Sober March Challenge #marchingtosobriety

123457»

Replies

• KelseyBergemann
    KelseyBergemann Posts: 9 Member
    The end of the month is almost here! I definitely didn't do a completely clean sober march, had a few drinks (especially in the last two weeks, my determination faded lol) but in comparison to my usual drinking habits this month was WAY way better. My husband only drank on his hall pass night which I'm very surprised and proud of him, he definitely was the MVP of sober march! I lost just about 6lbs without really changing my eating habits or exercise which was great! I'm hoping that my habits this month will carry over to the next. We will see. Thanks everyone for joining in on the challenge with me! Enjoy your last two days of sobriety :-)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    @KombuchaKat - I'm pretty sure it was mold. I've brewed quite a few batches of bucha and never had one that looked like this (little green and white dots on top of the liquid). My friend that gave it to me hadn't made any in awhile so that scoby came out of a scoby hotel she had in the cupboard. May have picked up some bad bacteria while sitting in there. It's weird, though, I took a small piece of that one and put it in a smaller starter batch and, aside from looking cloudy, it still seems healthy. Kind of a slow-grow so maybe that just was an unhealthy scoby. If that one doesn't work I'll just have to find one online I guess.

In the meantime, I found some GT's Lavender Love at the discount grocery for 99 cents a bottle so bought a few of them to tide me over. I've also been experimenting with shrubs or shrub-a-likes. I added a little bit of my blueberry vinegar to some Zevia ginger ale and it was pretty tasty.

Still sober on day 29!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Yay, everybody! (Like Kelsey, and thank you Kelsey so much for starting this thread) I haven't been completely clean, but what a difference, and I'm still signed up through April 15 b/c of Lent. Damn, I really like alcohol. That's one realization I've had. The other is that alcohol is not my friend. As Oprah said once YEARS ago, "I used to see crazy coming and I'd invite crazy to lunch. Now I've learned to cross the street when I see crazy coming." Hoping to get to that point with alcohol because crazy still seems pretty attractive and worth inviting to lunch. Still . . . pounds down, good sleep, clear head.

And you kombucha girls, no WONDER I was always afraid it would kill me. "green and white dots on top"? But the stuff in bottles from HEB is delish. Just can't help thinking a little vodka would help it taste even better. What is wrong with me???

Congratulations to all who have stuck with the journey. Just a couple more days for most of you. It's been a good experience.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Re: the Kombucha - this is the first time it's ever gone bad on me. I remember reading once that there's no way you WOULDN'T know if it was a bad batch and that is definitely true!

Yes, if there's anyone left here who was just planning the sober March challenge then you have nearly reached the summit! Even though I have another couple weeks until Easter, I have stopped counting the days like I was in the beginning. (That is until today when I just counted them - 17 more to go!) It's become the new normal not to drink, which is very strange. There's a part of me that's a little scared to start up again. I do miss it and I fear that I will fall back into the habit of daily overindulgence. Definitely something to be aware of.

One thing that has been inspiring for me happened this week. I just became a grandma again on Monday! This is my third, but the first one for my youngest son and his wife. My new granddaughter is just amazing and I want to continue to be a healthy grandma for all my grandkids. My son and daughter-in-law have been fairly heavy drinkers in the past few years, so it has caused some concern. Alcohol is a big part of her family's get-togethers and her family has a lot of money, so it is always top shelf liquor. So my daughter-in-law did not drink at all during her pregnancy and I found out my son had also stopped drinking for the past month. He said he did not want to be under the influence if he had to drive her to the hospital. I was pretty surprised that he had made that decision, but very proud of him! I had not seen him for several weeks and he has lost a bit of weight.

Tomorrow is MY weigh-in day, so it will be interesting to see what the scale has to say. As of last Friday, I am down about 7-8 lbs from the beginning of March. First time I've seen a loss in over a year. Even though my food choices have been consistently good, those empty calories from wine have held me back from reaching my goal weight. I'm not sure if I will get there by Easter, but I'm a heck of a lot closer than I was a month ago!
  • donimfp
    Congratulations on everything @RaeBeeBaby! I'm with you on this til Easter. Wonderful about the new granddaughter. I have 2 (ages 3 and 8 mos.) that I don't get to see nearly enough--4 hour drive. Leaving today to take the 3 year old to a play tomorrow--our second together, Little Red Riding Hood. She has declared that "Mommy (my daughter) can't go! This is just for Rosie and Don Don (me)." And she's now old enough to call me every day to tell me big news--like that she's eating an omelet and apple sauce.

I've lost 7.2 lbs. during this month of sobriety. I really just started MFP, so those are my first pounds lost at all. I'm with you on the trepidation about going back to moderate drinking post-Easter. Is it possible?? My BFF, who doesn't drink anymore and goes to AA commented that she's seen so many people say, "I'm back. I tried moderate drinking but by day 3 I was all in and had to go to rehab again." I don't put myself in that category but I DO understand how the intention to drink just one glass of wine can quickly become two, and then three, and then . . . hello 7.2 pounds!

Here's to the next 2 weeks, and congrats to everyone who did this March challenge, even if not perfectly (like me on St. Pat's).
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Just popping in to say hello and that I'm still sober on April 5th. I've gotten very used to drinking the sparkling water and vinegar combo (my version of a shrub). Had it with ginger ale yesterday but it was a little sweet. Only 10 days left until Easter. Hard to believe as it seemed like FOREVER when Lent first started.

My hubby who committed to a sober March hasn't had a drink yet either. He asked me to buy tonic water at the grocery the other day, so I fully expected him to have a gin and tonic that evening, but he didn't. He's been drinking root beer and cream soda. Maybe he's planning to stick it out until Easter, but I haven't mentioned it and neither has he.

Congrats @donimfp on the 7.2 lb loss! I weighed last Friday and have lost about the same as you. I would really like to have a 10 pound loss during this period of abstinence. That would be something worth celebrating!

You're lucky to have your friend who is sober. My former best friend of 30 years turned out not to be the BFF that she had always promised to be. The demise of our friendship after all that time was due to her alcohol addiction. Her drinking overshadowed, controlled and affected everything in her life and our friendship had been on rocky ground for a few years. Still I held on because all of her other relationships had failed and I just couldn't give up on her. She finally did something that was so completely unforgivable that it ended our relationship forever. So sad. I have heard that she finally stopped drinking, but it was too late for us.

Anyway, not to bring down the room, but being aware of your alcohol consumption and being able to stop drinking for a set period of time IS being in control of it (IMHO).
  • donimfp
    I needed to see this @RaeBeeBaby because have been getting discouraged. 7.2 is good, but it's just staying at that. I'm getting those "What's the use?" feelings, which can mean disaster. Gonna try to make this last week of Lent a really positive one. I just have a real suspicion that going back to "moderate" drinking is going to be more trouble than it's worth. But I have such a LONG way to go on the weight loss . . . it all seems overwhelming at the moment. Thanks for your upbeat updates!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Pretty quiet in here, as I think most of the "Marchers" have all departed. Hopefully it was a good experience for most!

@donimfp - I think you've done amazing! Consider this a jump start on the ongoing path to greater fitness. I am hopeful that I can return to drinking with more moderation than previously. Time will tell in that regard, but I'm not going to worry about it overmuch.

For now, still no alcohol despite a major temptation this past weekend. We traveled to Washington state to visit our son and family for granddaughter's 1st birthday party. My son was making homemade margaritas and there was LOTS of wine from local wineries, as well. They even did an early Easter egg hunt (eggs and candy for the kids, beer and champagne splits for the adults). I found several of the little champagnes and just brought them home. No drinking - not even a sip. Hubby is still on the wagon with me, as well.

So, I looked it up and Lent actually ends on Holy Thursday, April 13th. That is just 2 days from now! I am thinking I will stick it out until the Saturday. I plan to do the traditional Good Friday fast on the 14th so don't believe alcohol fits in with that day. Saturday I will be breaking my alcohol fast. I think my sons and their wives will all be gathering at my younger son's house to meet new baby and maybe have some cake for my birthday, which is Monday, April 17th. I think we'll have some champagne to go along with that cake!
  • donimfp
    You've done so great, RaeBeeBaby! Enjoy that champagne. I've made it most of the way and discovered that I LOVE weight training at the same time, so hopefully you're right and this is a jump start. We're going to see Lady Day at the Emerson Bar and Grill tomorrow, and apparently the seating is like the Emerson (nightclub tables) and wine is offered. That might be a good way to ease back into having a glass of wine as a special thing, not just because. Happy Easter to any who are still here.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Well, plans have changed and we won't be having a birthday gathering at my son's house after all. The other son and family have colds and don't want to expose new baby, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed. No champagne toast for my birthday. Today being Good Friday, I am fasting today so still planning to break my alcohol fast tomorrow. It's supposed to be a beautiful sunny day (first in a LONG time) so we'll be doing yard work. I think a dinner out with a glass of wine is definitely in order.

How cool about seeing Lady Day! I adore Billie Holiday! Where are you seeing it?

We have a concert coming up next month. A singer named LP will be in Portland at the Star Theater. I'm kind of obsessed with her music lately and was thrilled to find out she'll be nearby. She is very popular in Europe right now and doing most of her touring there, so the Portland venue was quite a surprise. I think it is also a similar set-up with nightclub tables (at least I'm hoping so).

So, anyway - glad I have stuck it out with the alcohol abstinence this Lent. It was a tough one, but I soldiered on. I said to myself (out loud this morning) - "Not going to do this next year!" LOL

Good luck to you @donimfp and anyone else who is still hanging around.
  • Daniel_Damti
    Daniel_Damti Posts: 33 Member
    totally feel you tbh i gave up alcohol like a week again mainly for health and weight loss
  • donimfp
    Lady Day is in Austin with an amazing singer (and actress) named Chanel playing BH. She channeled her (no pun intended) amazingly. Had a vodka and Perrier at "the Emerson." It was good but not as good as I remember. Hmmm.