Embarrassed about losing weight

Hey guys random question... Has anyone else been embarrassed to admit they are trying to lose weight?

Outside of my close immediate family I have not told anyone I'm on a diet or trying to lose weight..

When I first decided to lose weight I would feel embarrassed buying salad or low calorie or no sugar items. I felt like I was being judged although no one said anythingand it was all in my head.

I've lost enough weight that it's obvious now but a coworker asked me last month if I was losing weight and I denied it.

If I'm offered cookies or pizza etc I will still accept and get rid of it later once no one can see I'm not going to eat it.

I guess I got so used to being the' fat one' that it feels weird to not accept food.

Wondering if I'm crazy or if people actually go through this. I'm so positive and happy about the choices I've made to improve my health but I still feel like I'm hiding.

Idk.. Can anyone relate?

Replies

• CrystalJeanCorn
    CrystalJeanCorn Posts: 13 Member
    You guys hit the nail on the head...

The fear of failure and the idea that I don't like myself currently... I guess change is a hard thing even when the change is positive.

I was one of those people who would say size does not define health, I had no health issues at my heaviest weight. But I can admit losing weight makes me feel so much better.

I'm not embarrassed to lose weight but I guess I'm focusing too much on what others think. I don't care about what others think for the most part for any other aspect of my life when it comes to my weight loss I worry people think I'm ashamed of my body or am being hypocritical.

I guess being a big girl has been such a huge part of my identity Im afraid maybe I'll lose some of me with the weight.

Or..... there was that crazy option which my rambling posts kind of support
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Focus on how good losing weight feels
    Ignore what people have to say
    Good luck and keep going
  • krist_krau
    krist_krau Posts: 6 Member
    I also have felt most of the time very good in my body and liked myself even if I am overweight.

I do feel the embarrassment if people notice/ask me about it. If they just say - hey, it looks like you have lost some weight, I don't mind that much, as most of the times I think it's not true (I know I have same weight for some time). Then I just laugh and say thanks. I think I feel embarrassed because if I have to explain it, it means that I have to admit that I have had problems with over-eating or not being active and I feel like I look bad about it.

It's harder when I want to say no to offered snacks at work or drinks/snacks/food at parties. Then I just switch on my logical mind and think of how can I snack as less as possible, I drink my drinks slowly or choose non alcoholic drink. I think I just try to incorporate the extra stuff that is around me in my lifestyle, because for me it's the truth, that I couldn't live only healthy without any side steps.
    The only thing that bothers me about alcohol and party snacks is that even if I am in my calorie range, it always slows down my progress for almost a week. That's why I hate drinking while trying to lose weight. And it's kinda silly that I don't have "guts" to tell people to leave me be and let me have what I want.
  • Randalicious91
    Randalicious91 Posts: 37 Member
    NEVER FEEL EMBARRASSED!!!! The fact that you're trying and that you're all working hard there is no reason to be embarrassed.

You all should be proud of yourselves. Losing weight is hard and the fact that u are trying so hard makes you a warrior. Screw anybody who messes with you cuz when u reach your goal you're going to be laughing at your haters.

And even if u don't meet your goal, body acceptance is hard but if u can't do it how will anyone else. Learn to love yourself no matter what. Ur made in God's image after all!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I actually understand what you mean. I remember feeling like ordering a salad or something was drawing attention to my weight, or making me look like I FELT insecure. This was before MFP days though, when I was younger.

But don't feel embarrassed. You also don't have to talk about it though. You don't have to share, and if someone comments saying you look great just say "thank you" and if they ask you what you're doing a quick "oh, watching what I eat" should shut it down.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    To an extend. Initially I tol nobody about MFP - My husband only after three months. I did say that (as it was the new year) that I was taking a break from all sweets that were still around the office. Given the time of year most people did the same. From thereon I just kept doing it and as I only changed my food choices and learned to say no.

I don't tell people that I tried to loose weight but I will show them how. Plus I never ever said I was on a diet, because I am not. I simply changed my eating habits to match my lifestyle.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I'm embarrassed to say and do not. I'm 10 lb more than my low weight in March which I have not done well at returning to.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    *raises hand* Mostly my embarrassment comes from having started and stopped weight loss practices SO. MANY. TIMES. I don't want to disappoint myself as much as I don't want to have to tell others that. Also, I feel like there is such a strange stigma around weight loss these days. If I tell someone I want to eat healthy and/ or lose weight, sometimes people think that is an open to talk about body-positivity/ fat-shaming and sometimes that is just something that is not open for discussion with me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have many cherished dreams. I pretend that nothing can dissuade me but the truth is that a harsh word can open a floodgate of doubt.

To protect my dreams I take care who I tell. I just do it.
  • vkgiampaolo
    vkgiampaolo Posts: 7 Member
    Jd1360 wrote: »
    *raises hand* Mostly my embarrassment comes from having started and stopped weight loss practices SO. MANY. TIMES. I don't want to disappoint myself as much as I don't want to have to tell others that. Also, I feel like there is such a strange stigma around weight loss these days. If I tell someone I want to eat healthy and/ or lose weight, sometimes people think that is an open to talk about body-positivity/ fat-shaming and sometimes that is just something that is not open for discussion with me.

This is me in a nutshell. I'm also so afraid of failure. And if I'm 100% honest I know I can do betterand don't want others questioning my decisions.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Try to think of it from a health perspective. No need to feel embarrassed about getting healthier. I think there's an increasing awareness of health all around currently. Should be okay to ride that wave without negativity I think.