I dont want to starve!!! Need a good meal replacement option

okay gang, im turning 50 *gasp* this September and ive been really been struggling with getting motivated to lose weight after having lost 60+ pounds on WW, I turned into a fitbit junkie and in turn got an injury which basically stopped me like a brick wall, gained back some weight... still have a long way to go but now because of family health reasons I had to take a second job and work 7 days a week pushing 80 hours and doing my best to eat right and stay healthy, I could really use some advice on meal replacement drinks that are good for me and are already canned or bottled so I can keep them in my car and drink in a hurry from job A to B (on at 6am off at 5pm on at 5:30pm off at 11pm) by the time im off work its 11pm and i can't eat that late, starvation is not how I want to lose the weight :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    No need to starve to lose weight. Eat/drink any food/drinks you like and hit your calorie goal every day. Then you'll lose weight.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I generally use protein shakes as a meal replacement, but I can't think of any I'd want to drink lukewarm/warm after they'd sat in the car. Try a protein bar, some trail mix, nuts, sandwich crackers, breakfast bar, etc that will be enjoyable even if it gets warm in your car.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Get an esky/cooler that fits in your car. Pack it with ice packs and actual food, or at least keep your drinks cool!
  • j743y
    j743y Posts: 4 Member
    Peronally, a thick nutrient packed smoothie is my go to when im rushing from places to places. Considering your situation, you'll need a cooler to keep your smoothie chilled. Also, have snacks like nuts, trailmix, fruits available in your car too. In case you are starving you'll have healthy snacks to munch on.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    A protein shake isn't a meal replacement in itself as it is just protein and around 100 calories a scoop depending on brand and their serving size.

Adding a bunch of stuff to it as above to make it more nutrient dense and higher calorie would work and would be my preference over something premade as it will just be tastier.

As to the keeping it cool, flasks keep things cool as well as hot so that's always an option too.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    No need to starve to lose weight. Eat/drink any food/drinks you like and hit your calorie goal every day. Then you'll lose weight.

It sounds like it's time issue, not really a choice for no meals.

OP, not the best choice, but it will work for now, I used carnation instant breakfast when recovering from surgery, it's not the worst choice either. I think I saw an ad for a lower calorie version recently. It comes in premixed and a powder. Special K makes a protein shake too. You can start with those and then order better quality online.

Sometimes I just put protein powder and milk in a jar with a blender ball and throw it in an insulated bag when I'm going out and won't have time for a meal. I also freeze extra smoothies and they melt by the time I need to eat.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    It's not cheap, but Soylent is designed to be a total meal replacement. You can use water and blender ball shaker without having to keep it temperature controlled. Not going to be tasty, but it'll work in a pinch if you don't have time for anything else. Better than starving, but that's about it. :)

I'd probably create a plan A, a plan B, and a plan C. I like to shop at the slightly overpriced hippy grocery store near me for meal replacements or snacks since they have better selection of food that doesn't have a lot of added chemicals and sugar.

A would be something like a real meal in a cooler in the car.
    B would be some freeze dried veggies from the local health food grocery store, an apple, some almonds, jerky, etc. Just a collection of food you can eat ambient and that you can stash in the glove compartment.
    C would be a blender ball shaker with Soylent and water or a meal replacement bar.

That way, if you don't have time or energy to prep A, or if you run out of stuff for B, you still have a way to avoid going without food.

Good luck! Hope you don't have to keep up that schedule for much longer. Sounds brutal!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    It's not cheap, but Soylent is designed to be a total meal replacement. You can use water and blender ball shaker without having to keep it temperature controlled. Not going to be tasty, but it'll work in a pinch if you don't have time for anything else. Better than starving, but that's about it. :)

I'd probably create a plan A, a plan B, and a plan C. I like to shop at the slightly overpriced hippy grocery store near me for meal replacements or snacks since they have better selection of food that doesn't have a lot of added chemicals and sugar.

B would be some freeze dried veggies from the local health food grocery store, an apple, some almonds, jerky, etc. Just a collection of food you can eat ambient and that you can stash in the glove compartment.
    C would be a blender ball shaker with Soylent and water or a meal replacement bar.

That way, if you don't have time or energy to prep A, or if you run out of stuff for B, you still have a way to avoid going without food.

Good luck! Hope you don't have to keep up that schedule for much longer. Sounds brutal!

Even for category B above ("a collection of food you can eat ambient and that you can stash in the glove compartment"), bear in mind that even in mild weather, temperatures inside the car can soar well above 100 degrees F, which is not how these foods are meant to be stored. (The freeze dried veggies might hold up, but apple, almonds, and even jerky are going to take a hit in texture/taste/quality, if not food safety.) If you can, it would still be good to invest in a cooler, or at least an insulated bag that you can stick a freezer pack of some kind in to keep the food from getting too hot.

And I second the comments above that protein shakes are not the same thing as a meal replacement shake.
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    fitbethlin wrote: »

I know a lot of people are anti-soylent. I've just started with the powder, am trying to use the structure of meal replacements for a few weeks to break my snacking and bad eating habits. I am really liking it, the powder mixes up very easily, I don't use a blender, just a shaker bottle. It's very smooth, no lumps or yucky texture. It also comes in pre-mixed bottles, but it is more expensive. I'm still drinking coffee and tea (can't give that up). I'm growing to like the taste and it's quite filling. I can't see me doing it forever, but a couple weeks should help me get back on the right track, then I think I'll keep it up for breakfast and lunch and eat a normal dinner.
  • mpalamaris
    mpalamaris Posts: 10 Member
    thanks for the great ideas... looks like i should invest in a cooler :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    My lunchbox and I are inseparable. I pack breakfast and lunch in there each day + and ice pack and it keeps things perfect until I'm ready to eat them.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    My lunchbox and I are inseparable. I pack breakfast and lunch in there each day + and ice pack and it keeps things perfect until I'm ready to eat them.

I have a bit of a soft sided mini cooler collection. Different shapes and sizes for whatever I'm packing that day. And a handful of ice packs always in the freezer.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Flat out fold-its with almond butter, a cooler with yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, babybel, tuna, nuts, turkey cheese roll ups, sliced chicken breast, cut up peppers and hummus - so many better options than shakes/bars. Just takes a little planning and prep.