What's the pettiest reason that would make you stop dating someone?

Replies

• iBill6273
    iBill6273 Posts: 48 Member
    Does a court order count?
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I once tried to date a really good friend of mine who was really into me and while we got along great I couldn't get passed his weird side profile.

I'm ok with this. I probably do this too. If you can't like what someone looks like in your peripheral vision you'll never see them quite right directly either. Just call it a day and move along.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited April 2017
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ...They've been engaged for 12 years now. They're still not married...

Geez, don't even bother. If you're not gonna get married, why get engaged at all? Talk about stringing somebody along... :p
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    If he didn't wash his hands after using the bathroom.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    iBill6273 wrote: »
    Does a court order count?

this is a trick question, isn't it?
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I've been having fun reading these.. some interesting insights to be gleaned. As for me? I've dated all sorts of people and was willing to give anyone a shot at least once (which obviously led to some (read: many) bad decisions).

The only things I can think of that would really turn me away are:

Eats foods in a way I find personally disgusting.

Ex. I had a friend (not someone I ever dated) who every year on his birthday would want to go to Red Lobster for his birthday celebration. Every year (for five years) I would go when no one else would/could and watch him horrendously devour crab legs and corn.. and the noises he made while doing so were just so cringe-inducing. He would suck, slurp, nibble and make the most obnoxious noises I think I have ever heard a person make while eating food. Ugh. I've dated a few fellas that had some minor obnoxious eating habits, but nothing compares to said friend. I quickly realized why his whole family bailed citing "allergies" every year and why all the other friends we shared were suddenly "busy" on that day, lol.

Is overly clingy, emotionally insecure or can't/won't stand up for himself (to anyone).

Tied in with this is someone who is indecisive 100% of the time.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member

Ex. I had a friend (not someone I ever dated) who every year on his birthday would want to go to Red Lobster for his birthday celebration. Every year (for five years) I would go when no one else would/could and watch him horrendously devour crab legs and corn.. and the noises he made while doing so were just so cringe-inducing. He would suck, slurp, nibble and make the most obnoxious noises I think I have ever heard a person make while eating food. Ugh. I've dated a few fellas that had some minor obnoxious eating habits, but nothing compares to said friend. I quickly realized why his whole family bailed citing "allergies" every year and why all the other friends we shared were suddenly "busy" on that day, lol.

I agree, food noises are the worst, just your description had me cringing. I have to leave the room when some people I know are making their disgusting eating noises, gag.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    I couldn't date a chik that acted ghetto...
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member

I couldn't have people in my life at all that acted this way. Everyone has that little bit in them, and it can come out when the right buttons are pushed. But all the time? No thanks, I'll pass...
  • Carillon_Campanello

I will never understand why they put the sign "employees must wash hands" next to the sink. Is an employee who isn't taking the time to wash their hands IN THE SINK taking time instead to read the sign NEXT TO THE SINK.

One of life's little mysteries I guess.
  • Carillon_Campanello

Why you trippin' fool?
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    She said she didn't fart. Please. Everyone does it.

It's ok.

:D
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member

I will never understand why they put the sign "employees must wash hands" next to the sink. Is an employee who isn't taking the time to wash their hands IN THE SINK taking time instead to read the sign NEXT TO THE SINK.

It's the law.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Sara1791 wrote: »

It's the law.

Put it by the door handle or at eye level next to the door where forgetful employees will see it. Not next to a sink they aren't thinking about.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    If she can't go a day without having a drink. That's a problem.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sara1791 wrote: »

It's the law.

Put it by the door handle or at eye level next to the door where forgetful employees will see it. Not next to a sink they aren't thinking about.
    That's a good idea. Rewrite the law.
    ETA: I'm being sincere. I know it's hard to tell in chit chat.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »

I agree, food noises are the worst, just your description had me cringing. I have to leave the room when some people I know are making their disgusting eating noises, gag.

Yep.. it was worse because it was in a restaurant where everyone was already cracking crab legs, a noise that makes me violently ill. So I have that going on in the background and foreground with all the unpleasant noises.

And of course, the embarrassment of being associated with this person who clearly can't eat food correctly in public spaces.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    man we really need a "pettiest reason you ever broke things off with someone" thread after this
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    :lol:
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    I'm not proud of this, given my own history with weight and diet. But many years ago, right after I left the military and I was trying hard to take off my ETS weight, I was working out daily and dieting pretty hard. I was about 220 at the time and wanted to get under 200. I started dating a girl, she was nice. But she didn't give a *kitten* about she ate, at all. One day we were out at a restaurant and I'm munching a salad, and she orders a big fat greasy burger and fries. I got so disgusted watching her eat it that I ended it the next day. Couldn't do it.