Is walking enough exercise to lose body-fat?

Can I lose body-fat with only walking (maybe with some short bursts of running, here and there) as my exercise?

MFP worked out my calorie goal as 1200 calories.
165cm.
177lbs.

Can't afford to go to gym or exercise classes, I have a treadmill at home.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Yes if you're in a calorie deficit.

You might want to think about adding some strength/resistance training as well as walking.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    edited March 2017

You might want to think about adding some strength/resistance training as well as walking.

How is strength/resistance training done?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

How is strength/resistance training done?

Using either your bodyweight or weights.

Body by you and new rules of lifting for women would be good starting points.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    If you have a treadmill get on it. It burns calories and increases core strength. Plus if you can put it at 6% grade even more is accomplished. Start trying to do 10 min twice a day and work up from there. I did that and now am up to 2-30 minute sessions a day and take Sundays off.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Yes, as long as you're at a calorie deficit you can lose weight even without exercise, but walking has a lot of benefits and can definitely help.

If you also want to add some strength training type exercises without cost or a gym membership, you can find free "bodyweight exercise" apps and routines online.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Yes, I have a friend who lost 150 lbs over a couple of years, by cutting out junk food and walking *everywhere*. She never even counted calories, but she was walking a few miles a day, which gave her enough of a calorie deficit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    bobtater1 wrote: »
    If you have a treadmill get on it. It burns calories and increases core strength. Plus if you can put it at 6% grade even more is accomplished. Start trying to do 10 min twice a day and work up from there. I did that and now am up to 2-30 minute sessions a day and take Sundays off.

Or, you know, go outside. Enjoy the spring flowers and the sunshine.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    I started out at 177 lbs , and all I did was power walk and a little jogging from one tree to another. And I lost my body fat.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    The other I agree with the other posters. To lose weight you don't have to exercise it's just a matter of eating at a calorie deficit and you will lose the

As far as walking it's a great exercise and it's absolutely free
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,300 Member
    I lost 80lbs just walking---CICO & cardio.... you can---if you want to bump it up start a HIIT program on your treadmill... plus add hills/incline too.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Can I lose body-fat with only walking (maybe with some short bursts of running, here and there) as my exercise?

MFP worked out my calorie goal as 1200 calories.
    165cm.
    177lbs.

Can't afford to go to gym or exercise classes, I have a treadmill at home.

Yes. I walk sometimes, and use the treadmill at home sometimes. But the real key is to monitor your calorie intake and maintain a daily deficit on the MFP chart.