2200 calories?

I'm currently trying to maintain my weight. I'm an 18 yr old female, 5'1 and 100 lbs. I eat about 2200 calories a day which is way more than MFP says I need. I tried eating the amount mfp said I needed (about 1700 w exercise) but I would end up feeling really tired. I run xc for my high school (~35 mpw) and I was lifting weights but I recently got a job and have no time. I'm satisfied with the amount I'm eating, but I also feel like it might be too much because I see very few people eating this amount and it is way over mfp's recommended amount. At the end of the night, I still find myself wanting more food. I know nobody here can tell me if 2200 cals/day is the "right" amount for me, but I guess I'm wondering if this is a normal amount of calories for someone my age and activity level. Thanks!

Replies

• 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    I'm no expert but everyone burns differently. So many variables from one person to the next. Don't take MFP data as Gospel. Do track your calories and tweak your macros. Maybe more fats will help with how you feel? Maybe not. Maybe you need more then 2200 a day? Maybe not. You are the best judge of finding a balance of how you feel, what the scale is saying and how you are performing in your sport. Unfortunately finding the right balance may take some time. Good luck.
  • noorandjenna1
    noorandjenna1 Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2017
    You're young and very active. If that calorie amount works for you, that's great!
    I am also 18, even when sedentary I'm hungry quite often, especially at night, just like you.
    MyFitnessPal's calculation is just an estimation, you can adjust from there with what suits for you.
    Many people find the amount that it gives them is a bit low.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    I'm no expert but everyone burns differently. So many variables from one person to the next. Don't take MFP data as Gospel. Do track your calories and tweak your macros. Maybe more fats will help with how you feel? Maybe not. Maybe you need more then 2200 a day? Maybe not. You are the best judge of finding a balance of how you feel, what the scale is saying and how you are performing in your sport. Unfortunately finding the right balance may take some time. Good luck.

This sums up my opinion. To the original poster my only question to you is are you gaining weight or are you losing weight if your weight is the same give or take a couple pounds either way then 2200 calories is the right amount for you.

I know for myself mfp tells me to eat approximately 2400 calories a day. I've probably been eating anywhere from 2 to 400 calories more than that per day and I've been maintaining my weight consistently for the past eight months. I also work out 45 days a week with lifting and Cardio.

As the original poster said mfp is just a general guideline part of the process is you have to educate yourself how your body is actually working
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    At 2100 are you losing/maintaining/gaining? It sounds like you are active

Also remember MFP recommendations don't factor in purposeful exercise - so you should eat back at least a portion of those calories

Or if you have a fairly set training/workout program - try a TDEE calculator which factors workouts into your daily calories

Personally I take in 2200-2400 a day - which is just below maintenance
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm guessing that MFP might be saying you should have 1700 PLUS your exercise calories. For someone small like you, that sounds about right. But it also sounds like you are very active. Your cross country alone is probably 3000-4000 calories per week. Bottom line--I wouldn't stress over this. You are obviously fit, so be smart about it but eat what you feel like is serving your goals well. The numbers on the scale and the numbers on the calculator are not going to always align, especially with someone who is already fit and active.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If you can maintain on that, have at it and consider yourself lucky.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sounds about right. I am older, taller, and heavier, but also female. I maintain around 2200, and workout a bit less then you. (6hrs or so a week, 50/50 lifting to cardio) MFP errors on the side of underestimating TDEE so that you don't gain weight when following it's calorie recommendations.

If you eat 2200 and maintain then there ya go, it is really a trial and error though.
  • Zoe8642
    Zoe8642 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I actually hadn't weighed myself in a while and ended up weighing myself today. Ends up I lost a few pounds, but it could have just been fluctuation. Either way, I think I will up my calories a bit because I've been feeling hungry at night.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I don't think MFP factors in your age with required calories. As a teenager you haven't finished developing yet. This requires a higher daily calorie amount than an adult. Because of this 2200 doesn't seem low at all but it would if you were much older.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    MFP does factor in age.

@Zoe8642 Your daily activity calories that MFP gives you sounds about right for your stats. Add to that your exercise and I can see 2200 may not be too far out.

Up your calories and monitor until you find your personal maintenance.

Cheers, h.