Julie's journey

Nutbutt24
Nutbutt24 Posts: 34 Member
Hi All, I've been a stalker around here for quite a while and I finally got up the courage to post. You all seem like very friendly people and I like this group more than a lot of others on MFP. Anyhow, I've been attempting OMAD for about a month now. My problem is, I do very well during the week and I lose weight and I'm super proud of myself. Then it all goes out the window on the weekends. My husband and I eat out and drink lots of beer which in turns causes me to eat LOTS of junk. All my willpower goes out the window and I just don't care anymore. Last night was crazy. I drank 5 beers and ate a small loaf of bread. I just feel really terrible. It's been like a constant roller coaster. I lose weight on the weekdays and gain it all back on the weekends. I just need to get out of this cycle and gain some willpower on the weekends. I feel like writing it all down and having people hold me accountable for my actions might help a little.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Replies

• 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Hi,

I often splurge on weekends (when I was with my boyfriend - always). I think if you realize you do this, what you can attempt is at least taking less than you'd normally take. For example, if you usually drink 5 bottles of beer , try taking 4 next weekend. If you usually eat an entire pizza by yourself. Leave one slice this time.
    Also, if you know you are going out and will eat, skip the meals before (if possible). Sometimes making minor changes instead of making a big change all at once, can get you to your target faster.

AND I see you're a dog lover! :) They look adorable! What are their names? :)
  • Nutbutt24
    Cooper is the big one on the left and Nutmeg is the small one on the right (she's my baby).
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    @doodlebuggin18 I'm just starting my 4th week on OMAD and in the beginning weekends were also super hard. My fiance and I like to go out on the weekends so I eat 2 meals on Saturday and Sunday. I also workout on those days so it is all a balance. Hey, doing OMAD during the week is a success. Take baby steps like what @1MADGIRL said and you will get there. I'm so happy you posted. This is an awesome group of people who will support you through your journey. Set up a realistic plan, let us know and we will help you stick to it! You got this!!
  • Nutbutt24
    Thanks guys. Another big problem that I am having is constant low energy. I feel like i get a burst of energy when I eat. My friend always wants me to go to the gym with her after work and when I don't eat anything, I just can't function. I also try to run on nights I'm not going to the gym. I want to continue having dinners because that's time I spend with my husband. I was thinking about transitioning to 5:2 and just fasting on the days that I don't work out but, I'm afraid that eating during the days again is gonna make me gain weight. Any advice on how to balance working out and fasting?
  • KetoKaHee
    I have a hard time working out and doing OMAD. What I do is have my OMAD in the evening with my fiance Monday through Friday and only workout on Saturday and Sunday when I have 2 meals. More experienced people have been able to workout and do OMAD. I think I will slowy be able to transition to that but it is more important for me to stick with OMAD before anything else. You don't need to workout to lose weight. Don't make it harder for yourself trying to do so much. You are already stressing your system by fasting so ease into it! That is my two cents!!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    I sympathize with your struggle. It's hard! Next to impossible to live with a husband who drinks and eats when you should not be drinking and eating. I got to the point where I could say no to the beer and wine most of the time. Problem was his daily late dinner. I wanted to eat then too, even though I knew I should not. I'm going to use OMAD as a tool to avoid late night snacks. Yesterday was the first day on OMAD. I went into the bedroom and shut the door, took out a book to read in bed, when hubby started his late repast. Worked.
  • Nutbutt24
    edited March 2017
    @KetoKaHee Thanks, I know I don't have to workout to lose weight, but it makes me feel better (well it used to). Plus my friend is always begging me to go. Also my husband and I joined a running club and trying to training for tough mudder in June and a half marathon in October. I just don't know how to balance the food and the exercise.

@amflautist I think that when we first began the relationship it was all centered around food and I feel like that is a bonding experience for us. LOL. I guess I still think of it that way so I always want to eat with him and make it some big production. I need to break the habit. I usually don't drink that much either, this weekend I went way overboard. I think I also eat a lot out of bordem on the weekends. I think my husband is a feeder too. He likes to keep me happy by buying or making my favorite foods. One day I had a bad day at work and I came home to chocolate cupcakes. :/
  • KetoKaHee
    Yes balancing the food and exercise is tough! I feel your pain ha! Joining a running group sounds awesome and it is nice to have a friend who wants to workout. I like working out too because it makes me feel strong. You will have to just see what works and adjust accordingly. It took me a few weeks to find something that works for me but it is always a work in progress. Keep at it and you will be doing your tough mudder race in June. Those always look like so much fun!
  • Nutbutt24
    we did it last year and it was so much fun. My goal this year is to attempt the monkey bars lol
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Can you maybe try taking a protein bar before a gym session?
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    The only exercise I do is walking and it's after my meal so that I have energy, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it...Weekends are the hardest but you can have a splurge day once a week and after you get to your goal weight you'll be able to have more splurge days but until then you should only have one once every week...Good Luck and Welcome to OMAD :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Exercise in the morning. You will still have enough glycogen from the previous evening's meal to not bonk. I exercised and did 20:4 for a long time and I would bonk in the weight room and after about 35 minutes of running. In the mornings I don't bonk. I've always hated working out in the mornings but am getting to like it now.
  • Nutbutt24
    I know that's the right way to go. It's so hard to drag myself out of bed in the mornings. Maybe now that the weather is getting warmer, it'll be easier.
  • Nutbutt24
    Just to give you all some back story. July 2015 I started dieting and exercising more. I lost about 60lbs. That year. For a year I hovered around 180 and for some reason I lost about 15lbs between Jan and Feb this year and I still don't know why. Now I can't move the scale again so I am hoping this plan will be what I need to get the weigh off.

I am hoping to get into the 150's before my trip to Ireland at the end of April, but with my weekend binge eating that is easier said than done. I will try to post weekly weigh in. Maybe this will finally be the motivation I need. The picture of me at the falls was from my honeymoon in 2014 and the other is me now. I know its hard to see, but it is the only one I've taken recently.

4io5vafrhmv6.jpg

ncm0tlve1fy1.jpg

• Nutbutt24
    edited March 2017
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Can you maybe try taking a protein bar before a gym session?

Last night I ate some beans, rice and veggies (not too much) at around 3pm and went to the gym around 630. It did help a lot, I had a lot of energy. And when I got home I wasn't starving. Hopefully the trick is giving myself permission to eat and not feeling guilty when I do.
  • KetoKaHee
    Wow! I can see such a big difference in your transformation photo! You look great! I hate feeling guilty if I eat something that I didn't plan but I know that is an unhealthy way to look at food. I'm happy you fueled up for your workout and it gave you the energy you needed!! See...you are figuring it out!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    You have done great so far!!! You can do this!!! :)
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Your photos are great!!!

Weekends can be tough. I make one day my weekly 'binge', although I try not to get too wild, because the weight gain is super annoying. I do eat three good meals on binge.

On the other day, a tsp of coconut oil helps calm the cravings. Lots of zero cal drinks too, hot, cold, whatever.

I find that some foods are just triggers for the hunger monster. Simple carbs make me want to tilt the fridge and unhinge my jaw.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Stunning results! Congratulations. You're just a little slip of a lass now, and the Irish are going to love you.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    I know that's the right way to go. It's so hard to drag myself out of bed in the mornings. Maybe now that the weather is getting warmer, it'll be easier.

You have to be diligent in getting to bed on time. I'm a night person and so I have to watch that all the time or I will have a very hard time getting myself going in the morning.

Your photos look great! You've done well!