MFP or WW?

I can't decide. :-/

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I would go mfp, but I like accurate numbers, and don't understand the vagueness of ww.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Absolutely MFP! I left WW after a week. Besides, MFP has a better community, and is free.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    MFP is free.

This
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Your on mfp asking if you should use it or ww .....so people are going to say mfp
    But like others have said it's free
    Its simply counting calories ...cico
    Lovely community online 24hrs
    Personally counting syns or points baffles me, why not just calories?!
    At the end of the day only you will know what will work for you.. good luck
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    MFP .

It workes for me before and is working for me. this time
    Also its free and i always have my phome with me so use MFP phone app
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    I've done both. Some people like WW because they benefit from the weekly meetings. When I did WW, I found the tracking to be complicated, difficult and time consuming, especially dealing with point values, etc. I like MFP because I never have to write anything, and hardly have to type to track my food, and it is very straightforward. I get instant gratification with MFP in being able to see my macros and my nutrition as well as my calories. And it's free, for now.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    MFP by a landslide.
  • keilee0408
    keilee0408 Posts: 65 Member
    MFP all the way!!!
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    I just finished with WW - I did really well, but I just can not afford $50 a month. So here I am! I lost my first 28 pounds so here is to the next 52 pounds. However I will miss my free fruits and veggies!
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    consumone wrote: »
    I just finished with WW - I did really well, but I just can not afford $50 a month. So here I am! I lost my first 28 pounds so here is to the next 52 pounds. However I will miss my free fruits and veggies!

That's great! Congratulations!
  • KM0692
    Sometimes I think I'm considering WW for the free fruits and veggies. I notice that when I count calories, I don't eat that many. When I count WW points, I do. But I am annoyed that my Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich is 8 points when it's only 160 calories. :(
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2017
    Did you post this question on the WW forums too? Just thinking the responses will be biased.

Oh wait... they got rid of them, didn't they...

Anyway. MFP. Though I didn't mind WW, and the website is fancier. But I do better and learned more here.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    KM0692 wrote: »
    I can't decide. :-/

WW is no longer points = calories. Certain foods now have punitively high point values now. Yes, you can eat bread everyday but you are going to be stuck eating lower calories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/holistic-or-horrifying-not-everyone-loves-weight-watchers-new-program/2015/12/24/ce96cf38-a97f-11e5-8058-480b572b4aae_story.html

Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. With MFP I don't get punished for making what WW believes are "bad" choices.
  • KM0692
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Did you post this question on the WW forums too? Just thinking the responses will be biased.

Anyway. MFP. Though I didn't mind WW, and the website is fancier. But I do better and learned more here.

I think I did. And do you think you do better here because you feel less deprived? WW seems a lot more restrictive now (versus when they had the Points Plus program going).
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I've been successful with both WW and MFP, but found that MFP is a way to make my weight loss more sustainable for the long haul. I've learned more with MFP and the community is very helpful. Besides, it's free and there's no boring meetings to sit through!
  • KM0692
    edited April 2017
    I've been successful with both WW and MFP, but found that MFP is a way to make my weight loss more sustainable for the long haul. I've learned more with MFP and the community is very helpful. Besides, it's free and there's no boring meetings to sit through!

Yes, I am thinking that calorie counting might be more practical in terms of learning portion control of foods I want to enjoy for the rest of my life (like ice cream and other treats)! :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2017
    KM0692 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I think I did. And do you think you do better here because you feel less deprived? WW seems a lot more restrictive now (versus when they had the Points Plus program going).

I was actually on the Points Plus program. It was very restrictive, I just didn't know it. It had me on 1100 calories a day (at the end, I tracked on both MFP and WW to compare). No wonder I felt like crap on WW, even with making good choices. 1100 isn't enough for a 5' 6" woman.

I think I do better here because I have more control over how much I should eat based on what's going on in my life (eg. WW kicks you off if you get pregnant. I'm pregnant now and am still able to intelligently use MFP to help me stay on track gaining wise), plus I've learned a lot about nutrition here and fueling my body. But I like that here, since it's free, I can choose to have a maintenance month around Christmas or on vacations if I want to (though to be fair I am less likely to hold myself accountable to my goals on MFP than WW, maybe for the same reason). However, the database was harder to learn (there are more incorrect entries in the database on MFP than there were on WW). Plus learning what good daily calorie goals were for me took time. When I want to lose, 1650-1750 is where it's at for me. Gaining is at 2650-2800. Haven't figured out maintenance yet. Trial and error...

ETA: I guess WW was good for "quick" weight loss at the time. But I never could have maintained that level of effort for long periods (I used it for about 4 months). I could see myself using MFP for many years to come however (admittedly I hope I don't have to be here forever but I'm coming to terms with the fact I might be one of those people who will have to be here forever lol). Been here 3 or 4 years already. Looking back, I kind of feel like WW only teaches you the things they want you to believe... in a way... where as here, the community encourages learning about a lot of different ways of doing things and encourages one to actually do research on things not promoted on their own website.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    My sister lost weight using WW and recommended it to me. I signed up and didn't even stick around for the full month. I didn't like it at all. For some reason the points system confused me. It's much easier for me to just look at the calories in something.
    My area also doesn't have meetings...so I wasn't sure what I was paying for.
  • KM0692
    My sister lost weight using WW and recommended it to me. I signed up and didn't even stick around for the full month. I didn't like it at all. For some reason the points system confused me. It's much easier for me to just look at the calories in something.
    My area also doesn't have meetings...so I wasn't sure what I was paying for.

No meetings where I am either. Closest one: 240 miles. :neutral: