Am I Just an Oddball - Bra Cup Size Went Up?

When I first started, I read a lot about breast size shrinking with weight loss. I didn't think that much about it honestly because I was busty even when I was small - back like 20 years ago. Anyway, I've lost my first 20 (yay me!) and my clothes are starting to get too loose. I found an old bra that had been too tight around, so I tried it on. It fit so well! Curious, I looked at the size to see how I had changed. It happened to be my mom's old bra, so I found that while I had gone down a strap size, the cup size was bigger. Somehow, I went from a 40 G to a 38 I. At some point, I'd like to see what my feet look like when I'm standing, so I'm curious if this happened to other people. Did you lose around your back before the boob?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Genetics will help to dictate this. Also, bra sizes have seemed to change for vanity reasons over the years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Lost a cup size .. somewhat.

With H&M bras both 80C or 85B work for me, lost almost 30kg at this point and used to be at 85C.

But they did shrink as theres quite a bit loose skin now ._.

• lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    2w0yz8iddkr8.jpg

Oh that is really helpful! Thank you!!!
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but how old is the bra? Vanity sizing has hit the lingerie market, too.
  • lucypstacy
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but how old is the bra? Vanity sizing has hit the lingerie market, too.

I'm not sure how old - maybe 3 or 4 years.

I know back when I was about 20 I was a 34 DD, and I was 113lbs at the time. So, I'll be busty regardless. I actually love to lose some of it.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    The back size determines the cup size. For example, if I put on a 36 I will need an F cup. If I wear a 38 I will need a DDD. The larger the back size the smaller the cup.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    It happens... I've just gone down two band sizes, and up two cup sizes accordingly.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    When I first started, I read a lot about breast size shrinking with weight loss. I didn't think that much about it honestly because I was busty even when I was small - back like 20 years ago. Anyway, I've lost my first 20 (yay me!) and my clothes are starting to get too loose. I found an old bra that had been too tight around, so I tried it on. It fit so well! Curious, I looked at the size to see how I had changed. It happened to be my mom's old bra, so I found that while I had gone down a strap size, the cup size was bigger. Somehow, I went from a 40 G to a 38 I. At some point, I'd like to see what my feet look like when I'm standing, so I'm curious if this happened to other people. Did you lose around your back before the boob?

You need to learn more about bra sizing. ;)

Also, stop wearing your mom's old bras. :#
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Happens to me. This is because you are losing fat across the back and chest but not in the breasts themselves. The cup size is determined by the ratio between the underbust measurement (band size) and the actual bust measurement.

ETA: genetics determines where the fat comes off. You can't spot reduce the "girls" as much as some of us would love to be able to.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    It's helpful to think of cup size as a ratio to the band size. The cups of a 34D are going to be smaller than the cups of a 40D.
  • lucypstacy
    Okay, this all makes a lot of sense. I know everything else was looking smaller, but those. Hopefully some of that will come off as well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    The back size determines the cup size. For example, if I put on a 36 I will need an F cup. If I wear a 38 I will need a DDD. The larger the back size the smaller the cup.

Wrong. It is the ratio between the underbust measurement and the full bust measurement. Also, a DDD IS the same as an F. Different manufacturers use different terminology. DDD is 2 sizes bigger than D. F is also 2 sizes bigger than D (D -E -F)