Spin workout attire - Question/Recommendations

I've never done spin before.

I know my fanny gets sore riding a regular bike which stands to reason an hour spinning will do the same.

Looking for advice and attire recommendations!! Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    edited March 2017
    I wear padded cycling shorts and a wicking T-shirt.
    I also wear my cycling shoes, with cleats.

Also make sure the spin bike is set up correctly for you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    get yourself a pair of cycling shorts (they have a padded butt) - don't feel like you need to keep pace with the instructor at first - try to do as much as you can
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Are cycling shorts available at Dunhams or MC Sporting Goods? Or do I need to find a specialty shop?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    sometimes - I know like Dick's sporting goods has them (I'm sure this will get *kittened*) - or you can order online at Amazon
  • bketchum1981
    Thank you!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    You can get them at places like this: https://www.anacondastores.com/

Or, depending where you are ...

MEC (Canada)
    REI (USA)
    Decathlon (Europe)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If you aren't planning on spinning regularly- just go in your regular clothes and deal with it. I spin in the off season a few times while I'm cutting- but I wouldn't go buy special shorts for it. If it's only a 1x a month kind of thing- I wouldn't bother. But well- that's just me.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    My spin class keeps it very hot at one location and freezing at a different location where I have to wear a jacket for a few songs. That is another thing to keep in mind. Also, I've broken my tailbone years ago and still have a sore bottom after each class and I need to invest in padded shorts.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Padded shorts are cool, but if you don't have anywhere you can buy padded shorts near you and be certain of the size, a padded seat is really nice. I found a padded seat at Walmart (but no padded shorts! :( ) and just wore my normal workout pants (read as: yoga pants) when I went to spin.
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    I just wear regular workout capris. Your butt gets used to it after a few classes. I agree that you may want a zip up hoodie or something similar that you can take off after the first few songs, the room is cold.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    I wear normal gym clothes, some take their own saddle (including my brother) and some wear cycling shorts.

I only do spin twice a week and can't say I find the saddle that bad.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    I wear padded shorts for riding outside, because any sort of terrain (even crappy streets) is what causes the jostling that makes my rear sore. Spin classes generally make me a little sore, but I don't know that it's enough to merit wearing padded shorts in class. I also only spin 2x a month (the most classpass lets me do the spin studio I like!)

I'd try a class without and see if you think it's worth spending the $$.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    I found padded shorts on ebay for about $10. That's cheap enough even if you only go once or twice a month.
  • JLASilver
    JLASilver Posts: 22 Member
    It depends on the class style. Some classes have the riders spend a lot of time out of the seat (SoulCycle). But you butt does adjust
    and padded bike shorts aren't necessary after the first few times. It's all what you are comfortable with wearing.
  • sakat726
    sakat726 Posts: 20 Member
    Padded shorts are great, but not necessary. You might want to try a few classes and see how into it you get before you buy them. In the meantime, your butt will get sore, but it will probably get a little easier over time.

Another item that is absolutely essential for me is a sweat towel. I use a spare hand towel. Without it I'd be really gross!
  • bketchum1981
    Thank you everyone! I'm trying it without the bike shorts.
  • bketchum1981
    I did it without and I think I will be just fine!! 5:30am is early but my day is underway!!
  • bketchum1981
    Slaying dragons and conquering fears!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've never done spin before.

I know my fanny gets sore riding a regular bike which stands to reason an hour spinning will do the same.

Looking for advice and attire recommendations!! Thanks so much!!!

Generally, those seats are much more padded than an actual bike seat. I've never worn padded shorts on a bike at the gym, and I have ridden on one for 2 hours. But it did take working up to; I would stand up on the pedals for couple seconds, at about 15-20 minutes...and now I rarely even need to move. I do prefer padded shorts for long rides on my own bike, but I doubt you need to go there on a stationary bike.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    On a quick skim, I don't think anyone has mentioned this: One does toughen up, usually after a few classes. I'm not sure what mechanism is at work.

I use a seat pad, but regular workout clothes for spin, which I've been doing for . . . 10 years? At first, there was some discomfort, even with a seat pad, but it hasn't been an issue since sometime in those first weeks.

(I do wear shorts/pants with padding for actual biking, and seem to need them if it's something over 15-20 miles, more or less.)

So: Sweatband for forehead (I sweat demonically, it gets soaked, hate sweat in my eyes), t-shirt, leggings (I don't like shorts), socks without annoying seams anywhere, appropriate shoes (I don't use bike shoes, just regular lightweight comfortable athletic shoes), towel, water bottle that fits the bottle cage, heart rate monitor (so I don't slack off ;) ), and lip balm in my bag.