Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    @lemurcat12 Reading over your post, I recognize my own bias and lack of knowledge of different restaurants. I am not sure where you live, but near me, there dozens fast food restaurants, buffets, and chains, not interesting restaurants like the Ethiopian near you. I don't have a lot of experience with those restaurants, only the Americanized restaurants full of big portions, sugar sweetened beverages, lots of simple carbohydrates and fat, few if any vegetables.

I had an ex-boyfriend who was very overweight and ate out nearly every meal. Half a pizza followed by a pint of ice cream, 2 king size candy bars polished off with scoops of peanut butter. Many of my patients frequently eat out as well and often get the 32+ oz pop, entree, side and dessert. The state I live in is consistently ranked as one of the most unhealthy in the entire United States based on obesity, smoking, and infant mortality. When I made the blanket statement that eating at home is better, this was my perspective based on the environment I live in. I should have considered that not everyone is eating that way and it possible to eat out and eat healthy. Unfortunately where I live, that is extremely difficult and few people choose to do so.
  • ugofatcat
    Also if he is handling ready to eat food he needs to be wearing gloves. That is food safety 101 and would be considered a tag if the health inspector saw that.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Also if he is handling ready to eat food he needs to be wearing gloves. That is food safety 101 and would be considered a tag if the health inspector saw that.

Not necessarily. Seems to vary by location: http://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/261298/13/756/d

And gloves come with their own problems: http://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/230002/Gloves-and-Hand-Hygiene-for-Food-Safety

However, the two states that came up first when I Googled (NY and FL) have both legislated that while gloves are not required by food handlers, they are also not permitted to touch the food with their bare hands. (So, if not using gloves, they must use tongs, other utensils, waxed paper, etc.—which the chef in that image clearly is not. Then again, we don't know whether he's in a locale where he would have to.)

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member

Not necessarily. Seems to vary by location: http://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/261298/13/756/d

And gloves come with their own problems: http://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/230002/Gloves-and-Hand-Hygiene-for-Food-Safety

However, the two states that came up first when I Googled (NY and FL) have both legislated that while gloves are not required by food handlers, they are also not permitted to touch the food with their bare hands. (So, if not using gloves, they must use tongs, other utensils, waxed paper, etc.—which the chef in that image clearly is not. Then again, we don't know whether he's in a locale where he would have to.)

I'm not sold on the wearing gloves because I've seen people's practices with them on: touch everything else but the food, and then go right back to the food because gloves. Handle money with gloved hand, and then touch the food. The glove box being dirty, dirty hands reaching into the glove box to get a pair of gloves out, putting gloves on dirty hands as if that makes them automatically clean.

I tend to assume that the food will be dirtier if it's been in one of those kitchens where gloves are required.
  • ugofatcat

Yes, you are right, I forgot about the tongs and forks. Basically you can't touch ready to eat food with your bare hands. If you wear gloves then touch something else you have to change the gloves. But I digress and safe food practices are beyond the scope of the original post. If anyone wants to continue to discuss this, let's make a new thread.

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    @lemurcat12 Reading over your post, I recognize my own bias and lack of knowledge of different restaurants. I am not sure where you live, but near me, there dozens fast food restaurants, buffets, and chains, not interesting restaurants like the Ethiopian near you. I don't have a lot of experience with those restaurants, only the Americanized restaurants full of big portions, sugar sweetened beverages, lots of simple carbohydrates and fat, few if any vegetables.

I had an ex-boyfriend who was very overweight and ate out nearly every meal. Half a pizza followed by a pint of ice cream, 2 king size candy bars polished off with scoops of peanut butter. Many of my patients frequently eat out as well and often get the 32+ oz pop, entree, side and dessert. The state I live in is consistently ranked as one of the most unhealthy in the entire United States based on obesity, smoking, and infant mortality. When I made the blanket statement that eating at home is better, this was my perspective based on the environment I live in. I should have considered that not everyone is eating that way and it possible to eat out and eat healthy. Unfortunately where I live, that is extremely difficult and few people choose to do so.

certainly (my restaurant lunch, today):
    t1tut3qr836x.jpg
    Of course it is also a matter of accessibility, but I think that those who (choose to) eat unhealthy at restaurants also eat unhealthy at home.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

t1tut3qr836x.jpg
    Of course it is also a matter of accessibility, but I think that those who (choose to) eat unhealthy at restaurants also eat unhealthy at home.

I can't tell what that is...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

t1tut3qr836x.jpg

You had me at carafe of wine
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

t1tut3qr836x.jpg

2 grilled, fresh, whole calamari (squids), served with EVOO and half lemon to squeeze, side salad, red wine :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

t1tut3qr836x.jpg

2 grilled, fresh, whole calamari (squids), served with EVOO and half lemon to squeeze, side salad, red wine :smile:

Ah. I see the shape now. Thank you. Yummy. I always enjoyed squid.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Posting this, because it's relevant: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2015/10/why-do-girls-reach-puberty-younger-than.html

It's Dr. Stephan Guyenet having a look at some studies that seek to answer the question of "why do girls seem to have boobies younger now?"

Spoiler alert: it's not "hormones in chicken". It's because kids are eating too damned much and getting fatter, younger. Specifically, high levels of leptin trigger earlier onset of puberty.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Posting this, because it's relevant: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2015/10/why-do-girls-reach-puberty-younger-than.html

It's Dr. Stephan Guyenet having a look at some studies that seek to answer the question of "why do girls seem to have boobies younger now?"

Spoiler alert: it's not "hormones in chicken". It's because kids are eating too damned much and getting fatter, younger. Specifically, high levels of leptin trigger earlier onset of puberty.

How people can believe that the real problem today is that kids are getting anorexia too much is beyond me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited April 2017

How people can believe that the real problem today is that kids are getting anorexia too much is beyond me.

But but, muh bodypositivityshamingzomgeatingdisorder.

Seriously, I will never understand this ridiculous, overly cautious approach to everything that people seem to catch feels over. It's clearly not helping.
  • rArmantas
    rArmantas Posts: 44 Member
    I am just wondering what are those kid's getting at the school canteen.. Because it seems this issue is being solved from a wrong side. 'It is okay' for 10 year old to have an unhealthy meal at school or after because it is faster, it cost less and you don't have to be worried about what 'we will cook today' because there is always a place not so far away where you can get junk food.
    I mean people.. what happened to traditional cooking? Home made food such as soups (not from a freaking can of course) which you got on discount or meals with high nutrients?
    Kid's especially at that age should be kept away from fast food restaurants. But then again 'there will be this one guy talking about people right's..

All the education about eating habits should start at home. But instead of this majority of parents just rather give their children newest smartphone or tablet and daily or weekly ride to the fast food restaurant, because then there is no headache to what to cook. Everyone is full and 'happy'.
    But then one day when it is far to late they start looking for a solution how to solve it. Once more the same story over and over again.
    Why suddenly when someone starts to talk about healthier living they are seen as a bad guys? Why no one talks about the rubbish their kids are eating at schools?
    Simply people love to complain about everything, but when it comes to doing something there are no volunteers, because you have to put more effort in it.
    If you still think that we are living in a healthy world, society, just look around - I mean you know at least 10 or more people with obesity problem in your neighbourhood- work, school, friends circle. It is all because of GOOD Life. Sure lots of you have your own opinion but I just shared mine. Some of you might agree with me the others won't and it's normal. Because we can always find someone to blame when things are not right. Just wait and see, in 5-10 years if we will keep up with the lifestyles we have now the numbers of obesed people will be 10 times bigger than it is now.
    But yeah who cares about that, right?
    As long as it is not your garden burning, it is not your problem. That's the mentality of our MODERN society.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member

Well, seeing as I've been called "anorexic looking", and weigh in at a 24.4 BMI, well, it's not hard to figure out why. Perceptions are skewed, since obesity and overweight are now "normalized" in many industrialized nations.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Seriously, I will never understand this ridiculous, overly cautious approach to everything that people seem to catch feels over. It's clearly not helping.

We have raised at least one generation of crybabies, as I've found it's the rare millennial who can handle anything that doesn't coddle their feefees, and are setting out to screw up the next generation even more.

The Band-Aid(tm) needs to be ripped off and people need to be told that their seven year-old son does not have boobs because there's rBST in the cows, or soy lecithin in the ice cream. It's because they've been feeding him too much ice cream.

A baby sucking on a bottle of Coca-Cola isn't cute, it's a future diabetes patient. French fries are not a magic stop crying pill, it's setting the stage for a heart attack at 40. Kids can in fact play for hours without needing snacks, and they sure as hell don't need to gulp down Gatorade at a tee-ball game. Feeding kids into metabolic disease is child abuse every bit as much as underfeeding them until they're malnourished and sick is.

I've seen this picture from when Gatorade was first developed to replenish football players at practice in hot Florida weather. Note the player is probably 240+ pounds and he has maybe an 8 ounce cup of Gatorade.

vj61qigzshuk.jpg
  • heiliskrimsli

Well, seeing as I've been called "anorexic looking", and weigh in at a 24.4 BMI, well, it's not hard to figure out why. Perceptions are skewed, since obesity and overweight are now "normalized" in many industrialized nations.

My current BMI is 23.5 and I have been told to stop losing weight because once you get into the normal range it's time to stop. I have also been told that my target BMI (20.5) is "underweight" and that it is wrong to have a target BMI at all.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Packerjohn wrote: »

We have raised at least one generation of crybabies, as I've found it's the rare millennial who can handle anything that doesn't coddle their feefees, and are setting out to screw up the next generation even more.

The Band-Aid(tm) needs to be ripped off and people need to be told that their seven year-old son does not have boobs because there's rBST in the cows, or soy lecithin in the ice cream. It's because they've been feeding him too much ice cream.

A baby sucking on a bottle of Coca-Cola isn't cute, it's a future diabetes patient. French fries are not a magic stop crying pill, it's setting the stage for a heart attack at 40. Kids can in fact play for hours without needing snacks, and they sure as hell don't need to gulp down Gatorade at a tee-ball game. Feeding kids into metabolic disease is child abuse every bit as much as underfeeding them until they're malnourished and sick is.

I've seen this picture from when Gatorade was first developed to replenish football players at practice in hot Florida weather. Note the player is probably 240+ pounds and he has maybe an 8 ounce cup of Gatorade.

vj61qigzshuk.jpg

He's probably under 240 lbs since that picture was taken long before the obesity crisis, and that cup was probably only half full.

Couldn't find stats on Chip Hinton, but one of the other players who started with Gatorade in its early days was Allen Trammel, also a defensive back, whose NFL stats list him at 6'0" and 190 lbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

It's entirely possible for there to be multiple problems. For girls who have anorexia, anorexia is a problem. That too high a percentage of our population is obese doesn't change that. How serious obesity is depends, but as someone who was obese and never had anorexia, I'd pick obesity any day -- it was something I was able to address myself and when it started bothering me significantly I did something about it. Anorexia isn't that easy to take care of, as it's a mental disorder. (Other trauma in my childhood was much more problematic for me than obesity also -- I don't think the fact that obesity is more common means that those other things aren't a problem, or that it wouldn't have been better if they hadn't happened.) So really, I find the dismissal of anorexia or bulimia as something to be concerned about, because a lot of people are fat, to be pretty ridiculous.

Current obesity rates of adults is 35% (overweight + obese is more like 2/3s). Are people overweight because they don't know about calories or don't understand the connection between eating more and weight? Before MFP, I would have laughed at that idea, now, I don't know, but one can doubt that teaching everyone to count calories as children is the best way to prevent obesity without thinking that we shouldn't do anything to improve education about nutrition and how calories work and how obesity happens, which again seems to be the strawman that some are pushing on this thread. (Personally, I don't have strong feelings about when calorie counting should be explained, as I'm depressed about people's ability to retain knowledge of numerous other things that ARE taught in school, so don't particular thing it would help or hurt, but am not against it. The OP obviously was not talking about an actual class, however.)

Since this is about obesity in children, the stats are that about 17% of children in the US are obese. That varies quite a bit by race and income: about 14% of white kids are obese, vs. 20% of African-American kids and 22% of Latino kids. (To break down the stats, for white kids, 4% are extremely obese (included in the 14%) and 28.5% are overweight or obese. Just pointing this out because it's lower than I think some are suggesting.)

There's an income and education disparity too. For one example: "33 percent of adults who did not graduate high school were obese compared with 21.5 percent of those who graduated from college or technical college. [2008-2010 data]" (http://stateofobesity.org/obesity-rates-trends-overview/)

Also, Children of parents with less than 12 years of education had an obesity rate 3.1 times higher than those whose parents have a college degree. Children living below the federal household poverty level have an obesity rate 2.7 times higher than children living in households exceeding 400 percent of the federal poverty level.
    Children living in low-income neighborhoods are 20 percent to 60 percent more likely to be obese or overweight than children living in high socioeconomic status neighborhoods and healthier built environments. So on.

The stats for anorexia (much less common, but for most more serious) are much lower (1 in 100), of course. If you add bulimia it's something like an additional 2-3%. I'd even argue this could be high, as it's from an ED site, However, the rates vary and are more common for females and more common in middle class and above households, basically the groups where obesity is less common. Depending on where the school is, obesity could be somewhat rare among kids and EDs also rare, but much higher than the national average.

But of course, once again, the bigger point is that concern about national obesity doesn't preclude concern about EDs -- that's a false dichotomy. Now, I don't think anorexia is caused by teaching nutrition, even badly, but since this thread isn't about a class in nutrition or nutrition curriculum, that's always been a strawman.