Tried running today

I'm into my new life of losing weight eating healthier. So I decided to try an run today. It was probably a sight to see I felt as if my belly an sides where bouncing all over the place. Should I just deal with the bouncing of fat, wear compression clothing or loose a little more before I run. I'm 5ft 6 245 lbs, I started at 267 so I'm doing good.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    How do your knees feel?
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Don't worry about the clothes. Keep running. The endorphins are amazing. And so is the good soreness in the legs. I bet feeling less bounce over the next few weeks is going to be pretty awesome, too.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Deal with it and keep moving. Enjoy the run.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Nice man.

You might feel more comfortable in a compressed shirt if things giggling kind take your attention away from the task.

Just take it real easy, as slower than upur slowest speed. Let your body get use to it over several weeks.

I second the C25k app. I wish I started with that, it would of made things a lot more easier ar first.

Once aga in excellent choice :).
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I found a great pair of compression pants at target, they have a high waist that comes up to my actual true waist which is rare given how big my belly is. But I bought one size too small and they're fabulous. It keeps my giant tubby belly from bouncing. I honestly quit jogging faster because of the distraction, not because I'm tired.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    I started around the same weight you did and yes, compression clothing helps with the jiggles. I wear my running tights fairly high up the waist and usually use capri or longer lengths on shorts. Same for shirts, though we well endowed chicks just wear torturously tight sports bras. Compression shirts help, too. It makes it easier for me to run versus having loose clothes flapping around on top of my own body flopping around. Whatever's comfortable and no worries on what it looks like. You'll get into the intensity enough not to care what you look like.

Third on the C25K app! And don't be afraid to repeat a week or even do something in between weeks. I had to do a week 3-1/2, my own custom intervals to bridge the huge difference between week 3 and 4.

My cheeks jiggle when I run, too. But I just have to live with that LOL
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Congratulations to you. We all have started somewhere. And you did the hardest thing, beginning in the first place. Since it seems like you are only bringing it up because of how you might look while running, don't worry about the jiggling. Just make sure your knees and ankles are ok. I'm at 180 and still have knee/plantar fasciitus issues. Listen to your body. I agree with an above poster, maybe run/walk until you feel comfortable.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    hokiemom14 wrote: »
    First off, from a person who runs, congratulations on getting yourself out there. I know the jiggle can be a pain so maybe you can try some compression shorts that hold you in a bit more. I am so inspired by new runners and love seeing people out running who you know are a bit newer to it. I am honestly your biggest fans and wish I could personally cheer every new runner on. Fortunately, the running community is a very supportive group of people overall. Everyone runs different distances at different paces yet everyone is always cheering each other on. Running is also an awesome way to get a full body workout and see fairly quick results :) Awesome job on your weight loss so far.

Love this response! I have been into cycling for years and, while there is support, it's nothing like what you get from the running community. At my first 5K, I struggled to finish and my one wish was not to finish last. When I panted my way through the finish line with only 3 people behind me, there was an amazing crowd waiting around to hand me water, pat my back, and cheer me on the rest of the way. Truly amazing <3
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    edited April 2017
    I started running at 240 and I'm also 5'6. You totally got this! Don't be discouraged by the jigglyness. I also recommend high waist compression pants/shorts/capris. It totally takes away the awkward sort of "pain" feeling from the bouncing. Although, you also just get used to it lol. And I promise that you can feel it more than ANYONE can see it! Just make sure you are paying attention to how your knees and ankles are feeling. Keep it up and congratulations!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I hate the way my stomach bounces when I run, but honestly I find it to be motivating. If you find that it's genuinely uncomfortable, then you might want to look into some compression clothes. It's really just a matter of personal preference.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2017
    Don't worry about the fat bouncing. If it bothers you, wear slightly baggy hoodie. Well done, and keep going. Also ease into it, don't do too much too soon.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Don't worry about the clothes. Keep running. The endorphins are amazing. And so is the good soreness in the legs. I bet feeling less bounce over the next few weeks is going to be pretty awesome, too.

Totally this^^

Congratulations!! The running community is pretty amazing!!! My running friends are the reason I learned to love it. I cycle as well and have to agree with @jessicapk there is not the same kind of support and camaraderie that running has!!! It's amazing!!! If you are going to continue to run I suggest you join some threads for beginners for tips and advise, such as don't try to go too fast too soon!!
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    I'm currently 287 and I just started running too. I'm doing the c25k program. Actually the zombie run version. It's fun and it eases you into running. I find it empowering! Good for you
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Great job! It is hard at first but it becomes fun after a few weeks. Be careful though, running becomes addictive ;)

I also recommend the C25K app - I started with the free one by ZenLabs. Be prepared to repeat a few weeks. Just keep plugging at it and you will get there.

I came across several clothing challenges when I started running. I've lost quite a bit of weight but was medically obese when I started the C25K program.

1) Compression shirts and high waist running tights help with the belly jiggle. Honestly, I stopped worrying about it after a while -- became used to it.

2) Get fitted for really great running shoes at a running store. I went through blisters, foot pain, and knee pain until I finally broke down and spent the money on a good pair of shoes.

3) Thigh rub and shorts riding up -- Wear long shorts or Capri length running tights to avoid this problem.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    WOW thanks for all the great feedback it's really motivating.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Great job! It is hard at first but it becomes fun after a few weeks. Be careful though, running becomes addictive ;)

I also recommend the C25K app - I started with the free one by ZenLabs. Be prepared to repeat a few weeks. Just keep plugging at it and you will get there.

I came across several clothing challenges when I started running. I've lost quite a bit of weight but was medically obese when I started the C25K program.

1) Compression shirts and high waist running tights help with the belly jiggle. Honestly, I stopped worrying about it after a while -- became used to it.

2) Get fitted for really great running shoes at a running store. I went through blisters, foot pain, and knee pain until I finally broke down and spent the money on a good pair of shoes.

3) Thigh rub and shorts riding up -- Wear long shorts or Capri length running tights to avoid this problem.

I did go to a running place an got great shoes already about 3 weeks ago. Feet, hips an knees where killing me just from walking/hiking and working out. I knew shoes made a difference but omg never realized how much. About 90% of the pain is gone.