Runners who lift/lifters who run?

124»

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited March 2017
    I mostly row, but know I need to lift for injury prevention and improved performance. I've been doing just the obviously neglected muscles (pecs and push upper-body stuff), but will eventually get the rest of it sorted.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I think it's very hard to do both well, especially if you have a full-time job and other non-gym obligations.

I *was* a runner (half marathons) and it would have been hard to get my mileage in without doubling up on running/lifting days (and also I wouldn't get enough rest/recovery) so I would do more yoga for strength/stretching.

I had ACL surgery in May (damage was not caused by running) and I'm not supposed to run nearly as much as I was--my rehab/PT involves a lot more lifting (sometimes just calisthenics) nowadays. I still do yoga, and also am back in the pool/on the bike 2 days each a week (going to switch from half marathons to sprint triathlons this summer)--not sure how I can squeeze in more time for lifting.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I'm not much of a runner, but I'm a cyclist and Nordic skier, so I face the same conflict.

Like @heybales, I do my best to be a fit and well-rounded individual, but I prioritize what's important and enjoyable to me.

I lift more often "out of season" and slightly less in. I mostly focus on upper body work when I lift.
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    You will rarely need to outrun something - unless you and your friends are on an episode of COPS on either side of the law...
    The need need to move a couch or something is much more common.

But I can pay someone to move a couch for me. I guess I could pay someone to ride a Gran Fondo for me, too, but that's like paying someone else to eat your birthday cake.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    I do both! I run 3x/week and lift 3x/week--really love the feeling I get from both, so anytime I've considered narrowing it down to one, I decide it's not for me. I owe my success to this (and diet), so why change?!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    I do both as well, but running is my primary focus. I currentlt only lift 2x a week. I may try and squeeze in a 3rd day now that my week day mileage isn't too high, but once I start ramping up as I get closer to the next marathon, I won't have time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I try to do both... but tend to do a bit more lifting during the winter, and bit more running during the summer.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    If only the weather was any clement :\
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I try to do both... but tend to do a bit more lifting during the winter, and bit more running during the summer.

This is probably what I'm going to resign myself to. The lure of the outdoor run is too great to spend time on the bench, but wintertime is a time of many "skipped run days".
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    I like both the same as well. I ran a marathon last March and got a little burnt out on running for a while, but now that the weather is nice I'm getting out there more. I like having an option when the weather is bad (can't take the Southern heat and humidity either), or I am at home with the kids and leaving the house for a run isn't an option (I really don't like the treadmill too much). I don't really have the runner's body, and would rather be a little more muscular anyway. I'll admit I get a little competitive, and while I'll never win a race I like beating my PRs. Pretty sure I'm not outfitting many people, lol.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Martial arts 3x/week, StrongLifts 2x/week, run 1x/week.... That count? Still working on getting the fueling right for all of this though.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Martial arts 3x/week, StrongLifts 2x/week, run 1x/week.... That count? Still working on getting the fueling right for all of this though.

You run, and you lift? Program checks out for this :)
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I was a distance runner, then I started lifting and fell in love with lifting and the results I was never able to achieve with 15 years of running. So now I lift and run shorter distances 3-4 days/week.

Bonus--my average pace for those 15 years of running was 9:30-10 min/mile and I'd be winded. After a year of lifting I'll average 7:50-8:10 min/mile for a 3-4 mile run. When I was helping a friend train for a half I felt like the 9:30-10 pace (over 10 miles) was walking and I'd talk the whole time (and kick up my pace when she'd peel off for home).
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I mostly row, but know I need to lift for injury prevention and improved performance. I've been doing just the obviously neglected muscles (pecs and push upper-body stuff), but will eventually get the rest of it sorted.

I rowed in college and remembered feeling like death when forced to erg. Tried it again a few months ago and had to double check someone hadn't lowered the resistance to 1. Nope, just felt way easier. You won't regret a full body lifting program, I promise!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    I was a distance runner, then I started lifting and fell in love with lifting and the results I was never able to achieve with 15 years of running. So now I lift and run shorter distances 3-4 days/week.

Bonus--my average pace for those 15 years of running was 9:30-10 min/mile and I'd be winded. After a year of lifting I'll average 7:50-8:10 min/mile for a 3-4 mile run. When I was helping a friend train for a half I felt like the 9:30-10 pace (over 10 miles) was walking and I'd talk the whole time (and kick up my pace when she'd peel off for home).

I rowed in college and remembered feeling like death when forced to erg. Tried it again a few months ago and had to double check someone hadn't lowered the resistance to 1. Nope, just felt way easier. You won't regret a full body lifting program, I promise!

Yes! Love this. I run way faster now, with much, much less running practice. My body just works better since I've been lifting. And I never felt that great about my body when I was a runner, and now with ten more pounds of muscle, I can honestly say I love the way I look!

• adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Right now I am only running. I am going to start lifting. Not looking forward to it...
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Guys, take it from me. Full body lifting (squats, deadlifts, etc.) are of top importance if you're a runner. I severely ignored this aspect of running to a point of being banned from running by ortho and now having to go to PT for who knows how long due to suspected IT band problems...KEEP YOUR LEGS STRONG. As others have said, it will not only prevent injury but actually help your speed and endurance in the sport anyway.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    I have struggled with lifting and running for the better part of a year. I ran 6 miles a day 3 days a week, then on opposite days I lifted hard, and took one day off. I managed it OK for a few months then time away from my 4 kids and wife, plus school and work combined to make me feel to guilty. So I started running in the morning and lifting at night 3 days a week and one long run day. That too lasted for a little while and it got to me to much for my body I couldn't fuel and recover well enough. Then I decided to focus on weights for awhile and pretty much stopped running for 3 months. I did a bulk, lifted and got really bored with lifting. So now Im trying to stay well rounded. I run 3x a week and do body weight training or kettle bell training using an online program called Daily Burn. I also try to do mobility and yoga in the mornings before work.

I had two issues:1. I get really bored and lose motivation weight lifting because I have no real goals for it other then simply pick up more weight the following week. 2. I work full time, I go to school full time, and I have 4 children and a wife at home that want equal parts of my attention.

For me I like to train for races, I can focus on a goal with an end point. That keeps me motivated and running burns a crap ton of calories which is helping keep me back down at goal weight. By doing mobility exercise, body weight training, and running, I'm hoping to achieve good functional strength/athleticism and at 40 I want to maintain good cardiovascular health.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Jeepinshawn - I hear you. Only so much time in the day. So we all have to be smart about it.

I see positive feedback from running. RAce Bling! PRs! Social galore. Not so much from lifting, alas, but I am trying to do lifting (body pump) twice a week to avoid injury . At 58 I need to avoid injury. Too much of anything will send me to injury-vile
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Run, lift, and yoga.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    The weather is becoming better and better! Third outdoor run this morning!