Cholesterol

Rainqueen77
Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
So I started keto in May after a high blood sugar scare. In September I had my cholestorol checked for the first time ever. Now six months later I have something to compare it to. The doctor who told me I was starving and depriving myself is pleased with my results. Yay me.

ocuybs0tawkh.png

I guess I should add that my fasting glucose was 143 in September and 102 now. A1c 5.5 to 5.1.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Go YOU!!!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Awesomeness!! Love shutting people up with results lol Do not feed IRs or T2D carbs, we are allergic :p
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Wow, good for you! Congrats!!
  • Rainqueen77
    Wonder what she'll say when I tell her I drink oil for breakfast. Doh!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Way to go, Rainqueen77!!!! Those are super results. I'd love to see the docs face when you tell her about the oil, too, lol. She might surprise you, though. When I saw my cardiologist in December and he saw how improved all my numbers (lipids and blood sugar, A1c, etc.), he told me to "keep doing what you're doing." When doctors have patients who are successfully controlling T2D and lipids, etc., they may/can change their minds of what is right for individual patients. You go KETO!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Congrats!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    You left off possibly the single most important measurement if you do not get a comprehensive lipid panel like an NMR. That is the Trig/HDL ratio. Below 2 is good. Below 1 is optimal. You went from somewhere over 5 down to somewhere around 1.5 it looks like. Since you don't have the exact numbers, it is hard to tell.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Here we go!

Nice going!

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Awesome getting trig/HDL ratio down from 5.53 to 1.82. You went from really bad to good - and in only 6 months.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Very nice!! I love it!!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Awesome! :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Amazing! You're like a poster girl for how LCHF can help with lipid panels! ;)
  • Rainqueen77
    edited March 2017
    I was scared to go too because I was already eating keto the first time I was tested and the doctor was so against my WOE. But when I asked why we would keep doing things that are obviously bad us she didn't have an answer. Glad I can show her.

Also, I've been on metformin since September. I am hoping to stay on it a bit longer. I'd like to lose another 60lbs and I think it's a help. I was thinking about asking to increase it now I'm afraid they might stop it. Doh.
  • RalfLott
    I was scared to go too because I was already eating keto the first time I was tested and the doctor was so against my WOE. But when I asked why we would keep doing things that are obviously bad us she didn't have an answer. Glad I can show her.

Also, I've been on metformin since September. I am hoping to stay on it a bit longer. I'd like to lose another 60lbs and I think it's a help. I was thinking about asking to increase it now I'm afraid they might stop it. Doh.

From what I've gathered, a therapeutic dosage of metformin is 1500mg/day or more. I'm up to 2000-2500mg (actually brand Glucophage XR in my case, in order to avert spectacular GI pyrotechnics), and it works well. No real reason to taper off metformin that I know of...
  • nvmomketo
    True. I'm actually asking about it (I have high fasting BG no matter what I do) but they don't want me to use it. LOL
  • Rainqueen77
    When she put me on it she said how good it was for other stuff too. She didn't need to convince me I went there to get it.
  • RalfLott
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    True. I'm actually asking about it (I have high fasting BG no matter what I do) but they don't want me to use it. LOL

Seriously?!? What's the rationale?
  • nvmomketo
    Why do I think it might be beneficial or why the no? ;)

I think it can help with longevity. Lower BG equals healthier metabolic system and a lower cancer risk.... Don't know about the possible BM issues... not excited about trying that. LOL

They say no because my FBG was not diabetic, although it is inching that way as time goes on.

• RalfLott
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Why do I think it might be beneficial or why the no? ;)

I think it can help with longevity. Lower BG equals healthier metabolic system and a lower cancer risk.... Don't know about the possible BM issues... not excited about trying that. LOL

They say no because my FBG was not diabetic, although it is inching that way as time goes on.

Ah, sorry to be vague. I could see your rationale! It's the doc's I was curious about.