Do carbs make you bloated?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Generally, as you increase or decrease carbohydrates you will gain/lose water weight.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    For me they do. No carbs = light feeling and flat stomach, carbs = bloated stomach and lethargic stuffed feeling. Everyone's different.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    miinanov wrote: »

Yep! I just won't eat bread any more. Not worth it -- I do not feel well at all afterwards, and it lasts a few days. I've tested negative for Celiac, but something's going on there ...

I don't notice anything with a potato; even white rice every so often is OK. But, as a rule, I just don't bother.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    If I haven't been eating many/suddenly have a larger intake then yep. Generally at normal day to day levels, nope.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Me - nope but I guess it just depends on the person...
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    I know that I have had no bread what-so-ever and I feel better. I have increased my protein and decreased carbs and sugar to the minimum. However, changing dieting alone, I have lost only 2lbs in 41days!

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Nope.. and I eat a lot of carbs.
  • thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    I don't feel bloated. Carbs are good with digestion and help add toxins from the body! I would stick to brown rice, whole wheat pastas and breads. If you eat them! I find that they are easier to digest! Gluten free options are amazing too. I could eat a whole cup of brown rice and not gain a pound. The other day I had a cup of white rice and gained a lb because it's harder to digest. I lost that pound because I went back to eating healthier. It stays in your digestive tract longer.. oh and all purpose flour or white flour I wouldn't eat much of it. Stick to corn or rice flour and and other option!! Hope this helps. I've been keeping a really close eye on my weight and how things flow through my body. I've lost 127lbs
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    For me eating grains or a higher percentage of carbs does lead to bloating (similar to EbonyDahlia).
  • thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    Oh and say when you eat a carb, stay with the serving size. Oatmeal might do well with the digestive track. I love it in the morning gives ya energy and keeps ya full!! Plus is easy to digest. A half cup serving dry make a cup cooked and it's like a huge portion. Plus I add in full banana. Half smashed and half slice plus flax seeds. So good!!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Some of it depends on the type of carb you have consumed.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Yes generally they do. You retain water to process carbs.
    Nothing is worse than sodium for me though when it comes to bloat
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    No... not for me. Too much food and hormones (my cycle, pregnancy etc.) bloats me. High carbs do keep my muscles pumped.. so yay for that.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    High carb, especially coupled with high sodium, makes me retain water. I look more lean when carbs are moderate to low.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Yes. Higher carbs cause higher insulin which causes water and electrolyte retention. When people cut carbs they generally lose some water weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    No.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Me personally? not that I've noticed.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Depends on what kind of carbs for me. Potatoes, toast etc = no bloat but mix high carb and sugar like cookies, donuts etc = bloat & reflux:(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I don't feel bloated. Carbs are good with digestion and help add toxins from the body! I would stick to brown rice, whole wheat pastas and breads. If you eat them! I find that they are easier to digest! Gluten free options are amazing too. I could eat a whole cup of brown rice and not gain a pound. The other day I had a cup of white rice and gained a lb because it's harder to digest. I lost that pound because I went back to eating healthier. It stays in your digestive tract longer.. oh and all purpose flour or white flour I wouldn't eat much of it. Stick to corn or rice flour and and other option!! Hope this helps. I've been keeping a really close eye on my weight and how things flow through my body. I've lost 127lbs

what do you mean the add toxins from the body? why does someone have to stick to whole grains and breads? why is white rice harder to digest? what works for you may not work for others and if you are having issues digesting certain foods you really need to see a dr as that is not normal.you arent going to gain a lb from white rice overnight, weight gain doesnt work that way,its not real weight. water retention maybe but Im willing to bet it was from all the foods you ate the night before.