Pondering joint aches post lifting /running

I have achy knees today - not a new thing and possibly more so after lifting days, especially after a lower body day (and yes I have good form, always am careful of that) But also notice them after tred mill runs too.

I sometimes wonder if my longstanding fitness routine is taking its toll on my joints. I even cut back on runs because of my knees and do almost half the daily steps now compared to 6 months ago - went from 21k+ steps a day to around 12k....

The other day a lady at church who was very into Zumba and Spinning tells me that they are the reason she lost cartilage in her knees and has arthritis in her back! And she warned me to be careful! Scary stuff thinking we could bring on our own ailments because of our fitness efforts!

Are we damned if we do, damned if we don't?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Thanks for your reply - supports might be a good idea.

It could be related to my hips, I have always had issues with them (born with a dislocated hip, corrected by surgery)

I run 5 days a week for 30-50 mins
    Lift 3 times a week.

I might have to google stabilising exercises to see what you mean.
  • LivingtheLeanDream

Ok so this link was helpful
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=10_core_stabilizing_exercises

But I also forgot I did plank lifts today and those are inclined to be sore on me. So perhaps I was blaming the squats /lunges in the wrong.

I had a three week break from lifting because I hurt my lower back (not through exercise).
  • NewyRob
    NewyRob Posts: 22 Member
    I can't comment on the lifting but have run most of my life. Barring medical issues, my reading is that running with good form isn't bad for joints. Our bodies are built for running and walking.

Pain and soreness can be a part of it because every run is different.

Things have improved a lot for me by core-strengthening work and by strength and flexibility training for my feet, ankles and calves.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Do you stretch? I have noticed that when my knees or hips or anything start to ache from running it means I need to spend a little extra time stretching. I do my best to stretch for 30 minutes 3x a week. It's a lot, but I am completely pain free. That is a heck of an accomplishment for me considering I previously went to a chiropractor 2x a week for my "bad back." He didn't do much for a long term solution, but since i started stretching (yoga and ballet stretches) I have no problems.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It may be that there is a mismatch between your physical abilities and the demands of the routine you are following. Ramping up a program can expose some inherent physical flaws or muscle imbalances that you may have tolerated well in the past. I'm not going to try to identify specific issues online, but doing some work on your glutes and deep hip rotators would not hurt and might have some overall benefit even if there is another cause to your knee pain.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It is well known medically that running and other high impact activities can damage the joints. You could consider running 3x week and see how that goes.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    I would say try supports and take fatty acid supplements like krill/fish oils and CLAs because I know they promote heart health but my nutritionist told me they help with "lubricanting" joints too. But always do your research before taking any new supplements!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Cycling is actually supposed to be easier on the joints than other exercise. The problem with some of the things you hear at church is that the people who say them don't always know what they are talking about. I had a guy at church tell me he got arthritis early because he popped his fingers as a kid. I've since read a medical article that says that doesn't cause arthritis.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2017
    Are we damned if we do, damned if we don't?

it's hard to know, isn't it? because you don't know what kind of shape you'd be in if you weren't doing stuff.

i prefer not to listen to other people too much. or at least, i try to keep a filter going so i can catch all the people who only sound like they're talking about you. much of the time someone is only saying you should[n't] do something or other because that's their lead-in to telling you something or other about their own self.

they want to tell their own stories, basically. trying to boss you around is just a kind of social camouflage.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It is well known medically that running and other high impact activities can damage the joints.

Equally research indicates that high impact load bearing exercise can improve joints and connective tissue.

Research > received wisdom
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I used to get sore knees when I started running, I take cod liver oil and glucosamine and make sure I stretch really thoroughly afterwards.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I ran out of cod liver oil a few months back and thought I'd try and forego them - possibly that was a bad idea.

I'm not one for stretching! Maybe I need to do some.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Ruth
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I swear buy yoga for runners.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It is well known medically that running and other high impact activities can damage the joints. You could consider running 3x week and see how that goes.

Is it?

I've always read the opposite.