Indian food makes me happy to eat vegetables.

I was sitting here eating my lunch and I have SO MUCH JOY about my meal prep this week. Maybe I'm just a weirdo who likes food too much but I keep having to wipe this stupid grin off my face with every bite I take.

Just wanted to share with the MFP world, if you haven't tried Indian food, there is a world of options and flavors that will blow your mind and are pretty decent calorically.

FWIW, lunch today is Tofu Tikka Masala, Spiced Eggplant with Peppers and Tomatoes, and 1/2 bag of frozen green beans. 658 calories, 41g Carbs, 37g Fat, and 30g Protein. (I'm doing legz tonight so my meals are a little bigger than normal today...this was like, six cups of food, so a normal person could probably...want to...eat less. :D )

Do you have a recipe that just makes you giddy about veggies?

Replies

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Spinach, chickpeas, canned diced tomatoes, a little garlic and onion, garam masala, cardamom. Very good. Also, cauliflower is delicious in pretty much any curry, and can even be grated and used as rice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    My current passions: roasted brussels sprouts, roasted broccoli, cauliflower in just about any Indian-inspired sauce, sauteed sugar snap peas with lots of chili, zucchini noodles in tahini sauce.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Cauliflower bhaji, love the stuff
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    My current passions: roasted brussels sprouts, roasted broccoli, cauliflower in just about any Indian-inspired sauce, sauteed sugar snap peas with lots of chili, zucchini noodles in tahini sauce.

Roasted crucifers are sooo my jam too. Love grilling them.
    Never considered zoodles in tahini. Mostly because I only think of tahini as going in hummus or baba ganoush. Mmmmmm

You know, I'm beginning to think I just like food.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Potato. Peel, boil, mash. Place next to steak. Giddy.

Steak and potatoes are so good! I've become partial to microwaving or boiling little red ones and smashing them flat. Once they're smooshed, I fry in a non-stick pan with a smidgie of oil. Then they're CRISPY and I'm a fan of the crunch, man.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    I love vegetables all the time, but my current desire is to learn to make Ethiopian style collard greens, spinach, and cabbage.

I have a good Indian cookbook I would recommend: 660 Curries. It's often more work than I'm willing to put in, but lots of deliciousness.

All kinds of gazpacho -- so wonderful whenever it's warm outside.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love vegetables all the time, but my current desire is to learn to make Ethiopian style collard greens, spinach, and cabbage.

I have a good Indian cookbook I would recommend: 660 Curries. It's often more work than I'm willing to put in, but lots of deliciousness.

I just went down to the cafe at work to get something to drink and I saw they had gazpacho so I bought some on impulse. It was delicious! One of my favorite summer foods.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    OMG i love indian food.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Off the subject of indian but I saw someone mentioned ethiopian... i have a recipe for Tikel Gomen that is to die for!!! potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions....mmmm
  • lemurcat12
    Post it if it's good!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Love roasted veggies and mashed cauliflower... just too cheap to buy fresh veggies and often too lazy to prepare them!

I don't care for Indian flavors though, to be honest.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I'd be interested in the eggplant recipe...
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Indian food is LIFE
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Indian flavors are A1 <3 . Most favorite is brocolli dry roasted after being salted and smothered in cinnamon and curry powder- I actually planned my carb macro tomorrow around having 370g of it haha
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I could eat a flip-flop if it was soaked in a good vindaloo
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member

not enough curries.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Morrocan spiced vegetarian pie. Butternut squash and spinnach with spices and filo pastry. Om nom nom.
  • lemurcat12

not enough curries.

6 more would be good. ;-)
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    I <3 my cuisine!! Its the best. I started cooking a couple of months ago and follow Kabita's kitchen on Youtube for instructions! I love all the ginger, garlic cumin powder, coriander powder and kashmiri red chilli powder in my food!! But I gotta admit its kinda tough to cook and all that masala makes me sweat lol