Are you a hard gainer, please read!

Replies

• Why is it that you should eat pizza begals Candy etc? those are really unhealthy it's quality of quanity eating Pizza begals candy and more???? there must be a healthier list then adding those. Don't add an unhealthy list with a healthy list
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Why is it that you should eat pizza begals Candy etc? those are really unhealthy it's quality of quanity eating Pizza begals candy and more???? there must be a healthier list then adding those. Don't add an unhealthy list with a healthy list

I am trying to gain weight and,as long as I've hit my macros and the majority of my diet is nutritious,I see no harm in eating things like pizza.
    For years I thought I should only eat "healthy "food and as a result I was unable to gain weight because I simply couldn't eat enough to gain weight.
    There's nothing wrong with the foods you mention as long as you're eating a wide,varied diet and you don't have any medical issues.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    going to bump this.
  • phrc24
    phrc24 Posts: 5 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    going to bump this.

What are some of the best far sources ? I feel like I have a good diet, I'm 5 11" and currently at 175. I eat around from 3800 to 4500+ calories a day and it's still kind of hard to gain weight. My diet is really high on carbs and protein ( getting above the recommended goal ) but I'm having trouble reaching my fat goals and I think that's where I'm messing up. Maybe my diet is "too" lean and it's not really helping me to bulk up, you guys can add me to see my diary so I can get a more objective answer. My meals are basically 6 oz of chicken, salmon and ground beef. The chicken comes along a cup of white rice and broccoli and sometimes a full avocado. The salmon is mixed with a cup of broccoli and a sweet potato. The ground beef goes with a cup of whole wheat pasta. Throughout the day I would have snacks such as mass gainer shakes, cookies, bananas, Greek yogurt, PB&J sandwiches.. my breakfast consists of 10egg whites mixed with a scoop of mass gainer ( yes, I drink the egg whites ) and bowl of two oatmeal packages with two cups of whole milk. I'm a college student so my exercise is not too high, I workout 5 to 6 days a week. I'm usually in the gym for about 45-50 minutes and I work out 1 muscle group each day. My exercises are very heavy for about 10 reps and usually 3 or 4 sets. ( Monday- back , Tuesday- chest, ... etc ) I don't do any cardio at all. Any tips are much aprecidated!! Thank you in advance everybody.
  • psuLemon
    phrc24 wrote: »
    going to bump this.

What are some of the best far sources ? I feel like I have a good diet, I'm 5 11" and currently at 175. I eat around from 3800 to 4500+ calories a day and it's still kind of hard to gain weight. My diet is really high on carbs and protein ( getting above the recommended goal ) but I'm having trouble reaching my fat goals and I think that's where I'm messing up. Maybe my diet is "too" lean and it's not really helping me to bulk up, you guys can add me to see my diary so I can get a more objective answer. My meals are basically 6 oz of chicken, salmon and ground beef. The chicken comes along a cup of white rice and broccoli and sometimes a full avocado. The salmon is mixed with a cup of broccoli and a sweet potato. The ground beef goes with a cup of whole wheat pasta. Throughout the day I would have snacks such as mass gainer shakes, cookies, bananas, Greek yogurt, PB&J sandwiches.. my breakfast consists of 10egg whites mixed with a scoop of mass gainer ( yes, I drink the egg whites ) and bowl of two oatmeal packages with two cups of whole milk. I'm a college student so my exercise is not too high, I workout 5 to 6 days a week. I'm usually in the gym for about 45-50 minutes and I work out 1 muscle group each day. My exercises are very heavy for about 10 reps and usually 3 or 4 sets. ( Monday- back , Tuesday- chest, ... etc ) I don't do any cardio at all. Any tips are much aprecidated!! Thank you in advance everybody.

Yea, you follow too much of a typical bro-diet. You don't need to eat lean to be lean. So replace some of your lean for fattier cuts of meat... so removed skinless chicken with wings or something with skin, add in some lamb, pork (not chops) and add fatty cuts of beef. Dark fishes are great. Replace egg whites with whole eggs and add in plenty of nuts, oils, and avocado.

Also, why in the world do you have such huge variation in calories? You need to figure out your maintenance levels and do a small increase over that (~10% over your maintenance level). This is how you stay lean, as well as train hard.
  • phrc24
    going to bump this.

Yea, you follow too much of a typical bro-diet. You don't need to eat lean to be lean. So replace some of your lean for fattier cuts of meat... so removed skinless chicken with wings or something with skin, add in some lamb, pork (not chops) and add fatty cuts of beef. Dark fishes are great. Replace egg whites with whole eggs and add in plenty of nuts, oils, and avocado.

Also, why in the world do you have such huge variation in calories? You need to figure out your maintenance levels and do a small increase over that (~10% over your maintenance level). This is how you stay lean, as well as train hard.

Well my goal is to get at least 4,000 calories a day but since I'm trying to put on weight and I get hungry at random times so I just try to eat really anything. That's what makes my calorie intake vary so much. I train 5 to 6 times a week and my metabolism is fast so I don't have a problem burning fat. I think my weakest point is my diet and once I get that figured out I'm going to be able to improve a lot. Thank you for the ideas of what I could add to my diet. Is there a post or a website where I could find some kind of diet like that ? I'm just trying to have an idea of meals that I can make. Also, how many whole eggs would you reccomend ? I have heard that eating more than 3-4 per day is bad for your health.. again this could be just a myth. Thanks for the advice !
  • psuLemon
    going to bump this.

Well my goal is to get at least 4,000 calories a day but since I'm trying to put on weight and I get hungry at random times so I just try to eat really anything. That's what makes my calorie intake vary so much. I train 5 to 6 times a week and my metabolism is fast so I don't have a problem burning fat. I think my weakest point is my diet and once I get that figured out I'm going to be able to improve a lot. Thank you for the ideas of what I could add to my diet. Is there a post or a website where I could find some kind of diet like that ? I'm just trying to have an idea of meals that I can make. Also, how many whole eggs would you reccomend ? I have heard that eating more than 3-4 per day is bad for your health.. again this could be just a myth. Thanks for the advice !

But how did you come up with 4K? Was it an online calculator? Did you track calories for an extended period of time? Is that a random number that you picked from other people who are bulking? I ask because I know very few who actually need that high. The ones that do have active jobs or do endurance events.

And no, there is no website that have that diet. It's just foods that are high in calories.
  • phrc24
    going to bump this.

But how did you come up with 4K? Was it an online calculator? Did you track calories for an extended period of time? Is that a random number that you picked from other people who are bulking? I ask because I know very few who actually need that high. The ones that do have active jobs or do endurance events.

And no, there is no website that have that diet. It's just foods that are high in calories.

I came up with that number with this app. Even though I just recently downloaded the app and actually start tracking everything I eat I have been doing the same diet for about 3 months. If you can see my diary you could see my calorie intake yourself. I will do more research about it and will post the diet I come up with here in a couple days to make it easier for other people that might have the same problem
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2017
    going to bump this.

I came up with that number with this app. Even though I just recently downloaded the app and actually start tracking everything I eat I have been doing the same diet for about 3 months. If you can see my diary you could see my calorie intake yourself. I will do more research about it and will post the diet I come up with here in a couple days to make it easier for other people that might have the same problem

How active is your job? What are your stats?

Also, I'd suggest getting off the bro-split/body part lifting program and get on a structured program. Doing just one body part is highly inefficient and won't maximize muscle growth. MPS occurs over a 48ish hour window so you want to hit the body muscle groups 2-3x a week.
  • Deadships
    Deadships Posts: 16 Member
    Hey bro, new to the site but great past. Just a quick question. Where would you recommend to start in terms of working out. Are there any specific workout programmes dedicated for hardgainers?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Deadships wrote: »
    Are there any specific workout programmes dedicated for hardgainers?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Deadships
    Deadships Posts: 16 Member
    pbryd wrote: »
    Deadships wrote: »
    Are there any specific workout programmes dedicated for hardgainers?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Alright man, thanks.
  • phrc24
    edited April 2017
    psuLemon wrote:

Also, I'd suggest getting off the bro-split/body part lifting program and get on a structured program. Doing just one body part is highly inefficient and won't maximize muscle growth. MPS occurs over a 48ish hour window so you want to hit the body muscle groups 2-3x a week.

Im a college student I'm somewhat active but my main exercise comes from going to the gym though.
    Doing one muscle group per day throughout the week has been working for me. Slowly but steady. What workout would you suggest ? Btw i have been gaining about 1-3 lbs every week
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017
    psuLemon wrote:

Im a college student I'm somewhat active but my main exercise comes from going to the gym though.
    Doing one muscle group per day throughout the week has been working for me. Slowly but steady. What workout would you suggest ? Btw i have been gaining about 1-3 lbs every week

So you are averaging 2 lbs a week... which is crazy fast, unless you don't mind gaining a higher percentage of fat. Also, it means your maintenance is around 3k, which is pretty much where most of us maintain.

So 1x will "work", but it's not optimal. If you are looking to maximize muscle gains, there are much better approaches. In fact, the only people that should be on a 1 body part per week split are those who are on special supplements. And you will be surprised how much stronger you get once you are on a good program. Just as @trigden1991 ... he was converted to the dark side recently.

Now, depending on what your goals are, will determine what program you should do. But below is a good list of programs. I'd either do a 3 day full body or a upper/lower split.

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Bumping because I can.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    psuLemon wrote:

So you are averaging 2 lbs a week... which is crazy fast, unless you don't mind gaining a higher percentage of fat. Also, it means your maintenance is around 3k, which is pretty much where most of us maintain.

So 1x will "work", but it's not optimal. If you are looking to maximize muscle gains, there are much better approaches. In fact, the only people that should be on a 1 body part per week split are those who are on special supplements. And you will be surprised how much stronger you get once you are on a good program. Just as @trigden1991 ... he was converted to the dark side recently.

Now, depending on what your goals are, will determine what program you should do. But below is a good list of programs. I'd either do a 3 day full body or a upper/lower split.

Can confirm full body/PPL splits are the way forward.
  • tflynn817
    tflynn817 Posts: 3 Member
    looking for community and support as hard gainer. most of this thread seems to be about people believing they are hard gainers but not really being one.
    i weigh 170lbs, eat 3300 calories/day of good clean food, exercise 5x/wk by lifting weights and stretching, and have a desk job. dont adjust your screen, i actually track very precisely and need that many calories just to weigh 170.
    my goal is to get up to 180 lbs. i will probably need to eat 4200 cals/day to get up to that.

looking to start up conversation on a variety of topics.
    right now, have other hard gainers have been able to eat 4000 cals/day (sounds like a nightmare to me) while eating clean? i consider clean to be high quality, organic foods, and typically not combining too much fat and carbs in the same meal.
    has anyone been able to do this while being vegetarian? ive found i basically have to eat higher carbs to get enough protein from lentils, quinoa, rice, etc.
    it seems pretty challenging to eat that many calories without adding oils, fats, etc but i find that my fat gain goes up when i eat high carb and high fat.

curious if you all have any thoughts and just looking for support and a community while im chewing and eating all day! thanks!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    @tflynn817 I have to eat a restricted diet, so it's mostly "clean" foods as well - yes, I know that definition is very vague. I also have to eat low-ish carb plus everything cooked, so it makes things very tough for the time being. That being said, I can still get up to 2500 on good days. If I was to eat like you, I think 4000 would be easy. Here's some suggestions:

1) Don't worry about food combining unless if there are medical reasons involved.
    2) Try switching to moderate carb, high fat, or vice versa. I am guessing you have a good idea of some foods from each macro, so I won't give examples.
    3) you are going to gain fat no matter what when you are in a surplus. You will either have to do a bulk/cut cycle strength training, or bulk and recomp (the latter supposedly takes a longer time).
    4) Do you eat fish and eggs? Salmon, sardines with skin and bones, Tuna, and Mackerel are high calorie foods. Put butter/oil on Salmon (you can eat the skin, btw) can give you a lot of calories and protein.
  • psuLemon
    tflynn817 wrote: »
    looking for community and support as hard gainer. most of this thread seems to be about people believing they are hard gainers but not really being one.
    i weigh 170lbs, eat 3300 calories/day of good clean food, exercise 5x/wk by lifting weights and stretching, and have a desk job. dont adjust your screen, i actually track very precisely and need that many calories just to weigh 170.
    my goal is to get up to 180 lbs. i will probably need to eat 4200 cals/day to get up to that.

looking to start up conversation on a variety of topics.
    right now, have other hard gainers have been able to eat 4000 cals/day (sounds like a nightmare to me) while eating clean? i consider clean to be high quality, organic foods, and typically not combining too much fat and carbs in the same meal.
    has anyone been able to do this while being vegetarian? ive found i basically have to eat higher carbs to get enough protein from lentils, quinoa, rice, etc.
    it seems pretty challenging to eat that many calories without adding oils, fats, etc but i find that my fat gain goes up when i eat high carb and high fat.

curious if you all have any thoughts and just looking for support and a community while im chewing and eating all day! thanks!

What is your weight doing at 3300? And why do you think you need to add another 900 calories on top of that. Considering the limitations of muscle growth, adding a ton of calories on top will increase the amount of fat you gain vs muscle.