What's your best comeback?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    @Tacklewasher glad your amused she makes me want to rage cry every damn week. Lately weve both had to work sundays so we only get 2-3 hours with grampa, Shed rather spend the time eating her huge gluttonous meal and then sitting i na food coma for an hour thn go 2 minutes out of the way to help me get pet food. She says "we dont have time we have to visit with grampa" then she goes and takes a 45 minute nap in his living room. I had to carry a 50 pound bag of cat litter home by myself last week....those bags dont last...4 miles with it and i was dieing and then JUST as i got home it broke in the hallway and got everywhere. I sat and cried LOL. Im now looking at finding a friend whose willing to take me to see grampa, Im super done dealing with her *kitten* XD
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    And, I'm finding that I'm intimidating enough that I no longer hear these things. One of my staff started to discuss "wheat belly" with my boss (they've worked together much longer than I've been there), but she no longer tries that *kitten* with me. I'm not mean, but I am dismissive.

It has, honestly, caused issues at home. My wife does repeat whatever shows up in her facebook feed and I regularly tell her to just stop. I don't want to argue with her, but I also don't want to hear it.

I do find that "just stop" works for me and who I am. May not work for others. I say it forcefully enough that people know I'm ticked and back off.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    @Tacklewasher glad your amused she makes me want to rage cry every damn week. Lately weve both had to work sundays so we only get 2-3 hours with grampa, Shed rather spend the time eating her huge gluttonous meal and then sitting i na food coma for an hour thn go 2 minutes out of the way to help me get pet food. She says "we dont have time we have to visit with grampa" then she goes and takes a 45 minute nap in his living room. I had to carry a 50 pound bag of cat litter home by myself last week....those bags dont last...4 miles with it and i was dieing and then JUST as i got home it broke in the hallway and got everywhere. I sat and cried LOL. Im now looking at finding a friend whose willing to take me to see grampa, Im super done dealing with her *kitten* XD

My apologies. Did not mean any offense. And I'm sorry she's treating you badly. <<hugs>>
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member

My apologies. Did not mean any offense. And I'm sorry she's treating you badly. <<hugs>>

hah no its fine XD You know she angers m from my many rants on her stupid points of view hah. And her force feeding me butter attempts LOL

If i were looking at it as an outsider id be laughing XD
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member

hah no its fine XD You know she angers m from my many rants on her stupid points of view hah. And her force feeding me butter attempts LOL

If i were looking at it as an outsider id be laughing XD

Think of her as a challenge, how can you control the conversation in the car by the questions you ask and how you respond to what she says. If you make it a game, it helps to disassociate from the gut emotional reaction.

- brag about your weight loss and detail your method, you can update her each week on your progress
    - act interested and beg for her source on wacky claims, tell her you only follow scientifically proven methods
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member

Uber! Just a suggestion but I love Uber and it has saved me so much stress and the cost isn't as bad as expected.
  • 1982__Emma
    1982__Emma Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2017
    You: Think of number
    Him: 10
    You: Times that number by 5
    Him: 50
    You: Now divide it by 2
    Him: 25
    You: Now subtract 25
    Him: 0
    You: And that is the number of f*cks I give about your opinion

Smile. Walk away, staring intently at him.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    I used to get it from time to time from other gym members, but then hitting that bicep flex shot kinda shuts em down. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    People give me *kitten* for drinking diet soda too. I say "show me the science"
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Oh you just reminded me I have a coke zero in the fridge! I'm hung over so very happy about this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    "I guess you shouldn't drink it then if you don't want to risk it. I'm going to enjoy my drink and get back to work."
    "I don't care about this." Walk away.

Don't engage. Change the subject. Leave.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks. I will give your opinion the consideration it deserves. *walk away*
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    "It's really sooo sweet that you care sooo much for me and my health, but I'm afraid that I already have a boyfriend/husband/significant other. Don't worry, I'm sure it's only have puppy-love that you're feeling, you'll find someone, someday."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Please don't go running to the boss or HR. I'd rather get the talk about soda and find a way to shut him down, then be forever known as the untrustworthy office snitch.

I'll call this the "Don't be a snitch culture", DBASC for short. DBASC is precisely why men can continue to be a-holes in diverse workplaces. The system is structured to destroy men if only women would pull the HR trigger. Do it. End a-hole culture.

If i was being sexually harassed or something serious like that, then yeah that deserves reporting, but i'd give him fair warning of what was to come if he didn't stop! But for petty little arguments, or if someone is getting on my nerves, then no, i'll deal with that myself.

I was partnered up with this guy at work for a few months, he wouldn't sneeze without asking our boss for permission first, he was just irritating. I found out out he was was a snitchy mcsnitch (sorry to use those words, it is the most politest term i can use here on the boards) when my boss told me.
    His exact words to me were "watch what you say and do in front of him, because he comes running to me with everything", my boss had zero respect for him because of this.

My young daughter works in a male dominated field, and some of the things they said to her when she first started were revolting. But she gave them back as good as she got, and they eventually stopped and now she's a respected member of the team. It's sad and annoying that she had to go through this in the beginning, but she held her ground and didn't put up with any of their crap and stomped on their attitude from day one!. Had she gone running to HR, she would have been that lonely employee sitting in the corner in the lunchroom all by herself, after being ostracised by her whole crew.

I wish she didn't have to go through it to begin with and these dicks should have acted like gentlemen, not neanderthals, but her strength, take no BS and wittiness got her through.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I go with a blank stare.
    Then continue to drink the soda.
    No reason to respond at all.
    Some people just like to get a reaction, so don't give this person the satisfaction.
    This. I once got a lecture on how I wouldn't have joint problems if I ate better. When I weighed about 140, and was at a farmer's market with a bunch of veggies.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    My young daughter works in a male dominated field, and some of the things they said to her when she first started were revolting. But she gave them back as good as she got, and they eventually stopped and now she's a respected member of the team. It's sad and annoying that she had to go through this in the beginning, but she held her ground and didn't put up with any of their crap and stomped on their attitude from day one!. Had she gone running to HR, she would have been that lonely employee sitting in the corner in the lunchroom all by herself, after being ostracised by her whole crew.

Lesson of the day, folks! Tolerate and even participate in sexual harassment so that one day, you'll get to be one of the cool chicks in the only place on the planet you can work.
  • Christine_72
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Lesson of the day, folks! Tolerate and even participate in sexual harassment so that one day, you'll get to be one of the cool chicks in the only place on the planet you can work.

Yeah it's a shame she had to put up with it to begin with, but it is what it is unfortunately :( And no, she's not going to leave an $1,100 per week job because of a few idiots that she is well equipped to handle!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Yeah it's a shame she had to put up with it to begin with, but it is what it is unfortunately :( And no, she's not going to leave an $1,100 per week job because of a few idiots that she is well equipped to handle!

You're using this and I assume similar experiences to denounce the "office snitch" when this story just makes me feel slimy. She may not have had the courage or circumstances to go to HR, but that doesn't make that action wrong. Do you really think this? I'm legit a bit worried.
  • Christine_72

You're using this and I assume similar experiences to denounce the "office snitch" when this story just makes me feel slimy. She may not have had the courage or circumstances to go to HR, but that doesn't make that action wrong. Do you really think this? I'm legit a bit worried.

Yep.

And so be it :smile: