• KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Whoo hoo...that was FAST!! Nice work!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Very good! Back at it!
  • ShannonOMAD
    ShannonOMAD Posts: 122 Member
    12lbs in 3 weeks! Amazing! And cardio every day.. you're awesome! Your posts give me encouragement, thank you!
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    I agree, I wish I had discovered this years ago :) Would have saved me a lot of yoyoing lol
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    edited April 2017
    208 lbs this morning, for 29.75 lb loss since 12/30/16 (although the ticker graciously rounds up to 30). 30 lbs is a milestone, but I'm not marking this because an even bigger one is right around the corner -- 200 lbs! I haven't weighed 200 lbs in over 30 years, and almost nobody in my life now has known me under 200 lbs. That will be something.

Still having some trouble knocking down the consistent numbers I did at the beginning of this journey, and my trendline rate of loss has sagged from 2.0 lb/wk to 1.7 lb/wk. Still, quite happy with anything over 1 lb/wk, but I really want to keep the loss at 2 per week, you know? That's when it's exciting.

Still eating basically the same way, four food group-ish, trying to be carb conscious. On a day where I've behaved, I'll have one fist-sized serving of complex carbs, and also some fruit. I've added fatty coffee daily at @KetoKaHee 's suggestion, and I love that. I make it with one tbs grass fed Kerry Gold butter, one tbs coconut oil, cinnamon, saccharin, and two cups of dark roasted coffee, blended together. So "technically" having this in the morning isn't OMAD, but it's all fat, so it's not that different from having a spoon of coconut oil to kill the appetite during the day. I think what is at work here is keeping insulin spikes from happening, and the fatty coffee doesn't spike insulin.

I've added bodyweight exercise to my routine. 2-3 times a week I'll do pushups, planks, flutter kicks, elbow to knee oblique crunches, and some highly modified chin-ups (low bar, feet on the floor, body at an angle, arm/shoulder motion is almost rowing). Okay I'll say it here. An exercise goal is to start doing chin ups. I haven't managed even one of those for years. So 2-3 times a week I'll work these reps in with 30 minutes of elliptical at a cardio pace (indicated by heart rate monitor), and a nice long brisk walk, distance varies between 2.5 and 4 miles. Trying to keep up the cardio daily. When walking I use Runkeeper, a free app, to monitor distance and pace, and when walking and doing elliptical I use FitBit Charge HR to monitor heart rate. And good music or conversation is essential to those cardio sessions!

Upsets to my routine still trip me up. I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I thrive on routine . . . how boring! But like last weekend's trip interrupted my OMAD progress, I had an event yesterday that tripped it up again. I made excellent progress this week Tue - Thurs, and then a situation at work demanded my attention, and I worked 7am-10pm Thursday, then woke up and worked from home some more from 3am - 6am, then slept in and took the rest of Friday off. But it messed up my OMAD, and instead of a single sensible meal my OMAD window opened up to four hours and I hit a bag of cocoa coated almonds pretty hard . . . and gained a half pound by this morning.

Oh well, no worries, that's life, and I'll either learn to apply OMAD throughout the upsets, or just ride the waves and get back on OMAD when things settle down to the routine, like I did this past week.

Oh, and no April Foolin'! Not with this group, nope.

31884352.png

z2vminztr1cf.png
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    You seem to be totally on top of this, even handling lifes disruptions in stride.
    I can appreciate how big that 200 milestone is, I hope to surpass it this summer.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    You're doing great especially with all that exercising!!! I only walk :p
  • leveejohn
    edited April 2017
    You're doing great especially with all that exercising!!! I only walk :p

Walking is, by far, the mainstay of my routine. There's a bit more to the story, so I guess I'll throw it out here. I will have, at some point in my near future, a black belt test to pass in a martial art called Nihon Goshin Aikido. It's an endurance test where I will have to defend against 150 consecutive attacks . . . if at any point I even put my hands on my knees I fail. I'm not sure when it will be (it's complicated), but sometime this year I hope. Currently I'm a brown belt, and I'll probably have to travel to take the test, so I just need to be ready when they say "come on'.

But that's why I want to keep the cardio going, and also maintain some degree of muscle tone.

Yes I know it's April 1. No, still not April Foolin' :p
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    @leveejohn
    You are doing great! I'm in a similar place as you. I started at 252 and am down to 210. I actually got to 205 once but gained 10-back and now back down 5 to 210. My rate of loss slowed quite a lot. I think the more we are overweight the faster it will come off and as we approach a more ideal weight, it slows. Could have something to do with eating more due to exercise etc. also but that has been my experience. I'm shooting for under 200 this year also. Probably not this month but sometime this year. It's great to get all that off and be able to do stuff as you described! Good luck in your test, that sounds cool! I'm at my lowest maintained weight for about 19-yrs or so.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Your progress is inspiring. And working on black belt Aikido - awesome! Can you give us a little video so we can watch you doing it? I especially like your chart, and would like to create one for myself for this journey. How do you produce it?
  • leveejohn
    edited April 2017
    Thanks @blambo61 and @amflautist . . . chart is done in Microsoft Excel. Sorry, no videos of me doing aikido, but I am in the background on the right during this 'sour candy' demo . . .

Sensei Delgado Sour Candy
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »
    Thanks @blambo61 and @amflautist . . . chart is done in Microsoft Excel. Sorry, no videos of me doing aikido, but I am in the background on the right during this 'sour candy' demo . . .

Sensei Delgado Sour Candy

OMG why would anyone want to do that, it looks so painful!!! :p
  • leveejohn
    For Anthony, that day, it was.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Most painful "sport" I've ever seen!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    12lbs in 3 weeks! Amazing! And cardio every day.. you're awesome! Your posts give me encouragement, thank you!

That is so awesome!
  • 1MADGIRL
    dajoloehr wrote: »
    I agree, I wish I had discovered this years ago :) Would have saved me a lot of yoyoing lol

You and me both!! I've lived alone for years so it would've been easy to do as well!
  • 1MADGIRL
    @leveejohn your progress is amazing! I'm looking forward for you to get below 200! I know its going to happen soon!
  • leveejohn
    edited April 2017

As far as pain goes, Sensei Delgado (same one in the video) told me something interesting. I mentioned to him I had to lose some weight because at my age hitting the mat hurts! He told me "The mat hurts because you still fear the mat." He said it in his thick Bronx accent, which made it even better. Know something? He was right.

So whatever the "mat" is in your life, don't fear it. Relax. It will be there, or it won't. "Ain't nothing but a thing." -- which is another wise saying I borrowed from a guy at work.

In the context of this blog, maybe the "mat" that we fear is hunger. Relax. Don't let it play in your head. It will be there, or it won't. If we hit it, no big deal. Get up and go again.
  • andyvedz
    andyvedz Posts: 22 Member
    Oh I love your graph!

Actually I just love graphs in general :joy: but yours is inspiring as well! Well done!
  • leveejohn
    andyvedz wrote: »
    Oh I love your graph!

Actually I just love graphs in general :joy: but yours is inspiring as well! Well done!
    Thanks, but I've hit a plateau around 210 that is irking me something fierce . . . . back to basics!!! Stay tuned . . .