Are Calories all equal?

AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
Are calories all equal ?
I can either have 2 slices of bread with chocolate nutella spread and a bar of snickers or I can have 3 white potatoes with cheese and a can of tuna.

I don`t like eating so the bread and chocolate is more convenient but is it equal.

Shall I eat the potato with the cheese and can of Tuna?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Depends on your goals...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Nutritional values are different, different foods provide satiety over others..

You say you hate to eat, I would choose the highest calories for less volume of food.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Calories are equal but they do have context. Would I be full on bread and nutella vs something with more fibre and protein? Probably not. Just experiment with what works for you and leaves you satisfied.
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    A calorie is a calorie--it is the unit of energy required to heat 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. So from that perspective, all calories are equal. (As an interesting aside that not every knows--what we commonly call a calorie is actually 1,000 calories. A true calorie is an extremely small amount of energy, as defined above).

Now, as far as nutrition and the health and satisfaction of eating calories from different sources, that is a whole other story..........
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Total calories determine what weight you will or will not use.

Satiety--feeling full--will depend on other details, like vitamins, fiber, fat, complex carbohydrate (starch) and simple carbohydrate (sugar) content.

You can get the same calories out of junk food but wind up gaining weight because the junk food doesn't satisfy your body's other parameters, leaving you feeling hungry. Then, because you are hungry, you eat too much of additional food to fill out your 'dance card' in those other categories.

For my body, I find if I eat 1600 calories (roughly my current target) of low fat, high complex carbs, at the end of the day I'm still so hungry I could eat the boxes the foods came in. OTOH if I overshoot my mfp fat target and undershoot the carb target by, say 70 grams, I am not hungry throughout the day and may spontaneously finish the day 100 or more calories under-target because I am full.

You have to experiment with your diet to find out how your body responds to these non-calorie categories, to find a diet that you can stick to that results in a calorie deficit so you can lose weight.

The only diet that works is the one you can stick to.

(I hypothesize my body's preference for a non-mediterranean diet arises out of my northern european ancestry--sausages and preserved meats would have been a staple for half the year when the world is covered in snow, with a dearth of the fruits and grains that would have been available to, say, Italians, so there may have been some natural selection for people who can tolerate fat intake. So far my cholesterol has been rock solid in the 'good' zone regardless of what I eat, though I don't want to push that too hard!)
  • AsrarHussain
    stealthq wrote: »
    If the calorie amounts are equal, for fat loss you're fine either way.

The nutrition is not at all equal. Depending on what your overall diet looks like, one of those choices is probably better than the other. Definitely if you tend to be low on protein, tuna is better. If your overall diet is decently balanced and you're in the mood for it, the chocolate is better.

My protein intake was met. I was in the mood for chocolate later.
  • AsrarHussain
    Depends on your goals...

I am bulking.
  • AsrarHussain
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

You say you hate to eat, I would choose the highest calories for less volume of food.

I dont hate to eat. When the eating gets too much then it can become annoying. I eat around 5-6 meals a day. I am bulking so it can get annoying.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2017
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I dont hate to eat. When the eating gets too much then it can become annoying. I eat around 5-6 meals a day. I am bulking so it can get annoying.

In that case, eat whatever you find the least filling, will make you less uncomfortable and which you find the most enjoyable to eat
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    As a unit of measure, yes calories are all the same. But we don't just eat calories. We eat food.

Even when of equal calories, foods vary greatly in terms of nutrition, satiety, satisfaction, energy levels, and other things of that nature.