Greek yogurt dressings

Krby13
Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
I like salads, but when I'm counting calories I tend to stay away from them because I love lots of dressing on my salad and hate the taste of low fat or fat free dressings. I saw a selection of Greek yogurt based dressing at the store and am thinking about trying them, but I have a feeling they won't taste "real" enough to me. Has anyone tried these and can say if they are any good? What brands or flavored do you like? Do they taste just like regular dressing or can you tell they are low calorie in one bite?

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Delicious. Hidden Valley Ranch Yogurt dressing my favorite.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    I use the Bolthouse Farms dressings. I've tried Salsa Verde, roasted garlic, caesar and I liked them all. The cilantro avocado is okay but i'm not a huge fan of cilantro so that's why. I've also tried their Raspberry merlot dressing and liked it a lot as well.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    I love salads and dislike the low-fat versions, too. I've tried a lot of the Bolthouse dressings and I've liked almost all of them (didn't love the Cilantro Avocado, but mostly because I thought the Parmesan was a weird flavor to add to a Mexican-ish dressing). Their ranch was pretty good, but maybe try their other flavors first, so you're not expecting them to taste exactly like your favorite regular dressing?

The Salsa Verde has been good on a "taco salad" with taco chicken. I add a little extra tomatillo salsa for a kick.

Also, there's a strawberry poppyseed dressing, maybe the Opa brand? I used it for a salad with chicken, berries, sliced almonds, and feta and it was really good.

They're definitely a little different because the yogurt makes it a little tangy. But, I don't think they taste like chemicals like other lighter options usually do.

If you like Asian dressings, Newman's Own has one with a really good calorie/fat/carb profile and it tastes good. It's not a yogurt based dressing, but it is good! It's like, ginger sesame... or something. Haha.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    We like Opa Ranch and Blue Cheese. We had a family get together and I set the Ranch out in bowls with a veggie platter. My sister in law asked me for the recipe for my "homemade" Ranch.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2017
    I make my own Greek Yogurt dressings! Way better than any of the eh store-bought brands and more cost effective, too!

1 individual serving container of non-fat Greek yogurt, 2 garlic cloves, 2 anchovy fillets, a few heaping spoonfuls of dijon mustard (which is only like 15 calories), 4 tbs lemon juice, 1 tbs olive oil, 1/8 cup (weigh and record how many grams this is) parmesan cheese, 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce.

Throw it all in a blender and blitz away. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If it's too thick, add water until you reach desired thinness. For this recipe, I get 5-6 servings that come out to 80ish calories each. It can easily be doubled/tripled/ntupled and stores for quite some time! This basically makes a Caesar-inspired dressing that I think tastes better than normal Caesar anyway.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Second the vote for Opa blue cheese and Newman's Own light Asian.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,193 Member
    I second the make-it-yourself-if-you-can advice. The variety is endless, even on a single "theme" such as "ranch."

Plus, you control everything.

If not, then Bolthouse and LiteHouse have been good commercial products. I also prefer the LiteHouse selection of dried herbs for use in my salad dressings and other recipes.

For "yogurt base" dressings, you can use a combo of yogurt (regular or greek), buttermilk, sour cream/creme fraiche and a broad variety of herbs and spices (want a little kick then add some cayenne, etc.). I don't blenderize, usually a bowl and whisk suffice. Make it thicker, and you get a good party dip, thinner, a dressing or marinade base. There's a bazillion recipes online for specific blendings/flavors.

I like one "secret" -- on the "Food Wishes" YouTube channel, the chef advises freezing (NOT rock solid) Blue Cheese to make a better crumble than trying to do it with the typical softer blocks from the fridge.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I usually make my own dressings, but I tend to keep a bottle of the Greek yogurt dressings in the fridge at work for when we go out for lunch or when I am pressed for time. I have tried both Bolthouse and Litehouse Opa. The Bolthouse is okay, but I prefer the Litehouse because it is not as sweet and the texture is better. I love the kalamata olive dressing and the regular ranch.