Am I the only one that finds it difficult to eat more?

Replies

• southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Just watched first exercise in video - usually that direction of rotation causes more impingement then the other way around.
    May be true for some of the other forms.

Thanks for the warning. I too watched that video and thought I might try it. For right now, I'm focusing on stretching and resistance exercises. With my COPD, I get winded just bringing the groceries in from the car. So I try to find stuff where I can sit down and keep the resistance low.
    There is no way I can fix my lungs, but I can build up my supporting muscles to help get the air out.
    My oxygen levels are above 95% so getting it in and having it enter my blood stream does not seem to be the problem.
    I'm so impressed with your journey. And persistence.
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Ugg, how can one person feel so may emotions all at one time? It's a situation that I have no control over. Hell the person creating the situation has lost control over it. No wonder I'm crazy. :cry:
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    I hope whatever it is resolves itself soon. You have been doing so well and working so hard. ((Hugs))
  • scaryann1
    edited March 2017
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 1944
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) = 2729
    Average calories = 2273
    Last weeks Average = 1918

Weight - Starting weight 305 pounds / 298.8
    Calf- April 20.5 inches / Last week 18.25 inches/Today 18.5 inches
    Thigh- April 30 inches / Last week 25.5 inches/Today 25.5 inches
    Hips - April 58 inches /Last week 56 inches/Today 56 inches
    Abdomen - April 51 inches / Last week 43.25 inches/ Today 43 inches
    Waist - April 48 inches / Last week 45 inches/Today 44 inches
    Forearm - April 13 inches / Last week 11.5 inches/Today 11.5 inches

Interesting week to say the least. Stress factors have been through the roof, so I'm not going to complain at this weeks measurements. I managed to get in at least three days of lifting and two days of walking (shopping). I even managed a day of beading. Here's hoping things start to settle down now.
  • scaryann1
    I got to looking at some of my starting measurements and some of them are off a bit, so I'm going to fix them. :smile:

Weight - Starting weight-305 pounds August 2014
    Calf- April 2016-20.5 inches
    Thigh- April 2016-29.25 inches
    Hips - August 2013-59 inches
    Abdomen - June 2016-49.25 inches
    Waist - August, 2013-50.5 inches
    Forearm - April 2016-13 inches
  • scaryann1
    Calling mercy for the day! I can't keep my shoulder in place, it keeps falling out. :scream::cry:
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    scaryann1 wrote: »
    Calling mercy for the day! I can't keep my shoulder in place, it keeps falling out. :scream::cry:

Oh no! Hope it eases soon.
    Is there anything you can do that helps it?
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • scaryann1
    Nothing that I've found so far. :(
  • empressichel
    scaryann1 wrote: »
    Nothing that I've found so far. :(

:'(
  • scaryann1
    Average calories = 2094
    Last weeks Average = 2273

Weight - Starting weight-305 pounds August 2014/ Last week 298.8 / April 2nd 297.6
    Calf- April 2016-20.5 inches/ Last week 18.5 / Today 19 inches
    Thigh- April 2016-29.25 inches / Last week 25.5 / Today 25 inches
    Hips - August 2013-59 inches / Last week 56 / Today 56 inches
    Abdomen - June 2016-49.25 inches / Last week 43/ Today 43 inches
    Waist - August, 2013-50.5 inches / Last week 44 / Today 44.5
    Forearm - April 2016-13 inches / Last week 11.5 inches/Today 11.75 inches

Still can't keep my shoulder in. :disappointed:
    I can't wait till the weather decides to actually switch to warm and stay there. Not much going on. My shoulder is not letting me lift nor bead. I've been sitting on my bum on the loveseat staring at my computer to the point I'm tired of looking at it. Here's hoping this week goes better. Hope you all are having a better week than I am.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ugh on the shoulder.

Any leg lifting available while sitting there?
    Sure, just quad usage, but then when standing, you could do the hamstring by curling up the leg an equal number of times to keep balance.

Just a thought, I thought hip joints weren't great either.
  • scaryann1
    Sadly, I don't have any "good" joints. :cry: But that doesn't stop me from trying. :smile:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    keep doing what you can Mary Ann. You are doing awesome with what you can. inspiration all around:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Love your attitude! You just never give up! Total inspiration! <3
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • scaryann1
    Average calories = 2220
    Last weeks Average = 2094

Weight - Starting weight-305 pounds August 2014/ April 2nd 297.6
    Calf- April 2016-20.5 inches/ Last week 19 / Today 19 inches
    Thigh- April 2016-29.25 inches / Last week 25 / Today 25 inches
    Hips - August 2013-59 inches / Last week 56 / Today 56 inches
    Waist - August, 2013-50.5 inches / Last week 44.5 / Today 44.5
    Forearm - April 2016-13 inches / Last week 11.75 inches/Today 11.5 inches

I think I'm finally becoming more consistent with calories so I'm going to start working on macros this week.

Goals / Avg
    Carbs 60% / 47%
    Fat 30% / 42%
    Protein 10% / 11%

As some of you know I am in stage 3b kidney failure so I have to keep my protein intake abnormally low so my poorly functioning kidneys don't have to work so hard removing the waste from protein. I have worked very hard in the last year to keep my protein low and my kidneys have finally stabilized! With that in mind I don't want to mess that up by increasing my protein.

Starting this week I am going to be working on lowering fats and upping carbs. Wish me luck! :lol:

The shoulder is beginning to behave. I still put my arm in a sling whenever we ride in the Jeep or if we are going to be doing a lot of walking. When I forget to wear the sling, I tend to forget to keep those muscles in mind and I forget to keep them tightened to keep the shoulder in and suddenly I notice that it's hanging out again. :disappointed: Then the pain hits and it's a never ending cycle. Hoping to get back to lifting again soon, but it can wait.

I took a picture of my "bat wings" because I have noticed something when I am lifting and even when I'm not. As much as my "bat wings" gross me out, I'm going to post them because I want your opinion on this too.

Anyway, what I noticed is this, a few years ago I shut the Jeep door and felt something tear in my shoulder (the bad one). The doctor was sure I had torn a rotator cuff. She sent me to a sports medicine doctor whom claimed I hadn't done anything to that shoulder and I was just wasting his time. Anyway skip ahead to this year and I am watching my biceps while lifting my small weights. I have a nice bulge on the left side, but a dip on the right. Now that didn't look right to me so I started comparing my "bat wings" and I seem to have a bulge on the right bat wing and not one on the left. Now I'm wondering if I didn't tear the muscle clean off the bone and it's just kind of "hanging out" above my elbow. Would there still be pain after two, or was it three, years?

53gitz03b9sl.jpg

Ugg those arms are ugly. LOL Needless to say, I don't stand like that often. :grin:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Something close to that could have happened. The pain would stop eventually.

But likely not a complete tear, or you'd have nothing to pull the arm up.

You might use your hand to feel for that bicep with arm outstretched, and notice how it feels as you contract the muscle. Feel the good arm at several spots, then the bad arm.

Something still could have partially teared and is loose, since there are 2 muscles in there.

And since they do cross the shoulder, they do indeed add to the stability of the joint.

This description may help in feeling it during a curl in a couple of positions, to feel for each muscle.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/BicepsBrachii.html
  • Raynn1
    Im not sure much about the muscle being ripped off, but the key is if YOU feel something is wrong, then you make sure to get it checked. Go back to your doc, ask for an ultrasound as that can determine if there is a tear in there. Dont stop until you get the answers you want.

And awesome job on the kidney stabilization!!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • scaryann1
    I did finally bring it up to my doctor. She looked at it (never touched it) and said "it really doesn't matter as there is no treatment for it anyway." I just makes me wonder if that is part of the reason I have been having so many problems with it in the last couple of years. And it did happen to my Dad. It took five years of him complaining before they'd even image it. They finally did an MRI and his muscle and tendon were balled up by his elbow. He recently had a "reverse shoulder" replacement.
  • Raynn1
    They can't do anything about it???? Id find yourself a second opinion. Muscle Tears CAN be fixed. Either through therapy or through surgery. Sounds like this doctor does not have your best interests at heart
  • scaryann1
    Average calories = 2322
    Last weeks Average = 2220

Weight - Starting weight-305 pounds August 2014/ April 2nd 297.6
    Calf- April 2016-20.5 inches/ Last week 19 / Today 18.5 inches
    Thigh- April 2016-29.25 inches / Last week 25 / Today 25 inches
    Hips - August 2013-59 inches / Last week 56 / Today 55 inches
    Waist - August, 2013-50.5 inches / Last week 44.5 / Today 45
    Forearm - April 2016-13 inches / Last week 11.5 inches/Today 11.5 inches

I think I'm finally becoming more consistent with calories so I'm going to start working on macros this week.

Goals / Avg
    Carbs 60% / 52%
    Fat 30% / 36%
    Protein 10% / 12%

Shoulder is finally starting to calm down again. I didn't do any beading yesterday, so that may have helped. I did make a barrette that I kind of like with a matching pin. I still haven't taken a picture of the pin yet. LOL I am still working on a different way to attach it to the barrette as I'm not too fond of the tape.

cuxdndzpz4sx.jpg

And I forgot to say the the doctor also said that since I have "normal" range of motion in the shoulder, there was no treatment. But I have "lost" a lot of MY range of motion. :disappointed:

Have a great week!