Eat just cold food??!!!

So I read that as a warm blooded animal, the single largest demand for our energy (calories) is used up by simply maintaining our body temperature. So since our bodies have to bring everything inside us up to 98.6 degrees, it occurs to me that it would burn a lot of calories if I just ate really cold foods. Beer and ice cream come to mind, so I think that is my plan for this weekend!! LOL LOL :p

Replies

• mcpcooper
    mcpcooper Posts: 1 Member
    thats my kind of diet! :p
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Theoretically, yes. But, when we talk Calories in food (or that we need to burn), we're talking about kilocalories - 1000 calories. It takes but a few calories to warm things up to our body temperature. As such, it's what we call "negligible."
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    You'll need to write your cold-diet book and self publish it quickly before someone beats you to it!

"The Dukan Diet" has this whole thing about taking cold showers, keeping a cold house, drinking cold water, etc in order to boost weight loss. Beer and ice cream sounds easier.

Boy that sounds miserable. I love steamy hot showers.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    You'll need to write your cold-diet book and self publish it quickly before someone beats you to it!

"The Dukan Diet" has this whole thing about taking cold showers, keeping a cold house, drinking cold water, etc in order to boost weight loss. Beer and ice cream sounds easier.

Boy that sounds miserable. I love steamy hot showers.

I never tried the diet -- I only read the book because I was curious. So many things about it sounded awful (it involved eating lots of wheat bran), but staying constantly cold sounded like one of the worst.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I'm jumping in my hot tub when I get home, but I'll have a cold drink to compensate...

and re: Dukan diet? I'm guessing that unless the author of this lifestyle/diet lives in a very hot climate (Saudi Arabia hot), they've off'd themselves by now.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I don't like beer - but if I can have a cold cocktail and ice cream I'm in.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I don't like beer - but if I can have a cold cocktail and ice cream I'm in.

Helping a girl out!

https://www.theflavorbender.com/hibiscus-strawberry-margarita-ice-cream-float/

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I'm jumping in my hot tub when I get home, but I'll have a cold drink to compensate...

and re: Dukan diet? I'm guessing that unless the author of this lifestyle/diet lives in a very hot climate (Saudi Arabia hot), they've off'd themselves by now.

He's from France and I don't think he has ever actually followed his diet. It's what he recommends for patients, but I got the impression he didn't do it at all.
  • annaskiski
    edited April 2017
    annaskiski wrote: »

He's from France and I don't think he has ever actually followed his diet. It's what he recommends for patients, but I got the impression he didn't do it at all.

Does he get a kickback from family if the patient does themselves in? 'Cause I can see this as a money-making scheme to convince wealthy family members that death is preferable to constant torture...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    That would get old. I drink a lot of ice water though!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Ugh, I GUESS I'll just have to eat that wedge of cheese.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Actually, we burn more calories lowering our temperature than we do bringing it up. It is very likely that you would burn fewer calories by eating cold food because it would take less effort to lower your temperature. To burn a significant number of calories from cold you would need to be cold enough that you are shivering.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    For what its worth, I'm cold all the time. I have a little heater under my desk. I use it every day. The only difference in the summer vs winter? In the winter I sometimes turn it on high. Maybe if I'd ditched the heater I'd have lost weight years earlier. Oh well!
  • annaskiski
    Actually, we burn more calories lowering our temperature than we do bringing it up. It is very likely that you would burn fewer calories by eating cold food because it would take less effort to lower your temperature. To burn a significant number of calories from cold you would need to be cold enough that you are shivering.

So the hot tub is a win!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    April 7th is National Beer Day. Cheers to a cold one!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    April 7th is National Beer Day. Cheers to a cold one!

Wait, really?

brb, verifying...

Holy crap, it is! It's on.