I miss larger food quantities

2»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Oh...this sounds weird to some...but I also don't eat fruit. It tends to be calorie dense for ME. I can get in my nutrients in other ways and make room for treats or just more protein and veg with those calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Oh...this sounds weird to some...but I also don't eat fruit. It tends to be calorie dense for ME. I can get in my nutrients in other ways and make room for treats or just more protein and veg with those calories.

Heh, I also don't eat fruit at all but it's just due to an intense distaste for it. I'll eat any veg under the sun, but fruit makes me :sick:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Heh, I also don't eat fruit at all but it's just due to an intense distaste for it. I'll eat any veg under the sun, but fruit makes me :sick:

I like it alright. But yeah...people are like "are you seriously not going to eat the apple?" Nope. Not gonna spend 150 calories on natures candy when I can get have a choclately protein bar or a piece of meat.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2017
    Besides the salad and IF suggestions, buy healthy cookbooks with nutritional information. Their meals aren't visually super huge like a bowl of salad or condensing the number calories in fewer meals, but it will help in the long run in terms of eating and making healthy meals that taste good. If you like eating, then it might help. That and like the others have said, add vegetables but leafy greens you can add almost as much as you wants, however, they aren't very calorically dense (you'll get hungry quickly without protein and fat).
  • Phattest84
    Phattest84 Posts: 9 Member
    Salads. I eat twice a day so I make 900 calorie salads that are twice the size of my head. Takes me an hour to eat so I'm occupied and not thinking about snacking on junk. I change up the fresh ingredients and protein in them and dress with vinegars, yoghurts or dips. I really enjoy them, look forward to them and I feel satisfied which keeps me on track.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    What we used to eat in creamy pasta (yum!) and the massive quantity we would eat, we now eat in roasted veggies. For a very large plate of whatever kind of veggies you like - we do red/yellow/orange peppers, onion, asparagus, mushrooms, sweet potato (1 of those), butternut squash, zucchini all chopped up - spray an olive oil on it (I use the spray instead of drizzle) and good seasoning roast at 425 for about 25 minutes and dig in! That act of eating all of that is satisfying and we usually have 3-6 oz of lean protein to go with it. Or make a huge salad with all sorts of veggies, lettuces, spinach and grill 3oz of chicken. Sometimes we just want to keep eating and being able to eat a large plate of veggies or salad and protein helps that craving.
  • Joyful115
    Joyful115 Posts: 4 Member
    Roasted Veggies... Yes I can do that...
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Have you heArd of meal cycling? Start with a large plate of veg, follow it with a starch and then you can eat small amount of whatever you want
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Piles and piles of veg
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I miss big meals, too. I miss that fullness sensation. Some days are harder than others, for sure. Keeping a lot of veggies in the day does help. I know some people do intermittent fasting which puts all the daily calories in a smaller eating window so you get to eat a LOT of food in a shorter amount of time. I've toyed with it, but by 10am I am SO hungry, I must have something. The thought of blowing my eating window so early in the day doesn't really fit my lifestyle (like cooking and eating dinner with the fam).

It was harder at first for sure, but I've played with my portions and foods to get a manageable amount of the hunger under control and not have to rely on that full feeling to be done eating. It's definitely been my biggest challenge since I started losing in Sept.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Another one who doesn't eat much fruit. In summer I'll go for strawberries and cherries because in season they're delicious and on occasion bananas but otherwise. Rarely at all.

I also go in for giant salads. Like a whole giant bag of salad leaves for one salad. I keep it basic. Some sort of flavoured lean meat/fish, a few tomatoes, some cucumber, down the hatch. If I have a few more calories to play with I'll add boiled new potatoes or boiled egg.

In winter I'll go with cabbage, sprouts, broccoli, asparagus in season, sugarsnap peas, courgette, squash etc. I also love a baked potato when I can fit it in, with just about anything on top. A little blue cheese mashed in, chilli, good old cheese, tuna and sweetcorn mayo. But I find potato incredibly filling.

Air popped popcorn for a snack.

And really, exercise so I can make those calories go much much further!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I'm a volume eater so I tend to eat more vegetables and lean meat. I know I can eat whatever I "want" but since I prefer to eat a lot I eat rather clean. I can't live on 2 slices of pizza when I know I could have had a huge portion of vegetables a pork chop and garlic bread for the same or similar cals
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I have turned a tiny bowl of chili to a huge one by adding extra onion, bell peppers and celery. Extra veggies can up the volume for not too many calories.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I'm not a huge fresh veggie fan because I am admittedly less likely to make them if there's 'work' involved, but steamfresh bags of veggies I like, especially the plain kind (less calories, less crap ingredients, etc etc too), then I can add spices to them so they're not incredibly boring every day.
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Like everyone says, veggies, in huge amounts. Packed with fibre and alot of deliciousness when done right. I made tons of brothy soups with diced veggies (of anything I want/have) its filling because its mainly water and spices- broth but the veggies add crunch and more flavour. Its filling as you can eat alot of it!!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I eat 3 meals and dessert every time, and all my main meals are at least 400-500g worth of food all within 1500 calories. Its all about the choices you make... I'm all about feeling fulll, so I will stuff myself silly with fruit and veggies aside from whatever else I'm eating
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    This is exactly why I practice IF. I would rather have a real one or two meals a day than tease myself with tiny meals/snacks.