Intermittent Fasting

Replies

• wanna_be_free
    wanna_be_free Posts: 210 Member
    Here are two great videos from Dr. Jason Fung, an authority on Intermittent Fasting -- he explains it so that it makes SENSE!

https://youtu.be/tIuj-oMN-Fk

https://youtu.be/8J9DfeOYBKs

Dee

ive just watched the first video it was fantastic thankyou.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    edited March 2017
    Here are two great videos from Dr. Jason Fung, an authority on Intermittent Fasting -- he explains it so that it makes SENSE!

ive just watched the first video it was fantastic thankyou.

I found the videos fascinating!

Dee
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Well, I started 5:2 last week. My strategy is high volume, low cal foods spread across the last few hours of the day. I've been having trouble falling asleep though and have yet to make a full 36 hours at 600 cals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Yeah, 5:2 is hard core. I am not a fan of being hungry for too long, that makes me over eat on the next regular day.

16:8 is perfect for me. I have two large meals. One at 3-4 hours after waking, and the other 5-7 hours later...depending on exercise. If I exercise that day I'll have a midday 200 calorie snack. The last meal is four hours before bed. Two big meals do it for me.

Good luck on that 5:2 thingy.
  • moiraxg
    moiraxg Posts: 3 Member
    I want to join this too!
  • BetterB82
    BetterB82 Posts: 1 Member
    Alittle late to the party but, my wife and I started IF on Sunday. We will take pictures and record measurements/weight in the morning in order to have a baseline. 16:8 doesn't seem to be too bad but I am chugging water until noon then breaking my fast with a Pre-Jym pre workout in order to hit the gym. Feel free to add me as well, we are def still learning IF and would love to have others to get feedback from.

On a side note, if you are trying to restrict your calories make sure you do not go below your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. At that point you will begin to lose muscle mass (as stated above) therefore slowing down your metabolism. There are a ton of calculators out there (I use www.iifym.com macro calculator, it will give you alot of information just look for TDEE.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    diddyncsu wrote: »
    Alittle late to the party but, my wife and I started IF on Sunday. We will take pictures and record measurements/weight in the morning in order to have a baseline. 16:8 doesn't seem to be too bad but I am chugging water until noon then breaking my fast with a Pre-Jym pre workout in order to hit the gym. Feel free to add me as well, we are def still learning IF and would love to have others to get feedback from.

On a side note, if you are trying to restrict your calories make sure you do not go below your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. At that point you will begin to lose muscle mass (as stated above) therefore slowing down your metabolism. There are a ton of calculators out there (I use www.iifym.com macro calculator, it will give you alot of information just look for TDEE.

to lose weight you have to eat less than your TDEE your TDEE is your BMR and activity calories combined(your maintenance calories). as for muscle/lean mass loss.
    That is why its recommended to strength train and get enough protein to prevent this from happening.its said not to eat below your BMR(what you burn at rest),but obese people can get away with it for a short time.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    edited March 2017
    Yes, CICO is a simple concept to comprehend. I like IF because it makes me feel satiated when I eat. Splitting my calories (below TDEE) into two meals makes me feel satisfied and takes away my urge to eat. Also, I have cut down on carbs and am feeling so much better. I am a sucker for anything white (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread -- you name it), so limiting my intake has helped tremendously. I've learned that giving up on carbs entirely (which is almost impossible, given that fruit and veggies have carbs, too!), just makes me want them more and I end up GAINING weight. The parameters of IF gives me the boundaries that I need.
  • kaleiangel
    kaleiangel Posts: 23 Member
    Still going hard with IF 16:8. I shift the 8 hour window when necessary. I need to have a recovery meal after my 6:30 pm fitness classes, so I do 12pm-8pm window on those two days. Otherwise I'm pretty good at 10:30-6:30. This is really working perfectly for my life :)

Starting weight: 198

3/15- 195 (down 3)
    3/22-193 (down 5 total)
    3/29
  • PeeshaPi
    PeeshaPi Posts: 30 Member
    Been IF 16:8 +/- an hour for about 2 whole weeks along with keto and loving it! I'm excited to see what another week looks like! My goal is to be back to 150 by my birthday in September! It has been written and so it shall be done! :D Baby weight be gone!

Starting weight March 7: 196
    March 14: 189
    March 21: 186
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Tomorrow is weigh in day for me....I can't wait!!!
  • kaleiangel
    kaleiangel Posts: 23 Member
    Congrats DeeDiddyGee :D
  • horainforest
    horainforest Posts: 5 Member
    Hi I am in too. Start 11:30 to 7:30 from tomorrow
  • PeeshaPi
    PeeshaPi Posts: 30 Member
    SlayStrong wrote: »
    I've lost 23 lbs with MFP and intermittent fasting. I've got 12 pounds or so to go.

Great loss! Keep it up! I'll add you as a friend. I'm planning on continuing the IF - I've gotten amazing results so far!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    I seem to have at least stopped gaining weight. 28+ miles a week wasn't enough.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    edited March 2017
    Nice! I'm doing 4:3 which ends up involving IF. 2000 cals 4 days/week and 500 cals 3 days. I've lost 10 pounds in ~25 days. I don't eat breakfast at all anymore even on my higher calorie days. Then on my low calorie days, i end up getting at least a 20 hour fast in before i eat. I love it. very liberating to me not to have to plan and prep all those meals. it reduces my opportunities to go over my calories and eat stuff I don't need. and given that i've been a yo-yo dieter for 25 years, I need the help with reducing error.

I also still get to enjoy foods i like, like cheeseburgers, calzones, burritos, etc. on my 2000 cal days. i just eat light all day (veggies, high fiber foods, lean protein etc) just like i would on my low cal days, except for i have some calories left for fried chicken! i feel awesome!!!! All Foods Fit!
  • docgee918
    docgee918 Posts: 12 Member
    SlayStrong wrote: »
    I know it's too late to join this challenge, but I practice intermittent fasting as a lifestyle along with MFP. Would love to connect with other MFP people interested in intermittent fasting.

I've lost 23 lbs with MFP and intermittent fasting. I've got 12 pounds or so to go.

I'm doing the same thing. Getting used to it. Had to figure out how to accommodate the days when I burn 300 calories at Fitbody. I'm truly hopeful