal needs to stop acting like they are doctors. Sorry, I just needed to vent. ( I did emailed them many times but I don't think they're going to change it. They are concerned about people who have eating disorders and I understand that but there are a lot more people that follow a doctors order to reduce their calories and we are not being recognized.)

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Presumably you have an hormonal imbalance that is preventing weight loss? Has your endocrinologist prescribed any hormones to help bring them back into balance?

How much weight do you need to lose? If a lot, consistent and substantial under-eating will likely result in more lean body mass loss than is healthy which would likely impact on metabolism even more.

• DustinAllgood
    DustinAllgood Posts: 7 Member
    This happens to me a lot. What I do is just add something that I dident eat under snacks to put me over their minimum. That way you can log your food diary.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Just don't close out your diary. If your doctor is fine with it and is monitoring your health markers, you know what you're doing is right. That said, doctors aren't the best at giving calorie advice.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I don't know how an endocrinologist can make a blanket statement like that. It would depend if that 1000 calories was giving you enough fat, protein and all your micros.
  • annobrien2978
    annobrien2978 Posts: 13 Member
    Sound odd someone advising you to eat under 1000 calories when.all nutritionists advise eating no less then.1200 the app closes on.1000 anything less is not healthy
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't know how an endocrinologist can make a blanket statement like that. It would depend if that 1000 calories was giving you enough fat, protein and all your micros.

It would be a challenge with food but medically prescribed diets are available with full nutrition at well below that. Someone following the 8 week Newcastle Diabetes Diet for example might want to use MFP to monitor their intake which has about 200 cals of food on top of the medical weight loss preparation.

Personally I find the weight loss projection beyond useless so the simple act of not closing the diary avoids the message. I presume it's not there on Premium either as that can be set up with different calories per day so doesn't imply you're trying to live off 500 cals just because you do that 2 days a week on 5:2.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Don't push the complete button then. You know they have a very good legal reason to give people eating below the recommended minimum a notice. You are not required to complete your diary to use it to track your food. Everything you log is there even if you do not hit the complete button. I haven't completed my diary for a year probably and everything I logged is there.
    It is interesting that you find the weight loss prediction message motivating since most agree that it is not accurate.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Just don't close your diary...problem solved. The act of closing and seeing that message is meant solely for you, the user, so if you don't require it.....just log as you see fit! xo
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited March 2017
    This happens to me a lot. What I do is just add something that I dident eat under snacks to put me over their minimum. That way you can log your food diary.

Then your diary isn't accurate? Why lie? In the end, you're only fooling yourself...and possibly sabotaging your efforts to boot.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Lol. Just stop logging.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Just don't close out your diary. If your doctor is fine with it and is monitoring your health markers, you know what you're doing is right. That said, doctors aren't the best at giving calorie advice.

This. OP, You've already acknowledged the reason why MFP doesn't allow this, it motivates those who are undereating by providing them a weight loss prediction. Interestingly, you said you find this motivational as well. This is a little concerning.

What is your weight loss goal OP, and what will your maintenance calorie target be?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Quel45 wrote: »
    I just emailed support because I am so sick and tired of this app not allowing people to eat under 1000 cal. my endocrinologist says it is perfectly fine to eat 1000 cal or even less. There are hundreds if not millions of people that eat them that many calories and are perfectly healthy. I like having the Weight loss prediction when you complete your diary, it's very motivating! My fitness pal needs to stop acting like they are doctors. Sorry, I just needed to vent. ( I did emailed them many times but I don't think they're going to change it. They are concerned about people who have eating disorders and I understand that but there are a lot more people that follow a doctors order to reduce their calories and we are not being recognized.)

No, you have no way to know what effect eating so little has had on their health. Many people post here about the fatigue, anemia, hair loss, and other effects of malnutrition after eating so low for an extended period of time.
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    I'd be concerned about metabolic damage and deficiencies in the long run. I'd run it by a dietitian they can help alter a patient's nutrition based on their medical condition and needs. Dietitians are regulated healthcare professionals licensed to assess, diagnose, and treat nutritional concerns.
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    I'd be concerned about metabolic damage and deficiencies in the long run. I'd run it by a dietitian they can help alter a patient's nutrition based on their medical condition and needs. Dietitians are regulated healthcare professionals licensed to assess, diagnose, and treat nutritional concerns.

Many studies have established that periodic fasting is not in any way harmful or nutritionally unsound. When it's done responsibly, there is no "metabolic damage."
  • Wolvmarine
    Wolvmarine Posts: 3 Member
    Quel45 wrote: »

Agreed I have contacted their support team as well just to get some canned reply. I do intermittent fasting everyday and run in a fasted state and consume less than 500 calories at times. The wait lose is great and I become very ripped as well. So yes it's annoying to see that every day