Workout music ideas

jenkinsb92
jenkinsb92 Posts: 13 Member
What's some good music to listen to while working out? I tend to listen to a lot of pop/hip hop and country. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RickN9GSU
    RickN9GSU Posts: 47 Member
    You might think I'm crazy (a lot of people do) but check out Western Swing. Nice, upbeat music, out of the mainstream. The group Asleep at the Wheel is a good place to start. I built a station in Pandora around their sound and it's working well for me.
  • jenkinsb92
    RickN9GSU wrote: »
    You might think I'm crazy (a lot of people do) but check out Western Swing. Nice, upbeat music, out of the mainstream. The group Asleep at the Wheel is a good place to start. I built a station in Pandora around their sound and it's working well for me.

I'll definitely check it out! Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member

In that vein, Wylie Gustafson (Wylie & The Wild West) is also good.

If you're open to off-the-beaten-track music, and want to try something different: My personal favorite genre is progressive bluegrass. A couple of things that work for me are Frank Sollivan and Dirty Kitchen's Cold Spell, Newgrass Revival's Fly Through the Country, or Commonwealth ("Reach" is one of my all-time favorite workout songs), or Northern Lights/Vassar Clements' Three August Nights.

1940s swing music can also be fun . . . as an example, The Essential Glenn Miller.

All of this may be an acquired taste, though! ;)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    I like country hip hop and broadway. Broadway in particular dance numbers make me want to move and dance.
  • jenkinsb92
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I like country hip hop and broadway. Broadway in particular dance numbers make me want to move and dance.
    Are there particular broadway shows you enjoy listening to? Lately I set my pandora station to JASON Derulo and workout to whatever plays. I'm always looking for new things though
  • jenkinsb92
    janet6567 wrote: »
    I like walking to Rolling Stone and the Beatles' faster songs. . .but I'm older than dirt! LOL
    I enjoy listening to a lot of 80's music. Never been a huge Beatle fan though :) but, to each their own :)

• Nakumari23
    Nakumari23 Posts: 7 Member
    For pop/hip hop I like to listen to Chris Brown and the Weeknd.

I also like to listen to a lot of upbeat EDM or heavy rock when I workout, all depends on the mood :smiley:
  • jenkinsb92
    Nakumari23 wrote: »
    For pop/hip hop I like to listen to Chris Brown and the Weeknd.

I also like to listen to a lot of upbeat EDM or heavy rock when I workout, all depends on the mood :smiley:

I love listening to Chris Brown and The Weeknd.
  • RickN9GSU
    RickN9GSU Posts: 47 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

In that vein, Wylie Gustafson (Wylie & The Wild West) is also good.

If you're open to off-the-beaten-track music, and want to try something different: My personal favorite genre is progressive bluegrass. A couple of things that work for me are Frank Sollivan and Dirty Kitchen's Cold Spell, Newgrass Revival's Fly Through the Country, or Commonwealth ("Reach" is one of my all-time favorite workout songs), or Northern Lights/Vassar Clements' Three August Nights.

1940s swing music can also be fun . . . as an example, The Essential Glenn Miller.

All of this may be an acquired taste, though! ;)

I'm a bluegrass musician and I've met Frank a few times. He is SUCH a swell guy! Along those lines, check out The Hillbenders. Amazing band.

• ElenSouthgate
    ElenSouthgate Posts: 15 Member
    I like to listen to the mixes on http://www.steadymixes.com/ they have a variety of different mixes and most can be downloaded for free :)
  • TJ_Slade
    TJ_Slade Posts: 22 Member
    If you're a fan of pop music, give 80s New Wave music a try. Duran Duran, ABC, Human League, Animotion, Berlin, Missing Persons, Blondie etc etc...

Super peppy and fun, energetic music. Awesome for cardio.

• skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Heavy Metal...Metallica ac/dc Disturbed pumps me up
  • Rosiez2014
    Rosiez2014 Posts: 5 Member
    IPandora red hot chili peppers or linkin park.
  • risberg96
    risberg96 Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2017
    I love the rock my run Ap- free version is fine.
  • DeDoubleU
    DeDoubleU Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2017
    Muse Supermassive Black Holes album keeps me going. It's great for a kind of interval thing. For speeding up and slowing down and speeding back up, etc.