Question about Splurge Day

ShannonOMAD
ShannonOMAD Posts: 122 Member
Hi! I just started, and I had no intention of ever having a splurge day. It seemed counterproductive and I also am prone to binge-eating, so it could also be triggering.
However! I just watched the OMAD Revolution video on planning your splurge days, and it did seem to make sense to me.
So, I was wondering... can anybody provide me some anecdotes about you and your splurge day? Has it worked for breaking plateaus? Has it sent you into worse eating? Do you feel its necessary physically? (I'm not worried about the mental part of missing cheat food, I'm happy with what I'm eating!)
Your input is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Everyone does it differently...I started having a splurge day after my first two weeks of dieting which was almost 7 months ago and Ive had one once a week since...For me I eat what ever I want all day long and I feel that I couldn't do this without them...I get right back to plan the next day and find no problem with wanting to eat more on my OMAD days :)
  • ShannonOMAD
    Everyone does it differently...I started having a splurge day after my first two weeks of dieting which was almost 7 months ago and Ive had one once a week since...For me I eat what ever I want all day long and I feel that I couldn't do this without them...I get right back to plan the next day and find no problem with wanting to eat more on my OMAD days :)

Thank you for your feedback! Do you feel like it did encourage weight loss? Or that it just made it more enjoyable?
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    I might be in the minority on this, but I've been doing OMAD for nearly six months and have not taken a single splurge day. I saw Joe's video about how it was important to incorporate them, but I'm just not feeling the need, or any strong urge to do so. Plus I worry that it will lead me astray if I do. I've been dropping weight so consistently during this time that I'm not inclined to rock the boat, especially since I feel fine. But with that said we're all different so I think you have to make your own choices based on what your body is telling you.
  • ShannonOMAD
    jvcinv wrote: »
    I might be in the minority on this, but I've been doing OMAD for nearly six months and have not taken a single splurge day. I saw Joe's video about how it was important to incorporate them, but I'm just not feeling the need, or any strong urge to do so. Plus I worry that it will lead me astray if I do. I've been dropping weight so consistently during this time that I'm not inclined to rock the boat, especially since I feel fine. But with that said we're all different so I think you have to make your own choices based on what your body is telling you.

That is so helpful! Thank you! I don't feel a need, either. And I have a lot to lose, so I feel like my body isn't going to be that confused, you know what I mean? :)
    Thank you again!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    One use for a splurge day is having a way to account for and space out days you can't excuse yourself from social eating without causing a stir. I've included weekly splurge days from the beginning, it's hard to say if they help or not. But my splurges are not hog wild. I just try to eat three normal meals. The first time I did overeat, including a big bowl of ice cream, and that was too much.

One way to think about it, as Joe suggests, is that OMAD is a stress on your body. Weekly splurges are a way to relieve the stress.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Let me add one qualifier to the above, I do notice that I tend to go up and down on the size of my meal portions from time to time. Nothing I plan out in advance but if I've made something real tasty I don't hesitate to take an extra portion, say 50% more, if the mood strikes. This is the closest thing to a splurge day in my routine. Also from time to time I might go a little under my normal meal size. Not sure why, I just go by how I feel.

• dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    I feel like i need the splurge days as well. Ive had to limit it to whatever i want within my eating window for the most part, but knowing how Ive been with any type of restrictive diet, I need it or else Ill binge for too many days. I do eat pretty low calorie on my OMAD days, so there are things that I wont allow myself to eat during those days. So its nice to have a day when I can eat those items.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member

Thank you for your feedback! Do you feel like it did encourage weight loss? Or that it just made it more enjoyable?

Both :)
  • ShannonOMAD

Both :)
    Awesome!! Good to know, thank you!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    If I didn't plan a splurge day, it would plan for me unexpectadely! I needed them to keep me going. I made it a rule to not even decide so I wouldn't have to deal with the decision and feeling bad if I decided to so I made it mandatory for me. I would gain a couple lbs from the splurge and it would be gone in 2-3 days after. You can see that trend in my weight chart.

I think you could try to go without them but if you find yourself going off on an unplanned one, you might consider planning some.
  • ShannonOMAD
    I want to thank everyone for their replies! They have all been super helpful! Turns out, my boyfriend (who is attempting OMAD with me) was under the impression that weekends were always splurge days! HA! Poor sucker. Anyway, to assuage his disappointment I told him every 2 weeks we can have 1 splurge day. So, we'll try that out. If I find it derails me, I'll let him splurge and I'll stay on plan :-)
    You guys are all so honest and helpful, I'm so appreciative!