Ladies do you change your diet plan during your period?

Replies

• Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    I'm murder when I am on my period, struggle to exercise and want to eat my body weight in chocolate! I just limit myself to one 'cheat day'. As long as you manage to get right back on it and not let your 'cheat day' lead to a 'cheat week'!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I up to maintenance a couple of the days before and sometimes during, I get pretty hungry because my sleep gets all out of whack. If I can increase my exercise to offset it I can, but I don't worry too much, it evens out across the month.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    I get bottomless pit hunger around what passes for ovulation (PCOS), then during my period I get more snacky. I usually end up eating nearer to maintenance for a day or two. TMI but I have extremely heavy periods that last a solid week, so I may miss a workout if I'm feeling weak or anemic. I lift weights and between the weak feeling, heavy bleeding, and backache there are just some days where it isnt going to happen.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    My PMS symptoms are moodiness and water retention. I tend to eat more comfort foods and take-out, but keep it within my calorie goal and still exercise
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I eat as little as I can without going insane... which is usually too much. I eat less the week after to make up for it though, and I make sure I stay very active.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    I eat am full but still want to eat and eat and cannot be bothered exercising! Then again i dont bleed due to the coil but get all the symptoms. I am happy to maintain this week
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I acknowledge this metabolic increase by eating at maintenance for a few days. Most times I add a snack and have a slightly larger dinner, and/or a treat.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I give myself permission to eat at maintenance. In practice, I wind up with about half my normal deficit over the week.
  • kimv1188
    kimv1188 Posts: 40 Member
    This is great to read as I was struggling with this same thing during my last TOM. My fiancé said that my PMS has become worse since I've started losing weight. He didn't bring it up until I asked because I knew I was miserable and starving (not actually but you know the feeling). I totally overate like a pig for a few days. But then I got back on track. And guess what...the world did not end! I made a concious decision and then I moved on. However, I did not log accurately or at all. Next month, I will make an effort to log and at least stay at maintenance or under and see how that works. Thanks for starting this thread!
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Right before and right at the start I have this problem. I just give myself 100 to 200 cals extra that day if I crave something or am starving. Its miserable to deny myself during that time and it helps me keep on track. Its usually only 2 days out of the month (the craving and starving I mean) so I dont stress it too much. There are gonna be days Im over and days Im under so it all comes out right in the wash!
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    I have PMDD, there is no controlling my emotional eating during that time. Either I stuff my face or stab someone. I gain about 5 pounds total that comes off withing a week of starting my period. Every month. Sucks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I have PMDD, there is no controlling my emotional eating during that time. Either I stuff my face or stab someone. I gain about 5 pounds total that comes off withing a week of starting my period. Every month. Sucks.

Ditto, although every month is different. Some months I'm starving, some months I'm so depressed I don't feel like eating anything.

I honestly think that it gets worse the older you get too though, it definitely wasn't that bad by a long shot 4 years ago, or I'm not sure I would have lost the weight that easily!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I generally have a day when I want to destroy the world, when that happens I know that the next day (or maybe the day after) will be the day I want to eat everything. I try and bring snacks with fats and proteins, but sometimes I'm just not paying attention or don't know and I'll eat at maintenance, which usually means some snacks I keep at my desk.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Sometimes I get just ravenous during my period - so yes, I'll eat a few hundred extra calories. Usually in the form of a snack before bed, because I hate trying to sleep hungry. As long as you go back to your regular deficit afterwards, it shouldn't affect your goals too much. Just don't go overboard.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    kimv1188 wrote: »
    This is great to read as I was struggling with this same thing during my last TOM. My fiancé said that my PMS has become worse since I've started losing weight. He didn't bring it up until I asked because I knew I was miserable and starving (not actually but you know the feeling). I totally overate like a pig for a few days. But then I got back on track. And guess what...the world did not end! I made a concious decision and then I moved on. However, I did not log accurately or at all. Next month, I will make an effort to log and at least stay at maintenance or under and see how that works. Thanks for starting this thread!

Your fat stores also contain some hormones, so as your body lets go of that body fat, it can release some extra hormones too. That's why our cycles can get kind of funky or different during weight loss. Nothing to worry about!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Here are a few things I have tried that seem to help:
    Sugar/chocolate cravings - a bowl of sliced strawberries drizzled with a dark chocolate sauce (I like the Torani that you can find in the coffee aisle) and a quick squirt of Redi-whip (looks decadent but isn't horrible)
    Salt - a pickle (or more likely several of the Mt Olivet Petite Dills) or the Cracked Pepper Triscuits with some VERY sharp white cheddar (1 or two usually does the trick for me and you get fiber, fat, and protein)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    It's totally not psychological for me because I completely forget I'm on break week and just go around wondering why I'm so hungry. Then I see one of these threads and am like d'oh! Period hungries.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    It's totally not psychological for me because I completely forget I'm on break week and just go around wondering why I'm so hungry. Then I see one of these threads and am like d'oh! Period hungries.

Me too. I have PCOS and so don't even get my period for reals; I get just the PMS. I only realize what's happening because my daughter and I are on the same schedule.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    These women who have easy periods are depressing
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    These women who have easy periods are depressing

LOL I'm one of them. My periods have been irregular over the last 3 months, and i have zero signs that they're coming until they arrive.

When they were regular as clockwork, i would assume I'd be more hungry a day or two before and talk myself into it ( I've never had mood swings or anything like that)... So for me it's 100% psychological.