Breathalyzer for Ketosis Check

Replies

• cheedo45
    cheedo45 Posts: 1 Member
    miamouse3 wrote: »
    For those who would rather buy it on Amazon I found the same one the op is using http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Breathalyzer-Blood-Alcohol-Tester/dp/B005K6HTTO/ I'm going to try it out once I run out of urine strips.
    Please post if it works for you! I don't fancy the idea of those pee strips/sticks. My partner is iffy about me going Keto as it is lol. If it is effective, it will save me money and weird looks from her lol. I am starting Keto tomorrow, just bought *most* of my first weeks stuff.

I bought the same one (but with prime), here is the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KL8XJEA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

just today i did a pee test and scored somewhere between 40 and 80, then i used the breathalyzer and got 0.02%. I will run further tests and try and make some type of correlation between the two, perhaps I will invest in the blood meter to compare more accurately. hope this helps!
  • I just bought the same one, the tiny Greenwon breathalyzer, from Amazon with Prime for just $9:

http://amzn.to/20KKIyk

I've been in moderate ketosis for about three weeks, and my urine ketones have gone down now from ~100 mg/dl to an almost undetectable ~10 as I've become increasingly keto-adapted. The breathalyzer measures a super consistent 0.02% (I got this reading three times in a row), and when I blow just air through it, it reads 0.00%. I haven't drunk any alcohol recently. So it seems to be working well for me and will hopefully become the main way I track my ketosis. Easier to use and much cheaper than the Ketonix or a blood meter.

Thanks for this thread!
  • Update: after many days of using the cheap Greenwon, I still like it, but I got a second identical one to compare, and it reads quite different from the first. The first reads 0.02-0.04% when my blood ketones are over 1mmol, but the second consistently reads 0.00% unless I drink a couple of glasses of wine, so it looks like they have some kind of offset issue and a lot of manufacturing variability.

So I bought this one instead: http://amzn.to/1S9XyjU

It's a bit more expensive but seems to be a newer design and is definitely more reliable. It has a slightly longer 15 second warm-up time compared to 10 seconds on the cheaper unit. It has three sig figs of BAC %, so you get more fine-grained numbers like 0.036% rather than just 0.04%. It reads very consistently if you use it several times in a row and reads 0.000% if you blow just air through it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Update: after many days of using the cheap Greenwon, I still like it, but I got a second identical one to compare, and it reads quite different from the first. The first reads 0.02-0.04% when my blood ketones are over 1mmol, but the second consistently reads 0.00% unless I drink a couple of glasses of wine, so it looks like they have some kind of offset issue and a lot of manufacturing variability.

So I bought this one instead: http://amzn.to/1S9XyjU

It's a bit more expensive but seems to be a newer design and is definitely more reliable. It has a slightly longer 15 second warm-up time compared to 10 seconds on the cheaper unit. It has three sig figs of BAC %, so you get more fine-grained numbers like 0.036% rather than just 0.04%. It reads very consistently if you use it several times in a row and reads 0.000% if you blow just air through it.

@FivePercentBodyFatByKeto while I use the $15 meters off eBay I get three different reads from the three meters of three different ages (time in use). The readings start to climb a bite after first 100 uses I found. @yarwell above covers the breakdown of the three type of ketones best that I have ever read in one place. As his info shows detecting acetone levels basically shows if we are in or out of ketose. I must my Precision Xtra if I want to know medically what my main blood ketones are.

With the $15 meter I currently use a few times a day a reading of .050-.080 means strong blood ketone levels. I rock between .035 and .070 for the most part on the blow meter. It has the 15 second warm up timer then it counts down from 10. I tend to blow the last 4 seconds on the timer so the info from blow to blow is more consistent.

• sbsatori
    sbsatori Posts: 2 Member
    Just started trying to get into keytosis and hadn't limited the carbs enough - was getting 0.0 on the cheap key-chain breathalyzer I happened to have - thought it didn't work - tried a bit harder yesterday to stick to the plan and today it reads between .04-.05%. Wow... it works. However I went ahead and ordered the blood tester and ~10 keytone test strips so I can get an idea of how the breathalyzer correlates for my body. Should be interesting. I'll post back when I have more info.
  • sbsatori
    sbsatori Posts: 2 Member
    posting back after more tests - cheap breathalyzer went up over time to ~ .09 but while I was still trying to stick to the diet plan it started going down. Wasn't sure if it was something I ate or what - today it read 0.0. I tried the Abbott blood/ketone tester and it reads 2.5 mmol - a very solid nutritional ketosis reading. I think the breathalyzer is working as it still notices when I drink alcohol. Wondering if this is somehow analogous to ketone testing in urine - that goes down as you adapt to the dietary changes. Not sure what this means other than I can't trust my breathalyzer for ongoing testing - which is disappointing as those ketone test strips are too expensive. Hoping for a better solution... but happy I got a good reading. :)
  • ecweissinger
    ecweissinger Posts: 1 Member
    After reading this post I wanted to add a few thoughts that may assist other readers in purchasing a good breathalyzer and keeping the readings accurate. I regularly use and calibrate breathalyzers at work. Lack of calibration may be one of the issues you are running into when comparing readings from various breathalyzers. Especially using older breathalyzers, or breathalyzers that don't see regular use (lack of use increases the chance the breathalyzer will go out of calibration). We verify the calibration of our breathalyzers monthly and calibrate as necessary. Even the expensive ones that we use do go out of calibration from time to time. With that said, I was not able to locate a calibration process or calibration substance for some of the breathalyzers mentioned in previous posts. I, like others, am trying to find the most frugal method of testing, but I am willing to pay a bit more for accuracy. BACtrack recommends calibrating non-pro breathalyzers, like the keychain breathalyzer, every 6 months. The calibration for the keychain breathalyzer cost $19.99 or $40.00 per year, which nearly doubles the initial cost. The BACtrack mobile cost $99.99 and is considered a pro breathalyzer which requires calibration once a year, at a cost of $24.99. BACtrack's calibration test require you to send your breathalyzer back to the manufacturer, meaning you will be without it for the time it takes to send out, calibrate and return. We calibrate the devices at work ourselves using a calibration gas, greatly reducing down time compared to shipping out for calibration. While still less expensive than the blood meters for frequent testing, calibration is a hidden cost that should be considered if you expect your breathalyzer readings to stay accurate.

Just to clarify before the question comes up, I do not work for any company that produces or sells breathalyzers. Also, I do not use BACtrack at work. I mentioned BACtrack because it was the first breathalyzer I found that was both sold on Amazon and has a calibration method.
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Just keep Carbs under 30 grams. 20 if you want to be sure.
  • shrenlee
    shrenlee Posts: 6 Member
    I was going to experiment with the breathalyzers but found this deal. Its a Nova ketone meter with two boxes(20) of ketone strips for less than $40. https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/free-meter-w-purchase-of-2-boxes-of-ketone-strips.html if anyone is interested :)
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    :) Thanks for the headsup on ketosticks/breath testers.
  • RaquelDeLaSol
    RaquelDeLaSol Posts: 1 Member
    @shrenlee thanks great deal in blood test!
  • srinath_69
    srinath_69 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all, thanks for this great post. My first post here.
    $9.95 breathalyzer from amazon. I have been in keto and doing intermittent fasting for a month+. I never read anything other than 0 on it till today. Also couldn't test it, cos I didn't drink either. But sunday I ate a big meal, with 2 beers, for a total of 38.5 gm carb (I'm actually transitioning to Long term Intermittent fasting to get the stubborn last 30 having lost 60 so far via Atkins 20 and 24 hour fasts) and I was feeling a weird lethargic couple days. Then today I tasted bitter metal. My next meal is Monday the 31st (8 day fast) so I haven't eaten since sunday night, so a bitter metallic taste = I am getting into keto I thought. And I blow a .07% BAC and an immediate keto-stix test and I am @ 80 (after drinking almost 6qt water through the day).
    Thanks so much for this info, but I may be registering too few to trip it past the stage where I am entering ketosis. Has anyone else had that happen.
    Thanks.
    Srinath.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    srinath_69 wrote: »
    Hello all, thanks for this great post. My first post here.
    $9.95 breathalyzer from amazon. I have been in keto and doing intermittent fasting for a month+. I never read anything other than 0 on it till today. Also couldn't test it, cos I didn't drink either. But sunday I ate a big meal, with 2 beers, for a total of 38.5 gm carb (I'm actually transitioning to Long term Intermittent fasting to get the stubborn last 30 having lost 60 so far via Atkins 20 and 24 hour fasts) and I was feeling a weird lethargic couple days. Then today I tasted bitter metal. My next meal is Monday the 31st (8 day fast) so I haven't eaten since sunday night, so a bitter metallic taste = I am getting into keto I thought. And I blow a .07% BAC and an immediate keto-stix test and I am @ 80 (after drinking almost 6qt water through the day).
    Thanks so much for this info, but I may be registering too few to trip it past the stage where I am entering ketosis. Has anyone else had that happen.
    Thanks.
    Srinath.

Even with blood ketone strips, levels tend to move around quite a bit from day to day.... so don't be discouraged!
  • JohnFleuchaus
    JohnFleuchaus Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    shrenlee wrote: »
    I was going to experiment with the breathalyzers but found this deal. Its a Nova ketone meter with two boxes(20) of ketone strips for less than $40. https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/free-meter-w-purchase-of-2-boxes-of-ketone-strips.html if anyone is interested :)

That is a phenomenal find! The only one that I was able to find (and now regrettably have already purchased along with 20 additional strips) was the Abbot Labs device which cost me dearly. :'( So, I've now bookmarked this Nova Max Plus free meter deal and will get that once I run out of strips and cut my losses going forward. The strips at Nova Max are also only $19.99 a box of 10 too, so refilling strips will be inexpensive too. Added bonus is that they provide a 2 year expiration from the date of manufacture and 180 days from the date of opening (best I've seen to date).

Thank you so much. That being said, I've seen a recommendation to search eBay for blood ketone test strips and the ability to get costs as low as $1.00 per strip, but only when buying in bulk. I'm going to test that recommendation and get back to you if I find out that it's true.

EDIT: So, it seems that that claim is partially true. For those of you who, like me, are stuck with the expensive strips from Abbott's Freestyle Plus meter, there is a way to buy 100 strips for $1.50 each on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Abbott-FreeStyle-Optium-Blood-s-Ketone-Test-Strips-10-x-10-Pack-/252710399427?hash=item3ad6b6adc3:g:ZMUAAOSw5cNYMTkQ

Abbott also sells another meter called the Precision Xtra that uses even more expensive strips, but I've found a link on eBay for a quantity of 60 strips for $1.88 a piece (still pretty expensive, but much more affordable than the pricing on Amazon):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-FreeStyle-Blood-Ketone-test-strips-for-use-w-Abbott-PRECISION-XTRA-METER-/322304362081?hash=item4b0ad64661:g:CZoAAOSwx2dYDbkG

BEST PRICING for those who are just starting out using the Blood Ketone Testing using the Nova Max Plus at the quoted link above, I've found an eBay link to test strips for this meter in bulk that cost ONLY $1.14 for each strip ... Nova Max Plus Blood Ketone Test Strips Box of 10 - 18 Pack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nova-Max-Plus-Blood-Ketone-Test-Strips-Box-of-10-18-Pack-/201715928864?hash=item2ef734cf20:g:e14AAOSwA3dYJlMI
  • RalfLott

That is a phenomenal find! The only one that I was able to find (and now regrettably have already purchased along with 20 additional strips) was the Abbot Labs device which cost me dearly. :'( So, I've now bookmarked this Nova Max Plus free meter deal and will get that once I run out of strips and cut my losses going forward. The strips at Nova Max are also only $19.99 a box of 10 too, so refilling strips will be inexpensive too. Added bonus is that they provide a 2 year expiration from the date of manufacture and 180 days from the date of opening (best I've seen to date).

Thank you so much. That being said, I've seen a recommendation to search eBay for blood ketone test strips and the ability to get costs as low as $1.00 per strip, but only when buying in bulk. I'm going to test that recommendation and get back to you if I find out that it's true.

Keep us posted!
  • JohnFleuchaus
    JohnFleuchaus Posts: 3 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »

Keep us posted!

I just did, Please see my EDIT above.
  • RalfLott
    Wow.
  • suriyanr
    suriyanr Posts: 1 Member
    For novacare, apply coupon code Take5 for $5 off as well: $35!
  • RalfLott
    I recently discovered this company, which will work with your US insurance, Medicare, Medicard if you have a doctor's statement of need for blood ketone and/or blood glucose testing.
    They send forms to your doctor to complete, then contact your insurer directly.

Liberty Medical
    https://libertymedical.com/products/diabetes/

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,751 Member
    Bump, for all the great info in here.