How do you track EVERYTHING??

I've been doing really well weighing and tracking my meals, snacks, etc but, I realized last night that I'm not tracking EVERYTHING. My hubby got a milkshake and I had 2 sips and my kids were eating pretzels and I ate 2. I grabbed my phone to track this and I could not for the life figure out how to accurately track these...do I assume the sips of milkshake were an ounce and the two pretzels were half an ounce? Am I just overthinking this?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited March 2017
    Sad to say, I forgo the sips and tastes. It was a habit thing. Especially with small kids. I have logged 2 pretzels at some point, I'm sure. For cooking, I do season as I go but taste at the end to correct. Depending on how many tastes, I'll log 2g more than my serving. That's only when I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, though, and that is not all the time.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Sad to say, I forgo the sips and tastes. It was a habit thing. Especially with small kids. I have logged 2 pretzels at some point, I'm sure. For cooking, I do season as I go but taste at the end to correct. Depending on how many tastes, I'll log 2g more than my serving. That's only when I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, though, and that is not all the time.

I agree with this. I'm much more mindful now and no longer do the whole sip or nibble here and there. It's just a pain and not worth it. I do limited tasting when I'm cooking, of course, and just log a bit extra to account for it.
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    If I take a few bites here and there, I'll go add 50 calories (or whatever is appropriate) just to make me feel better.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    I personally use "quick add" and guess generously. I have weighed things like 2 chips and the like, just to get an idea. Knowing the serving portions weight and appearance can help with better estimates. A typical straw can hold between .3-.5ml of liquid, but shake straws are usually larger in diameter..

Even if I did have a large deficit, I would track BLTs to set up the good habit for later when the deficit is tiny. No need to get used to it later.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I guess. If I'm not sure I overlog it to be safe. I'm sure the stress of worrying about if you logged it correctly is worse than any discrepancy in your calories tbh.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    It depends...

Are you losing weight at a rate you are comfortable with? If so, then keep doing what you're doing, even if that means taking occasional bites and sips that you don't track.

If your weight loss rate is not working for you, then is this a regular thing? Eating your kids food, eating/drinking your husband's drink? If so then this is something you can take control over. By stopping the behavior or finding a way to account for it. Your choice.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Log it generously once just so you know what you're adding to your daily calories.

Abstain from bites/sips if you find you're doing it often. That's a bad habit that should be kicked as part of your life-long lifestyle change.

If it's just something you do like once a week or whatever, let it slide. No reason to get ultra neurotic about every single calorie--this is a life-long change that will be unpleasant and probably unsustainable if it prevents you from living well and in the moment.

My two cents.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    I mostly use the app, so I will look up serving sizes and divide. But then, I'm eyeballing almost everything else. If there is a way to look up nutrition info, I do, but if not (like that milkshake) I estimate in ounces what it was.