Carbohydrates in wine

I just started working with a personal trainer who has established a lifting and nutrition plan for me. He came up with a macro based nutrition plan according to what I like to eat. I like to have a glass of red wine most days and he shows it as 40 grams of carbohydrates yet if I Google it I see that a 5 oz glass of cabarnet has 130 calories and 4 grams of carbs. His calculation is 4 calories per gram of carb so he backs into a glass of wine as 160 calories / 4 calories = 40 grams of carbs.

I am confused. Any macro experts out there have an explanation as to why I am seeing only 4 grams per glass when I search it?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Because the rest of the calories would be from the alcohol, which I believe is 7 calories per gram
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, he's counted the alcohol calories as carb calories. His calculation presumes that wine is pure carbs, which it is not.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    The macros here don't account for the alcohol (which is a separate macro). Your body has to burn the alcohol first because it's technically viewed as a poison and is absorbed straight into the blood rather than needing to be digested. For an accurate calorie count for your glass of wine you may want to go straight to the company that makes the wine for nutrition information
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Depends on if one counts alcohol as a carb or not, really. Science does not, however, some fitness gurus (Bad and good) consider as such in their meal plans.
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    Thank you all for your information. Probably the best thing to do would be to eliminate it - or cut back to a couple of glasses a week.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    I'm measuring about 4 oz/night of sauvignon blanc and still losing weight. Even with more on the weekends. If you can fit it into your day, you can still enjoy it.
  • coreyreichle
    Thank you all for your information. Probably the best thing to do would be to eliminate it - or cut back to a couple of glasses a week.

While that is most likely true, to to other deleterious effects on health, it's wholly unrequired for weight loss. If it fits your macros should be your guiding star.

First: Does it fit your caloric goal? If so? Cool. Now, does is fit your macro goals (Carb/Fat/Protein)? If it matches both, go have that glass of wine! Even if it's more than 2 in a week! You deserve this! If not, consider skipping it, and making choices next week/day to allow for it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The macros here don't account for the alcohol (which is a separate macro). Your body has to burn the alcohol first because it's technically viewed as a poison and is absorbed straight into the blood rather than needing to be digested. For an accurate calorie count for your glass of wine you may want to go straight to the company that makes the wine for nutrition information

This. It isn't "pure carbs" it's something else. And different research has suggested different things about how it's processed and what that means for weight loss.
  • fitand50inSD

While that is most likely true, to to other deleterious effects on health, it's wholly unrequired for weight loss. If it fits your macros should be your guiding star.

First: Does it fit your caloric goal? If so? Cool. Now, does is fit your macro goals (Carb/Fat/Protein)? If it matches both, go have that glass of wine! Even if it's more than 2 in a week! You deserve this! If not, consider skipping it, and making choices next week/day to allow for it.

Well it does fit into my macros and I am eating extremely healthy since I started following his plan. So I guess I will keep this one little pleasure.
  • coreyreichle

Well it does fit into my macros and I am eating extremely healthy since I started following his plan. So I guess I will keep this one little pleasure.

And, FWIW, I usually try to make sure 2 12 oz beers fit into my daily goals. Sometimes it works, sometimes, it doesn't :)

PS I love beer :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Are you losing??
  • fitand50inSD

Are you losing??

I started diligently tracking my food 12 days ago and started with the trainer's plan just this week. I have always eaten fairly healthy, but would grab more snacks than was necessary (chocolate, nuts, crackers, tortilla chips). I cut out all of the extra junk and am down 7 lbs which is partially water weight.

I have always exercised quite a bit so have historically been able to consume a lot of calories. I was just a little over the top of my happy weight zone and with my age figured I should probably get it down. So yes, I am drinking wine and losing weight. I just started the weight training program 2 days ago. Historically I have done lots of Pilates, fitness classes, and many miles of walking. The weight training (5 times a week) is something new that I am trying to get more defined muscles.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    This post makes me sad. Counting carbs in wine makes me want to cry.
  • tinyterroar
    tinyterroar Posts: 1 Member
    I'm actually meeting my macros with my little 5oz flight glass right now
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Are you losing??

I started diligently tracking my food 12 days ago and started with the trainer's plan just this week. I have always eaten fairly healthy, but would grab more snacks than was necessary (chocolate, nuts, crackers, tortilla chips). I cut out all of the extra junk and am down 7 lbs which is partially water weight.

I have always exercised quite a bit so have historically been able to consume a lot of calories. I was just a little over the top of my happy weight zone and with my age figured I should probably get it down. So yes, I am drinking wine and losing weight. I just started the weight training program 2 days ago. Historically I have done lots of Pilates, fitness classes, and many miles of walking. The weight training (5 times a week) is something new that I am trying to get more defined muscles.

7 pounds (partially water) in 12 days? I wouldn't worry about the wine. :) Congrats on your success.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

There is no evidence that a glass of red wine every day has deleterious effects on health