Keto !!!

Is anyone else here changing to a ketogenic diet?? I've been scrounging for receipes! :)

Replies

• khmmom
    khmmom Posts: 2 Member
    I have been easing into it for a few days... I have been doing some pretty extensive recipe searches. Add me if you want me to send you some links!
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Why Keto? Its restrictive..very hard to stay with it long term.. and keto people smell when they sweat
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Most keto'ers hang out in the Low Carber Daily MFP group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I've been mostly keto for a couple of years. I eat pretty normal except I dropped the sugars and carby fillers like bread and pasta. I tend to skip sugary fruit and very starchy veggies too.

Tonight I had pork chops with gravy and a side of roasted veggies. I skipped the potatoes and minimized the gravy. Yesterday was a burger patty and cheese with mayo and raw veggies, and a side of leftover chilli. The day before was chilli (meat celery, tomatoes and beans - meat heavy) with grated cheese. Nothing unusual. Just no carby plate fillers.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I've been eating keto for a while and enjoy it. The group @nvmomketo linked to is a great resource. Lots of good recipes in there, too! I've found a lot of my recipes on Pinterest as well.
  • druekerca
    druekerca Posts: 17 Member
    Is anyone else here changing to a ketogenic diet?? I've been scrounging for receipes! :)
    Been on Keto for 3 months now. So far I've found the " low carb flax bread" to be the best. I make the every week and everyone in my home loves it. Each slice has almost zero carbs and it's full of fibre.
    I have also tried some of the desserts from the ruled.me and the mug cakes from ketoconnect.com . Both are great resources
  • aimos87
    aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
    peeshapie wrote: »
    I've been at it for about 4 weeks and I'm loving it. I tend to do simple - a protein, fat and tons of veg. I've not really done any "recipes" per se.

Have you lost much weight Peeshapie?
  • PeeshaPi
    PeeshaPi Posts: 30 Member
    aimos87 wrote: »
    Have you lost much weight Peeshapie?

I have, actually!! 20lbs! That's prob not typical. I'm nursing a 5 month old and type 1 diabetic, so keto is helping me drop my insulin requirements tremendously, which helps facilitate the loss.. plus a baby pulls about 500cals per day nursing, it's like a workout in itself!
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 172 Member
    I'm just starting out, going onto my 4th week. Im down 12# since the start, most water weight at this point.

I have been trying recipes i find on pinterest and other sites and even makingover some traditional meals to remove the carb fillers like rice, pasta & potato and reducing limiting the starchy veggies i use (like tomato, pepper & onion).

I love potatoes in any form and tortilla chips. So that was a little challenging but now i have no problem avoiding them. (I'm the only non-carbie in my house... so i still make it for the kids and my hubby).

My goal is to do more a Atkins regime which is to stay keto (20-25 net carbs) until i get to my goal weight and slowly add some carb back, maybe just at 1 meal or 1x a week... not sure yet.

My biggest problem i face is getting enough fats. I made some peanut butter fat bombs for snacks, usually after dinner so i dont snack, but i still have days where i don't feel like I'm satisfied. Does anyone have suggestions?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    @mnalsa83 I tend to get mine through eggs, heavy cream in my coffee twice a day, adding butter to veggies (a cheese sauce or ranch dressing work too), cheese, and fattier cuts of meat along with nuts, nut butter and avocados. Though I've heard some other keto friends say they tend to think of carbs as a maximum, protein as a minimum goal to hit, and then just fill in the rest with fats (to satiety) so don't feel like you have to hit a certain fait goal if you're not hungry.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    mnalsa83 wrote: »
    I'm just starting out, going onto my 4th week. Im down 12# since the start, most water weight at this point.

I have been trying recipes i find on pinterest and other sites and even makingover some traditional meals to remove the carb fillers like rice, pasta & potato and reducing limiting the starchy veggies i use (like tomato, pepper & onion).

I love potatoes in any form and tortilla chips. So that was a little challenging but now i have no problem avoiding them. (I'm the only non-carbie in my house... so i still make it for the kids and my hubby).

My goal is to do more a Atkins regime which is to stay keto (20-25 net carbs) until i get to my goal weight and slowly add some carb back, maybe just at 1 meal or 1x a week... not sure yet.

My biggest problem i face is getting enough fats. I made some peanut butter fat bombs for snacks, usually after dinner so i dont snack, but i still have days where i don't feel like I'm satisfied. Does anyone have suggestions?

Don't force fats. Many are doing keto with the hopes to lose weight. If that is the case, you already have the high fat, now all you need is the low carb. ;)

In all seriousness though, if you are full and below your calorie goal, don't force fats in. Most will get enough fat but using fattier cuts of meat and a bit of extra oil or butter on veggies. If you have a few lower calorie days, don't worry about it. My daily calories skip between 500 and 2500, and averaged out to 1500 while I was losing. I mostly went with hunger. Mostly.
  • amers271
    amers271 Posts: 17 Member
    My favorite blog is Caveman Keto. Check it out - so many good recipes!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I have a question ... seriously. Why is it folks say keto is soooo restrictive while it's not said to vegans or vegetarians?

Vegans and vegetarians usually cut out meat for ethical, religious and some health reasons.

If they say they are doing it for weight loss only then yeah that's restrictive and I'd give the same caution that it needs to be sustainable.

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    OK well keto folks cut out carbs for health reasons too. Or a good portion of them do. Primarily diabetics or IR. I'm not singling you out so please don't take it that way. I've just seen SO many comments about this on keto and virtually none on the other ways of eating. It's just something interesting I've picked up reading the forums.