Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Replies

• wendyron3
    wendyron3 Posts: 91 Member
    JFT- follow plan with no sugar today!! Water!!!

JFT- Thursday - workout weights and cardio! Need some energy! Water!!
  • lbohart
    lbohart Posts: 1 Member
    Lost 18 pounds and then gained 12 back since Xmas. So, starting over today. My immediate goal is to commit to keeping my daily log again. That seemed to make a huge difference. Fingers crossed.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    @Bex953172

I've had no carbs so far today! (It's 2.30pm)
    I'm so hungry

Howwwww do you survive

It's hard, especially when you first start. It's really the sugar that does me in. I'm always wanting sweets or breads or potatoes. If I stick to snacking on veggies and one serving of fruit a day, and use Stevia or Splenda in my coffee, I do okay. It's the white starchy stuff that does me in...well, that and chocolate! haha! :smile:

Have I told you lately how much you make me chuckle? I love your sense of humor.
  • PackerFanInGB
    @slittlemeister Welcome back!!!! I was so happy to log on and see you! I was just thinking yesterday that I was going to send you a message to see if you were doing okay. We missed you! Hope you are feeling better after your surgery. :)
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,048 Member
    @Bex953172

I've had no carbs so far today! (It's 2.30pm)
    I'm so hungry

Howwwww do you survive

Have I told you lately how much you make me chuckle? I love your sense of humor.

Haha you have actually!
    I don't even think I'm being funny... which in itself is pretty funny :sweat_smile:

Well my limit for carbs is 155 and I'm currently at 135 and that's with all my dinner added!
    You best be under in yours after what I've endured today :sweat_smile:
    I'm 20g over in sugar. So going to locate the main source of that and tackle that one

What are alternatives that are low carb because my evening meal always consists of potato, pasta or rice

• PackerFanInGB
    @azulvioleta6

I agree that 75g isn't too restrictive once you cut the sugar and sweets out. I struggle because I've never much liked vegetables and have an enormous sweet tooth! I do great all day until about 8:00 p.m. and then I give into the carb/sweets craving and blow it. I get so mad at myself! I'm trying really hard again today to eliminate the sugars. Once I can do that, I'll be okay again. But it's a daily struggle for me. I do love a good salad, though, with lots of stuff on it like hard boiled egg, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, olives, chicken or tuna, cucumbers. Maybe I will add that to my goals is to make myself a salad to bring to work for lunch at least 3 days a week. I got out of the habit of doing that and it hasn't been a good thing. :wink:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Bex953172 wrote: »

Haha you have actually!
    I don't even think I'm being funny... which in itself is pretty funny :sweat_smile:

Well my limit for carbs is 155 and I'm currently at 135 and that's with all my dinner added!
    I'm 20g over in sugar. So going to locate the main source of that and tackle that one

What are alternatives that are low carb because my evening meal always consists of potato, pasta or rice

We always had potato, pasta or rice also. My family still does. I just don't have that with them. I sometimes eat a baked sweet potato or yam now instead of white potato. I use spaghetti squash or whole wheat noodles for spaghetti instead of regular spaghetti noodles. I recently found a bag of Green Giant frozen riced cauliflower at the grocery store, which is just cauliflower shredded like rice and frozen. I have been using that this week instead of mashed potatoes. It's not the same, but I try fool myself into thinking it is. I know they say that the whole wheat (brown) options are better than the white options, so wheat pasta noodles or brown rice are better for you. I also eat a salad with our main course or have two different vegetables with dinner instead of a potato...like I will have asparagus or broccoli, as well as a sliced up tomato or cucumber, along with a piece of chicken. It fills me up until my 8:00 witching hour when I start craving those sweets again. :)

You not thinking you are being funny makes me chuckle even more! LOL! We must have a very large time difference from where you are in the UK to where I am in the US. It's only a little after noon here. I will make SURE I stay under my goal now that I know you suffered all day! I'd feel really guilty if you were the only one suffering!
  • dwntwn5
    dwntwn5 Posts: 69 Member
    JFTuesday
    - Stay within calories (Leftover pizza casserole will last a few days. Don't judge.) :) - No. I was a little over again. But, I didn't binge on the pizza casserole...
    - Drink more water during the day! - Yes! Finally
    - Do laundry tonight. - No. Where did the time go?

JFT Wednesday
    I'm late checking in today. I had a work crisis this morning that needed immediate attention. All is settled now so here I am!
    - Log everything I eat today
    - Do laundry tonight
    - Drink water during the day

Also, thank god the pizza casserole is gone!

• Bex953172

Haha you have actually!

We always had potato, pasta or rice also. My family still does. I just don't have that with them. I sometimes eat a baked sweet potato or yam now instead of white potato. I use spaghetti squash or whole wheat noodles for spaghetti instead of regular spaghetti noodles. I recently found a bag of Green Giant frozen riced cauliflower at the grocery store, which is just cauliflower shredded like rice and frozen. I have been using that this week instead of mashed potatoes. It's not the same, but I try fool myself into thinking it is. I know they say that the whole wheat (brown) options are better than the white options, so wheat pasta noodles or brown rice are better for you. I also eat a salad with our main course or have two different vegetables with dinner instead of a potato...like I will have asparagus or broccoli, as well as a sliced up tomato or cucumber, along with a piece of chicken. It fills me up until my 8:00 witching hour when I start craving those sweets again. :)

You not thinking you are being funny makes me chuckle even more! LOL! We must have a very large time difference from where you are in the UK to where I am in the US. It's only a little after noon here. I will make SURE I stay under my goal now that I know you suffered all day! I'd feel really guilty if you were the only one suffering!

Haha you best had!! (How's that for some accountability!)
    My toddler has just nicked half my chips and swapped them with hers so god knows what that weighed now lol!

So I've built up quite a big shopping list now!
    My partners gonna be proper weirded out by this lol I've not told him I'm overhauling my diet!

I even just gave up an Oreo donut!!
    Okay i lie, I had a third of it :smirk:

But still better than the whole thing!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member

Tuesday:
    1. Weigh in :)
    2. Track all food :)
    3. Under 75G carbs :) 74!
    4. walk on at least one work break for 15 minutes :)
    5. at least two hours of salsa/bachata :neutral: the dancing was lousy, but I went! I really need to go into the big city where people know what they are doing...the scene here in my small city is not so great
    6. 10+ cups water :)

Wednesday:
    1. Track all food
    2. under 75 G carbs
    3. walk on at least one work break
    4. do at least one self-care activity
    5. cardio/weight workout
    6. 10+ cups water
  • azulvioleta6
    edited April 2017
    @azulvioleta6

I agree that 75g isn't too restrictive once you cut the sugar and sweets out. I struggle because I've never much liked vegetables and have an enormous sweet tooth! I do great all day until about 8:00 p.m. and then I give into the carb/sweets craving and blow it. I get so mad at myself! I'm trying really hard again today to eliminate the sugars. Once I can do that, I'll be okay again. But it's a daily struggle for me. I do love a good salad, though, with lots of stuff on it like hard boiled egg, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, olives, chicken or tuna, cucumbers. Maybe I will add that to my goals is to make myself a salad to bring to work for lunch at least 3 days a week. I got out of the habit of doing that and it hasn't been a good thing. :wink:

Oh, I would not do it if it were not absolutely necessary for health and weight loss in my case. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but fresh fruit is my weakness--I can easily gain 10 pounds every June just because of the easy access to great strawberries, blueberries and cherries. My body is *that* sensitive to carbs. My heritage is mostly Spanish and I spent many years living in South America (tons of grains and tubers with everything), so cutting out the rice and potatoes was really very hard. I have a couple things that I only indulge in eating once a year (like paella) at this point, but it took me years to be able to change my eating so drastically. I still do eat (brown) rice and pasta, but I consume those in very carefully controlled quantities (sometimes only half a serving) and I know that I am unlikely to lose any weight on days when I do that. Indulging in that just a tiny bit is how I regained 30 of the nearly 100 pounds that I had lost. I have no choice but to be super strict.

One thing that I discovered in my tracking was that I tend not to overindulge at night when I have had a substantial breakfast in the morning. Making sure to get enough protein in the morning might be helpful for you.

I love veggies, but I have to pre-prep or it is just too difficult to get enough of them into my diet.
  • azulvioleta6

Well, my go-to dinner is a huge green salad (last night it had romaine, spinach and winter kale from my garden, but it varies depending on what I have) with a bit of Italian dressing, a turkey burger and 2 oz. of baked sweet potato fries.

You could have a baked or grilled chicken breast with some roasted asparagus, Brussels sprouts, green beans, etc. and a caprese salad.

You could have a piece of fish with homemade coleslaw or curtido.

Shrimp ceviche.

Hamburger or turkeyburger with cheese, lettuce wrapped, or served over a grilled portabello mushroom, with some avocado. I would add a green salad too.

If you have 155 G carbs per day, you can certainly include *some* rice, potatoes or pasta, but think about how to make those things veggie-heavy. Even on 100G/day you could do that. For example, half of a serving of angel hair pasta mixed with zucchini noodles, topped with pesto and grilled shrimp. Veggie and meat-heavy Chinese stir-fry with 1/2 a cup of brown rice. Salmon en papillote cooked with mushrooms, served with something like 3 oz of baked potato.

Another thing that I do is to prep the veggies for a Vietnamese noodle dish, then I add peanut sauce and shrimp or grilled chicken. The noodles aren't really necessary...sometimes I will use 1/2 of a serving.

17522854_10154268295362120_116693434893902345_n.jpg?oh=3eced4ae624ded4a94d9c12a266f571e&oe=595C2CBD
  • Bex953172

Well, my go-to dinner is a huge green salad (last night it had romaine, spinach and winter kale from my garden, but it varies depending on what I have) with a bit of Italian dressing, a turkey burger and 2 oz. of baked sweet potato fries.

You could have a baked or grilled chicken breast with some roasted asparagus, Brussels sprouts, green beans, etc. and a caprese salad.

You could have a piece of fish with homemade coleslaw or curtido.

Shrimp ceviche.

Hamburger or turkeyburger with cheese, lettuce wrapped, or served over a grilled portabello mushroom, with some avocado. I would add a green salad too.

If you have 155 G carbs per day, you can certainly include *some* rice, potatoes or pasta, but think about how to make those things veggie-heavy. Even on 100G/day you could do that. For example, half of a serving of angel hair pasta mixed with zucchini noodles, topped with pesto and grilled shrimp. Veggie and meat-heavy Chinese stir-fry with 1/2 a cup of brown rice. Salmon en papillote cooked with mushrooms, served with something like 3 oz of baked potato.

Another thing that I do is to prep the veggies for a Vietnamese noodle dish, then I add peanut sauce and shrimp or grilled chicken. The noodles aren't really necessary...sometimes I will use 1/2 of a serving.

17522854_10154268295362120_116693434893902345_n.jpg?oh=3eced4ae624ded4a94d9c12a266f571e&oe=595C2CBD

Are.. are you a chef?

I don't even know what some of them are let alone how to make them!!
    What's a zucchini? Is that what I call a courgette?

Shrimp ceviche?! What are they!!

If you ever have like a dinner party and you're short of guests... *nudge nudge* :wink:

I'll bring wine!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Dang! I got so busy chatting with everyone that I forgot to post my goals for today. Huh. Does that mean I can eat as many carbs as I want @Bex953172 ?
    J4T - Tuesday
    1. Journal every single bite. :) YUP!
    2. Carbs under 75g, Sugar under 29g and fat under 50grams :/ Nope but better than Monday!
    3. 80 oz water ;) 60 oz so that's still kind of a win for me.
    4. Gym tonight for 30 minutes of activity, then tan and massage session :/ Nope. Kept my couch company again.
    5. Mark at least 2 things off my To-Do list at work :)
    6. Pack tomorrow's lunch, tonight. Pre-log it. :)
    7. Make at least one person smile today :)
    8. Earbuds at work listening to nature sounds to remain focused :)
    9. Unplug, read and journal one hour before bed :)
    10. Get up 30 minutes earlier tomorrow :)

J4T - Wednesday
    1. Journal every bite :) Did this!
    2. Carbs under 75g :) I did this just for you, @Bex953172 !
    3. Sugar under 29g :)
    4. More steps than yesterday :)
    5. Go to dentist appointment and try not to be a big baby :)
    6. Pack tomorrow's lunch tonight and pre-log it :)
    7. Don't get drawn into drama at work. Stay positive. :) It was a good day at work today.
    8. Unplug, read from Simple Abundance book and gratitude journal tonight :) Headed to bed in the next 40 minutes
    9. Get to work 30 minutes earlier tomorrow.....?? ;) Remains to be seen

I'll post tomorrow's goals in the morning! Have a great evening everyone!
  • dph118
    dph118 Posts: 89 Member
    edited April 2017
    dph118 wrote: »

Wednesday's goals:
    1. Drink 8 glasses of water :) 10
    2. Meet my calorie goal :) Was under goal! I also met my carb goal of 20 g
    3. Meet my step goal :) Beat my goal by over 3K
    4. Record everything I eat and drink :)
    5. Do one other physical activity today :)
    6. Do some sewing for stress relief :| Didn't get my sewing done, but I did make some new friends on MFP :)

Thursday's goals:
    1. Drink 8 glasses of water
    2. Meet my calorie goal
    3. Meet my step goal
    4. Record everything I eat and drink
    5. Do one other physical activity today
    6. Do some sewing for stress relief

I was really pleased with how I did on Day 1. Let's see if I can keep up the momentum. I'm just taking it one day at a time. ;)
  • dph118
    dph118 Posts: 89 Member
    @Bex953172

Thanks for the support! Yes, it sounds like this is going to be an awesome group! :smile:
    If you just started carb counting, it does get easier as time goes on. I am just re-starting my low carb diet, so I am keeping my carbs below 20g/day. You will find over time that a high protein, low carb diet actually will naturally suppress your appetite. The first couple of weeks are hard though. :s

Let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck!
  • Bex953172
    Does that mean I can eat as many carbs as I want?

2. Carbs under 75g :) I did this just for you, @Bex953172 !

Under 75! Well you beat me by a mile!
    How do you feel?!
    Does that mean I just proved you could do it ;)

And no, it does not mean you can have as many as you want! :sweat_smile:
  • Bex953172
    dph118 wrote: »
    @Bex953172

Thanks for the support! Yes, it sounds like this is going to be an awesome group! :smile:
    If you just started carb counting, it does get easier as time goes on. I am just re-starting my low carb diet, so I am keeping my carbs below 20g/day. You will find over time that a high protein, low carb diet actually will naturally suppress your appetite. The first couple of weeks are hard though. :s

Let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck!

I have actually done it before, I used to work in the cafe of a gym, so managed to bag myself a free personal trainer!
    And he followed the paleo diet so I went with that

The only carbs I ate were from fruit and vegetables (which was easy because I worked in a cafe surrounded by various foods!)
    Now I have a family and it's so much harder (especially as the foods not free :sweat_smile:)

I got real slim though, I even lost the chubs off my hips which I have never done!
    And then I got with my OH, m got sacked, we've got two kids and now here I am :sweat_smile:
  • Bex953172
    @OConnell5483

:sweat_smile: I've just scrolled past the last 2 pages and realised I didn't post my goals either!

Let's just say, Wednesday went amazingly :wink:

Goals for Thursday
    - Be in the Green
    - Try to beat yesterday's carb and sugar intake
    - Drink plenty
    - Try some guided meditation
    - Get some exercise in

April Goals
    March Weight: 12st 6lb
    Current Weight: 12st 5lb
    Target Weight: 10st 7lb
    Lbs to lose this month: 4