measuring question

Aarjono
Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
When you make a recipe with lots of different ingredients, do you then weight the final product to figure out grams per serving, or what?

Am I overthinking this?

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    If you want to be more accurate you can do that. I have a few times with things like chili, but now I don't care to be that particular and I just estimate.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    What I've been doing so far is calculating for the entire recipe and then dividing it into containers, so I add all the calories for all the ingredients and then divide it out into 10 tupperwares, and then each serving is 1/10 of the total. Yeah, it might not be completely accurate, but I've been doing pretty well so far with this method.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    typically I do the serving size in grams - so if the overall product weighs 500g, I log the recipe as 500 servings, then each time I eat it, I log the weight in g as number of servings - it makes it easily adjustable to fit my goals for a given day
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    typically I do the serving size in grams - so if the overall product weighs 500g, I log the recipe as 500 servings, then each time I eat it, I log the weight in g as number of servings - it makes it easily adjustable to fit my goals for a given day

^^this
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    What I've been doing so far is calculating for the entire recipe and then dividing it into containers, so I add all the calories for all the ingredients and then divide it out into 10 tupperwares, and then each serving is 1/10 of the total. Yeah, it might not be completely accurate, but I've been doing pretty well so far with this method.

+1 for this method. Typically I batch cook for a week so it all evens out by the end of the week. In other situations, the difference is usually small enough that it doesn't affect my progress towards my goals.
  • shaneozouf
    shaneozouf Posts: 59 Member

I have done this before, however it doesn't allow you to easily project how many calories a typical "serving" that you (or another member of your family) will take. This method will almost always end up saying "1 cal/srv" or something similar if you do this.

My preferred method is to weigh the final product and divide it into the number of servings you expect it to be, or want it to be.

To be less accurate, but still OK, you could divide it by volume instead of mass (ie, number of cups).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2017
    shaneozouf wrote: »

I have done this before, however it doesn't allow you to easily project how many calories a typical "serving" that you (or another member of your family) will take. This method will almost always end up saying "1 cal/srv" or something similar if you do this.

My preferred method is to weigh the final product and divide it into the number of servings you expect it to be, or want it to be.

To be less accurate, but still OK, you could divide it by volume instead of mass (ie, number of cups).

i'm confused...I don't need to project with this method, because I just log what I eat when I serve it up - one day it might be 200g another it might be 400g - all depends on how it fits my macros

the cal per serving should be really low in an option like this - so you can easily tweak it to your daily calories
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Thanks all!!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member

I do this but by 100 grams rather than grams.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    shaneozouf wrote: »

i'm confused...I don't need to project with this method, because I just log what I eat when I serve it up - one day it might be 200g another it might be 400g - all depends on how it fits my macros

the cal per serving should be really low in an option like this - so you can easily tweak it to your daily calories

I never thought to do it this way, always just did the number of servings in grams, but now I'm inspired!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    cathipa wrote: »

^^this

Yup, me too.