I'm going Fitbit-less!

LivingtheLeanDream
LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Trackers are soo popular, almost everyone has one these days.

I have to admit, I was hooked, I've had a Fitbit since 2013 and hit my steps goal every single day (proud of that actually :smiley:) ..well there might have been two or three days out of the past four years than I 'only' reached 7000 steps when I normally aimed for 14k.

Anyhoo... my Fitbit One is no longer syncing and I'm thinking do I replace it or just forget about it.

My hubby lost his Charge recently (useless straps on the Charge, that was his second one) and he feels liberated to not be ruled by a gadget, he feels I would think the same - and he might be right! (he likes to think he is right all the time LOL)

I've maintained my goal weight for 4 years now, I'm active in general but how much of that was driven by my tracker/competitive streak to be high up on the leaderboard...

Anyway, I'm just getting some thoughts off my chest.

For now I am going to go Fitbit-less. Maybe I will enjoy the freedom of not having to think in steps all the time :smile:

I welcome the freedom of not being ruled by a tracker.

Ruth

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I have been "fit bit less" for a little over a month now. I do have a Gear s2 classic now, but it's calorie burn is so low that I can't sync it with MFP to adjust my calories up/down. I'm trying TDEE now. Still keeping an eye on steps, but only enough to make sure I'm not reverting back to 3k or less a day. Some days I do feel a bit nervous about it, because I had also used it since 2013. I didn't realize how much I relied on it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Thanks for your reply @shadow2soul, yeah I relied on mine too... it'll be a new learning curve for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i have quite a few pals who are tracker crazy... i've worn my Garmin (which has a step counter) a couple of times and i can see how hitting/beating your step target could get addictive but its never really bothered me. on a general day i get roughly 6000 steps outside of exercise, and i work out 5 x a week so i don't think i'm inactive.

good luck!
  • brittnichol
    brittnichol Posts: 42 Member
    I relied on my fitbit everyday for 2 ish years I haven't touched mine in a year and so glad I stopped using it. Ive noticed a lot of people worry too much to get ther 10,000 steps but food intake was on the back burner. I remember feeling like I had to get my steps in. Id workout like 30 day shred or something and see I didnt get very many steps so then Id go walking on top of that. Everyones different. But Im so happy I dont use it anymore.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2017
    Congrats! You will love it!

I turned off all of my tracking apps last summer...it was liberating. I could stop and talk to a friend. Sit on a bench and enjoy a view. Grab a snack. Etc.

Still did the same workout - it just took a little longer with the breaks.

I turn on the apps about once per month to keep me honest now.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    I don't really care about hitting the steps, as I have a very active job and hit 15k most days without trying...I like using it to track my cardio workouts though.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    I'm not fond of gadgets. I won a Fitbit Blaze in a contest and gave it to my daughter to mess with. I found it to be more of an inconvenience and not too accurate.

Other than running what I do is not step based so I don't find it applicable to use in my situation. I use my phone for my runs and for me and what I'm seeking, it's good enough for the distance and time element.

Also, I think sometimes people may get so caught up in the step counts and they lose sight of the larger picture just to get the step totals in for the day/week/challenge, etc.... Almost like the tail wagging the dog.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Loving all the feedback and differing opinions everyone :smile:

Watch this space and I'll update it in a few weeks.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I stopped wearing my fitbit last September. I am not a big "step" person. I go to the gym about 5 times a week, and eat healthy about 85%. It is liberating, because I never met the steps (desk job), other than when I mowed my grass. And it didn't motivate me to get up and leisurely walk.

I know the trackers do help others and motivate them, everyone's different. (for me it didn't)
  • dramaman69
    dramaman69 Posts: 3 Member
    I had a Jawbone UP that quit after about 9 months. I switched to using a stop watch to time 60 minutes of combined walking a day. I promised myself that if I did this for a month, I'd let myself buy a Fitbit. After a month was over, I decided I really didn't need a Fitbit and have been doing my 60 minutes of daily walking for over a year now.
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I've been wearing it for almost 2 years now. I wear it only because it's the easiest way to track activity needed for the insurance discount from my company. I HATE WEARING IT and I wish I didn't have to. It's annoying to say the least.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    I just recently bought my Fitbit Charge off of my niece. I was a little leery about what it had to offer as I already had (and still use) an old-school pedometer that I am quite happy with. So now I compare the numbers off of the two gadgets and I do like having a gadget to draw my attention to my activity; it is not unusual for me to do some additional pacing through the house to get those last few/few hundred steps in to hit the next level. One thing that I find quite fascinating is the sleep tracker function. I find it motivates me to follow better sleep habits.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    I wish I could go Fitbit Less I have a heart condition and I am constantly worried about my heart rate I have worn my fitbit everyday for over a year and somedays its really annoying don't get me wrong I love it but now I am thinking about the future and my heart rate and anxiety and will I ever be able to not wear my fitbit
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @kksmom1789 what did people do before trackers were invented if they had a heart condition :/ I take it it's the HR function that keeps you right? Maybe in your case you're very glad to have it help you. I'm all for gadgets when they help people :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm sorry you felt ruled by a gadget for so many years. That must feel awful. For me, it's a useful tool that helps me meet my goals. I feel very positive about it.
    You mentioned that the fitbit has been key to maintaining your weight. I encourage you have a plan to monitor your progress and take specific action when needed.

Thanks @lorrpb I always monitor my weight regularly anyway so I'll know the score if it looks like my weight is trending upwards. I feel some relief that I've made the decision to forego wearing it. I no longer log food which I found liberating and this last crutch would let me see that I can go it alone solely and maintain. I'm active by nature anyway so it'll be good to focus on other non step related exercise :smile:
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Thanks @lorrpb I always monitor my weight regularly anyway so I'll know the score if it looks like my weight is trending upwards. I feel some relief that I've made the decision to forego wearing it. I no longer log food which I found liberating and this last crutch would let me see that I can go it alone solely and maintain. I'm active by nature anyway so it'll be good to focus on other non step related exercise :smile:

Interesting.. I no longer log food either. Haven't in over a year actually.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    fitin50s2 wrote: »
    I'm not fond of gadgets. I won a Fitbit Blaze in a contest and gave it to my daughter to mess with. I found it to be more of an inconvenience and not too accurate.

Other than running what I do is not step based so I don't find it applicable to use in my situation. I use my phone for my runs and for me and what I'm seeking, it's good enough for the distance and time element.

Also, I think sometimes people may get so caught up in the step counts and they lose sight of the larger picture just to get the step totals in for the day/week/challenge, etc.... Almost like the tail wagging the dog.

That's always what I've basically thought...

That said, I do kinda want a Samsung Gear S3...but mostly for the other smart watch capabilities.