Jason's OMAD Journal

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Way to go! Are you getting stronger with your lifts as your losing?
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Way to go! Are you getting stronger with your lifts as your losing?

Hard question to answer... I was pretty decent in the strength category last year, and then I tore a biceps tendon. After surgery to reattach it and 6 weeks of recovery, the doc cleared me to begin rehab on my own, which was very slow. So to get everything back in balance, last month I started a Stronglifts 5x5 over from the start. If you are not familiar, it only uses 5 compound lifts and is a great tool (I would argue one of the best) for establishing strength. The program starts everyone off with an empty bar for everything except deadlifts, and increases the weight 5lbs each workout. So...to answer your question, compared to where I was, the workout is not very challenging, yet. I already can start to feel the increases and know the tough part is coming.

I would recommend Stronglifts to anyone starting out. It will give you a great base for both strength and form, then you can tailor your strength workouts later. There is a great app for it as well..
  • blambo61
    edited March 2017
    @Vanguard1
    I've not done that program but it sounds good. I am a believer in doing compound lifts and not a million isolation lifts. I read some of the Leangain's guys weight lifting recommendations and modified that a bit for what I liked.

My routine now is I perform the lifts twice a week, I do an inverse pyramid with two warm up sets and it goes like this:

7 x .5GW (goal weight) - warmup set
    3 x .75GW - warmup set
    10 x GW - a lot more than what leangains recommends
    10 x .9GW
    10 x .8 GW

If I can do all that, then I move up 5-lbs or the next increment.

I think starting very light and moving up is smart. I had a knee injury end of last year and I haven't done leg presses or deadlifts cause of it and am starting at ground zero there with the bar just starting yesterday.

I'm doing bench, lat pull-down, mil press, row, dips, upright rows, crunches, backups on Tues and Fri and

deadlift, leg presses, and calf raises on Mon and Thurs after running.

What are the 5-lifts your program does?
  • Vanguard1
    Stronglifts consists of 2 workouts, alternating, with a rest day in between.

Workout A: Squat, Bench press, Barbell row
    Workout B- Squat, Overhead press, Deadlift

Good compound push/ pull program.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    Stronglifts consists of 2 workouts, alternating, with a rest day in between.

Workout A: Squat, Bench press, Barbell row
    Workout B- Squat, Overhead press, Deadlift

Good compound push/ pull program.

LOVE THIS PROGRAM!!!!! Thumbs up!
  • Vanguard1
    Terrible night last night. I had way too few calories for dinner, but was feeling fine, so I let it go. About 9:00 I was feeling, weak, absolutely no energy, dizzy, so I ate so much crap food (chips, pretzels, oreos) I couldn't even log it because I would have no clue where to start. I am paying for it this morning as my body feels terrible from all of the junk. Lesson learned, get enough, high quality, calories!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    awh sorry to hear that! don't despair though. I'm sure its not going to stop you from getting back where you need to be :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Hope your feeling better soon!!!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Yeah, the weak, tired nights are my downfall as well. I've learned that lesson too.
  • Vanguard1
    I got a good workout in, lots of water and seem to be back on track now, thanks!!
  • 1MADGIRL
    That's excellent :)
  • Brendalea69
    That's good to hear :)
  • KetoKaHee
    Yep! totally been there too. But you are right the more nutrient dense foods you eat the better off you will be! Glad to see you are back on track. We all have these days, and we learn from them and move on. Now get it!!
  • blambo61
    Been there done that!
  • Vanguard1
    Smashed some steak tonight, I probably underestimated in my diary, I think it was closer to pound. I feel great and just had a great workout!! Im glad Im not the only one @blambo61
  • blambo61
    That steak should hold you over well for tomorrow!
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    27 Feb 17 - 225.8
    06 March 17 - 224.2
    13 March - 217.6
    20 March - 214.2
    27 March - 214.3

My clothes fit much better and co workers say they can see a difference. I guess the workouts are causing the stall, but I feel great and am loving the OMAD lifestyle!!! I cant wait for April 1 to take my measurements.
  • 1MADGIRL
    You're doing so well! I agree. I'm sure its the workouts . As long as you look better and feel better, don't worry what the scale says.
  • KetoKaHee
    @1MADGIRL Dido what she said ha! I love your attitude and glad that this is becoming a lifestyle for you! Yes!!!!!!
  • Brendalea69
    You might not see the loss on the scale but I'm sure you will on the measurements :)